1/100 U-VII C U-Boat

Geez that is so cool. Nothing says scratch built more than this and that space ship that Gag is making. Just awesome.

Thank you Glorfindel.
I always like how you start with virtually nothing an along the way it starts to pop out at you.

Jim

Thank you TRM.

Today was able to apply some more plating to the hull superstructure. Slowly working down the frames.
Every piece adds a little more to it`s character.

Hull5_zpsb7fbfd6f.jpg

Hull6_zps66149c1e.jpg

With the weathering that is already on the hull and the oil-canning from the bulkheads. This ship is looking more and more like a blooded warrior.

I am always open for comments and questions.

Jim

Thank you Grendels.

Added some more hull plates. I had a problem with plate 4 and 5 being a little short on the left side, approx. 1mm.
Using scrap stock that was the same colouring, cut filler pieces to fill the gap. It now looks even.
I have a couple of shaped hull panels that now have their formers in and will install tomorrow when they are fully dry.

So this is where we stand.

Hull9_zpsc313cf8e.jpg

Now have hull to support it self on the stand. ;D

Questions and comments are always welcome.

Jim

Thanks TRM.
As I'm moving aft the plates are becoming more complex and have to spend more time on the logistics and fit before proceeding.

Jim

I know what you mean on the moving aft. I have a 1/72 U ...caugh caugh, ummm.. ::) Waiting for me to finish and had to put the photo etch vents near the prop shafts' inlet. Everything doesn't fair out like the front at all! Looks like you will have it all under control though!! ;)

There's always a way. One just has to figure out all the possibilities.
To me modeling has to be a challenge, or there is no pride and satisfaction at the end of the build.

Jim

Hello.

Short update tonight.
The closer one gets to the stern, the harder the pieces are to fit. It will be nice when I can move on to more detailed work.

This is where she stands tonight.

Hull10_zpsade2adbb.jpg

Questions and comments welcome.

Jim

This is coming along quite quickly. I am glad that - as a plstic modeller - I don't have to shape the parts. That would be the end of me!
Bravo Zulu!

Thank you Tailor and TBadger.
To me that is the fun part. One takes a flat piece of paper or card and by cutting, rolling, folding and formers you end up with a 3D part that looks like something. No different than taking some scavenged bits and styrene stock, shape, glue, to achieve the same thing. ;)

Jim

Hey there Jim, it's great to see another papermodeler here!

She's looking very nice, I'm surprised you didn't die while cutting out those formers, getting them
square and fitting drives me insane :p But it looks like you've made short work of them!

Keep it up!

Thanks Fruit.
I find the secret is to either fasten the keel to a board or build on a grid and don't rush it.
As you can see my cutting mat has a nice cm grid that is nice for this job.

Jim

This is tonight's update so far.
Finished the main part of the hull today. These last few pieces took a little bit of figuring to get the assembly.
The procedure in the manual, when trying to fit the parts was just not going to work. I had to change the order in-order to have the pieces all mesh. Instead of the last panel first, it was better to install the stern torpedo tube first and that last panel last. This gave me the ability to trim and fit that last piece better.

Here the stern torpedo tube is cut and shaped, but just placed in position.

SternTorpedoTube1_zpsc8c016d0.jpg

The next 2 frames are the water tight door for the stern tube cut and shaped, with my burnishing tool beside it.

SternTorpedoTubeDoor1_zps1314cfe1.jpg

SternTorpedoTubeDoor2_zpscfc7679c.jpg

These 2 frames show the stern tube and the water tight door installed.

SternTorpedoTube2_zps211cecd5.jpg

SternTorpedoTube3_zps235f646b.jpg

This shows the final stern panel installed over the stern torpedo tube.

SternTorpedoTube4_zps447f80ff.jpg

How the ship stands at this time.

Hull11_zpseb6e0feb.jpg

Nice to get this part of the hull complete and most of the frame work buried.
I think the main deck is next.

Comments and questions are always welcome. I hope you have enjoyed the build so far along with me.

Jim

Update time.

I was able to install the main decking.
Ran into 1 problem, the last piece was 1/8" too short. Ended up cutting & fitting a small section of decking before the stern piece to make up the difference. She now has a full set of decking.

This is the first section installed.

Deck1_zps89e45795.jpg

A view of the whole deck.

Deck2_zpsdd691fe0.jpg

Nice to see the ship with deck.
May have more latter.

Jim

This is looking great Jim! :eek:

I am really impressed with your build threads; I was unaware that card stock could be used in such shapes. The printed details are very nice as well. She is coming together nicely isn't she?

Latest posts

Back