1/100 U-VII C U-Boat

You are welcome Les.
As it moves along I think she looks better all the time.
No kit is perfect, they all have their issues, whether they're in the kit or self induced. It's how you handle them and move forward. That's modeling. :p

Jim

WOW... amazing bro... I've thought about getting into papercraft myself many times but just couldn't bring myself to do it. You've got me reconsidering it! :)

Hi LrdSatyr8.Thank you.

You could give it a try anytime. You have most of the required tools, just down load a free model to try. Lots out there of every genre.

Jim

Tonight's update.
Hi everyone. The last couple of days I have been working on the ballast tanks for the sub.
These are constructed of several pieces joined together because of their complex shape. they were roll formed then glued together. Today I have been installing the internal formers to give them their final shape. Can only do 1 former at a time as well as dealing with seams that keep wanting to separate, but I have been battling it into submission.
Working on the right tank at the moment. I hope to start to install these sometime tomorrow.

This is the left tank with all the skins assembled and working on the formers, with a clamp holding the shape while the glue dries.

Balast1_zpsbbcb9750.jpg

Here we have the left tank finished and starting on the right, with only one former installed at this time.

Balast2_zps5b643d61.jpg

This is the outward side view of the left tank.

Balast3_zpsb745fac2.jpg

Once these are installed, instruction set 2a will be complete and can move on to the next section.
I hope you are enjoying this build.

Jim

Hi LrdSatyr8, Thanks.

Actually I hardly ever use scissors. :p
Mostly my trusty X-acto knife and #11 blades. As well as a couple of other precision knives in my kit. But man do I go through a lot of blades, on my 2nd 15 pack since January. Have a nice rubberized handle that allows better precision and no cramping. ;D

Jim

Hi.
Did not get much done today, was out most of the day.
Started installing the saddle tanks tonight. This is not an easy job. I think the pieces are too large for a single build and install. It would have been easier if they were in 2 pieces. Anyway I have the left tank installed but needs some clean up. And am working on the right tank. The top is glued in place and waiting for it to dry before securing the bottom, Finicky. ::)

Here is the right side. There are temp. spacers in-place along the top to hold the tabs down while they dry. Most of the bottom tabs are not yet secure.

Ballast4_zpseba1da13.jpg

Hope to get this stage cleaned up tomorrow.

Comments and questions are always welcome.

Jim

Hi contest viewers.
Tonight's update.
Worked more on installing the saddle tanks. These were not the easiest things to install and gave me a bit of trouble. For a first time on a sub, these are about as good as these ones are going to be.
Today have been working on the keel of this sub. This went together pretty straight forword and remained true.
It easily installed on to the bottom of the hull. The keel is actually wide enough to support the sub on the table quite sturdily. I'm not sure why the opening in the centre of the keel, something I will have to research.

Here I am starting to tack down the bottom of the saddle tanks. More work to do.

Ballast5_zps4af1d2ae.jpg

The keel is now glued to the hull.

Keel1_zpsbdfc2ee2.jpg

Side view of the full keel on the stand.

Keel2_zpsf3ab1a04.jpg

Forward side view of the sub as she stands.

Keel3_zpsa6b47fac.jpg

Whats next, the prop shafts, rudder and rear dive planes.

This is a different medium than most here are familiar with. The fit may not be the same as on a plastic model, but the sense of achievement as it tests your skills is great and very satisfying. So if you have any comments or questions do not be afraid to ask.

Jim

Tonight's update.
I would like thank those that are viewing this build as it encourages me to do better.

Today have been working on the stern area. the vertical plane was assembled. With the double thickness of card in the core of this piece then the 2 printed pieces on top of that, makes this plane 4 card thick ( 1mm ). This was then installed along with the exit ports for the prop shafts.

Here we see the vertical plane installed and the 2 shaft ports ready to be placed.

Stern1_zpsbf49bfd1.jpg

Another view of the vertical plane and the shaft ports installed.

Stern2_zps030e3708.jpg

Next up, the prop shafts had to be rolled and glued. Then the outer shaft bearings were rolled on to the ends of the shafts. As well the cones were constructed for part of the bearing assembly and the support brace was folded and glued.

Stern3_zps2d5ec1f0.jpg

A closer view of these parts.

Stern4_zpsaa451676.jpg

The shafts fully assembled.

Stern5_zps813c0ce0.jpg

All those pieces were the installed on to the model. Here is a view of this stage.

Stern6_zps1e8efbee.jpg

Tonight have been working on the props themselves. the hubs and cones have been rolled and assembled. The blades still have to be cut out and shaped, before they can be applied to the hubs.

Stern7_zps7b7050d3.jpg

This is just a view of the stern as she looks tonight.

Stern8_zpsc0bf7eeb.jpg

Tomorrow hope to complete the props and have them attached. Then to see what else can be achieved.
Will update soon and questions and comments are always welcome.

Jim

Hello, short update.
Tonight I am working on the props. Made a simple jig to help with the alignment of the blades, and gave the blades a slight twist before attaching. These are counter rotating, so the second one will have the opposite pitch.

One down one to go.

Props1_zpsfc2fe0e9.jpg

Thank you for watching.

Jim

Thank you Grendels.
Those are the first ones I've ever made. When dry fitting could not get the blades to line up by winging it. Had to make the jig. It was fairly simple after that and looking at some real props helped with the shape.

Jim

Well finished the props and have them installed. It feels more like a ship to have the screws on.

Props3_zps2192a93e.jpg

The stern dive planes have been constructed and installed.

DivePlane1_zps12b76a0c.jpg

Finally the upper centre hull skin has been installed. No more visible superstructure.
I thought there was going to be problems with these after the problems with the saddle tanks, but no.
They went on quite easily, no mods.

DivePlane2_zps72395eeb.jpg

Some detail was added to the bow area.

Bow1_zpsa347dd8d.jpg

Tonight started working on the rudders. One is complete.

Rudder1_zps907abd6e.jpg

That's it for tonight. Lets see what trouble I can get into with these rudders.

Jim

Hello everyone. A short update.
I was able to finish the construction of the rudders this afternoon. They were then installed into the stern and trued up.

Rudder2_zps51a459f0.jpg

This afternoon laminated the card pieces for the support structure for the rudders and dive planes and let then dry under pressure.
This evening I cut out the outer supports for the dive planes. These are 3 card layers thick except for about 1/4" at the end where they attach to the dive plane. There is no pivot axle on the outside of these dive planes and for this length of card is too difficult to roll without it delaminating. ( Tried it :( ) So instead took a small piece of printer papper and rolled an axle of appropriate diameter. Placed this in position on the brace and wrapped that piece of card over it and gluing in position. Then when dry cut the axle flush and colour it.
The result gives me the look of a proper pivot bearing attachment.

The right one is complete.

DivePlane3_zps79d4396e.jpg

Tomorrow will have these installed and the lower support braces for the rudders cut out.
Comments and questions are always welcome.

Jim

Hi Cave Dweller.
This is constructed of 8 1/2" x 11", 110 lb paper card, that is printed through my printer.
It just takes mostly a sharp blade and a steady hand, as well as a vivid imagination. ;D

Jim

Latest posts

Back