1/100 U-VII C U-Boat

Thank's Adam. ;D I know it's another sinker :p. Between the Hunley and myself.

Jim

Now that the GST Zobel is finished it is time to move on to this fish in a can, and see what trouble i can really get myself into. ;D

Jim

Hello herd.
This is the first update on the build.
As with other card and wooden ship models i have seen, the first process is to construct the cradle. This is before one gets to lay any frame or keel. The cradle is not only a display stand but is also a tool to support the ship during it's construction. Helping to prevent damage to the hull and any parts underneath the hull, as well as to keep the hull upright during construction.
The cradle in this kit is a model onto itself, with all the superstructure within it to make it a sturdy platform.

So i present the Cradle.

Cradle_zps0a494202.jpg

Now lets build ourselves a sub.

Comments and questions are always welcome.

Jim

Papermodder said:
Hello herd.
As with other card and wooden ship models i have seen, the first process is to construct the cradle. This is before one gets to lay any frame or keel. The cradle is not only a display stand but is also a tool to support the ship during it's construction. Helping to prevent damage to the hull and any parts underneath the hull, as well as to keep the hull upright during construction.
The cradle in this kit is a model onto itself, with all the superstructure within it to make it a sturdy platform.

So i present the Cradle.

Cradle_zps0a494202.jpg

Jim
Well now that's the weirdest looking VII-C I've seen :)

Biskup said:
Papermodder said:
Hello herd.

So i present the Cradle.

Cradle_zps0a494202.jpg

Jim
Well now that's the weirdest looking VII-C I've seen :)
I second the honorable Mr Biskup

What, you guys have never seen the stealthy B-12 submersible? LOL!!

Nice work on the base there Jim!! Always a good plan to have a keel clamp of sorts!!! ;)

Thanks TRM.
Darkblade88, Biskup, Funny guys. ::)

Not a huge amount of progress so far today. All the sheets for the superstructure had to be laminated to double card to get the 0.5mm thickness that is required. Have to let those sheets cure before one can continue.

Jim

Update time.
Was able to start the internal superstructure, the adhesive had dried.
After assembling the first part of the frame assembly, one can get a feel for the size of this build.
As it stands right now the length of this model is 26" or 66cm long. This is not going to fit in my display case. :p The grid on my cutting board are centimeters for future reference.
Moving on.

This is a view of all the sheets pertaining to the main hull superstructure, after they were laminated to increase their thickness.

FrameParts_zps51a0eca3.jpg

This is the upper deck frame core, after the three sections were glued together.

Frame1_zpsaa9bbe1b.jpg

When this dries the fun begins. She will start to take the shape of who she is suppose to be.

Comments and questions welcome.

Jim

Ran into a little hitch tonight. This kit was designed for A4 sheets, usually i can print to fit for letter size, and it works ok. These printed out all over the place, as far as scale was concerned. Had to reprint the lot at a fixed 95% to make them all equal. At least i had not gone too far into the build before this showed up. In card modeling this is why dry fit is so important to catch these issues, as with plastic kits. Now I'm back to where i was at 6:00. ::)

Jim

Glad you caught the problem early! Might have to try my hand at one of these again once the bench cools off! I will be taking notes!!

Yes. When 2 full length pieces are almost an inch different in length you know you have a problem. These are the trials and tribulations of a modeler.
Yes TRM you should give it a try again.

Jim

Hi everyone.
After last nights debacle, I finally rebuilt the horizontal and vertical risers for the superstructure and called it a night.

Frame2_zps67b9e2ab.jpg

Spent today cutting, fitting and gluing bulkheads to the vertical riser, trying to keep them square. Still have 9 more to do. They will have to wait till morning.
This is like building a ship from scratch. a lot of work but I'm having fun.

This is where I am at.

Frame3_zpse5debfa3.jpg

Frame4_zps55dc8ead.jpg

Frame5_zps90c0a19d.jpg

This can give one more of an idea the size of this model.

With no markings on this sub, I was going through my u-boat archives to try to come up with a certain boat to model this after, but have not yet come up with a solution. Will come up with something.

Jim

Thanks Les.
I didn't think originally it was this big either. Oh well, I wanted to build a larger boat. ;D

Jim

Thank you Glorfindel.

Other than the patterns and colouring, nothing premade here.

Jim

Good stuff man. Im going to have to research paper modeling a little better.This appears to look like it could be a ton of fun. Will you paint the paper or model after your finished building or will you let it white and not paint it at all ?

Hi Hooterville75.
The skin for this model is precoloured and weathered so it does not require painting, only colouring of cut lines, which I use art markers for. But to answer your question, one can paint paper models, they just have to be sealed first.

Jim, with your experence at paper models I would think that wood should be easy. Looking good so far.

Hi Roy.
I do plan down the road to build a wooden ship, but man, those things are expensive. ::)

Jim

Latest posts

Back