Y-Wing WIP Studio Scale

It is tough to get fiber optic to bend at too sharp of an angle. In fact if you look at the math behind it, the fiber will stop carrying light if bent too sharply. So I would practice before you do it in the model

i did do it at 2 diagonal angles. it atually did not break there. it broke at the straight part going into the body of the ship. where its been protectively taped for weeks. a mystery. but we'll see what happens.

Got the brass rods painted copper and will add some weathering to them to bring down the *bling** alot. takes along time for the enamel to dry so next update will be??? anyhoo...whats next? pastels, perhaps?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Cockpit looks superb. Thanks for the cool updates!

I'm interested in you mentioning pastels. I used to enjoy using pastels in art class back at school. Is it anything like those pastels, or completely different?

the same pastels! soo cheap and soo easy to weather with. people use it as a wash with water and detergent but i just use it after i grind some down and take a q-tip and make my streaking and accents with it. after lightly dullcote. pastel onto flat surfaces not gloss. i have bottle ive made of brown, grey and black. the best is to dip the q-tip into the powdery brown pastel then with it on the tip dip it into the black, sprinkle some off an then apply.

Yeah, I was going to aks if they were artist's pastels or not. That sounds really good, and a whole lot cheaper...er, I mean less expensive than Pigments. ;)
Thanx for the lowdown.

Thanks for the excellent tips! I've already bought some dust for weathering the Maquis raider, but this sounds like a far better method. If I buy a pack of colours, it'll give more options for mixing and getting the right tone. At least it seems that way to me.

I also picked up a Tamiya weathering sponge brush. It's like a q-tip (we call them cotton buds across the pond), but obviously needs to be kept clean like a brush.

Yeah exctly. in fact the MIG pigments and soo forth is the same thing , its just pre-grinded up for you. i just take the opposite end off an exacto blade and shave it , a box of all colors of pastel chalks usually isn't more that $5!! heres an example of pastel weathering on my studio scale XWing.

Outstanding! I think you've shown me that one before, PpigP. Always nice to see it again though. :)

Looking forward to seeing your Y-Wing get the same treatment. Keep us posted.

The results are obviously AWESOME!
Since I am an artist, I will look and see if I still have my pastels. I usually work in pen and ink, or graphite!
;)

Superb progress on the Y-Wing!
And the Incom looks great as well - weathering job is a top notch here indeed.

heres the completely finished front. pastels and dull coat done and canopy sealed up. Also a pic of the pastels and tools for that for Igard and Mike. enjoy~

Wow! I havnt really checked in for a few days and what a lovley lot of pics to see! this has been a real joy to watch! great work great model great fun. ;)

Yeah Baby !! Lookin' Hot !! Great Job on th weathering ! Man ... This thing just PoPs off th Screen !! Awesome Job !! I love th Size !

Latest posts

Back