world of tanks

geegad

just wondered if any of you have played this and is it worth taking a look and downloading

geegad

its quite a fun game, although if your not into grinding through game after game to rack up experience, it can get frustrating to get to higher tier tanks.

i also find it a bit hit and miss when it comes to the "random battles" as the communication between players is limited and strategy just goes out the window.

i nonetheless still enjoy playing it from time to time, and its free to play so just have a look at it and play a few games! ;D

Been playing it since it was in Beta....I like it.....there are days that it frustrates the crap out of you, and other days that its almost too easy....all depends on the mode and the ever present Matchmaker.

I'd say pass on this game - the inclusion of golden rounds screams "Pay for Power". I feel the Freemium
model is viable for the future of certain game genres, but WoT doesn't properly set the Freemium model
to solely cosmetic items.

Instead, I'd go for Planetside 2, it's got a lot of tanks, vehicles, the likes. Trust me, you'll like it.

I never understood the whole point of people not saying WoT isn't a free game.

I played it for well over a year and never spent a penny. Sure you don't advance as fast because you only get half the points, so it takes you longer to slog through the tech on a tank to get to the next level.....but the game is all still completely free to play unless you want to drop cash on it.

Premmie shells aren't the magic lance to victory either, and in reality are only marginally better than the other shells. The whole game comes down to teamwork and tactics. I don't care if you have a lvl 10 behemoth, if you don't work as a team...that lvl 10 tank may as well be a lvl 1 traktor.

Besides which, many kits are now coming with coupons to use in game, so gives you a taste of the premium account (more points in victories), some gold, credits and a premium tank which you can use after your premium account expires.

Elm City Hobbies said:
Premmie shells aren't the magic lance to victory either, and in reality are only marginally better than the other shells. The whole game comes down to teamwork and tactics. I don't care if you have a lvl 10 behemoth, if you don't work as a team...that lvl 10 tank may as well be a lvl 1 traktor.
That's not true. They do significant damage. Many time was I oneshoted by tank smaller and weaker than me.
2 days ago I got oneshoted by tier 3 tank when I was in tier 6 and it was done only because it was premium shell. Normally it would take 6-10 shells to do that.

WoT is a free game, no doubt, but I'm saying there is certain aspects in the game that make it less than fair.
A proper Freemium game, and WoT is a freemium game, needs to have items that of either convenience or
for cosmetics, the latter which should be focused on more than the former.

But the fact that premium shells are present in the game is a good indication of a poorly executed freemium
model.

And you're right, the whole game eventually equates to a teamwork. However, there isn't much in game incentive to play as a team. So when you have numerous 1 v 1 matches along a larger battlefield, and when the majority
of players don't play as a coherent team, then the premium shells prove to be an even more abusive part
of WoT's freemium model.

This is my philosophy on the freemium model and where it is applicable in certain games, and I know philosophies clash, so please don't take this as an act of transgression.

In reponse to geegad's question, I would say sure, it's an O.K. game - but do look into other freemium upcoming
games a la Planetside 2 and End of Nations.

i too played it since it was beta and it can be fun and frustrating as well, as has been said before. the premium ammo does create some issues good an bad but generally i think its a good game. when it was beta i went down the line of german heavy tanks and i went through tiger one and tiger 2 tanks. this time i'm trying german medium tanks and i find the panther and panther two to be significantly weaker than their heavy cousins.

another thing that i see a lot is people not understanding the roll their tank has on the battle field. many times i have seen people scouting with tank destroyers and even artillery and wondering why they get popped so quickly. its very easy to join the lemmings and charge across the battlefield, i prefer to wait a minute or two and look for a good vantage point to shoot from. this is particularly important if you are planning to be a tank destroyer or artillery.

comms are an issue but if you play other games then you are probably familiar with teamspeak or ventrillo.... the fun starts then when several people are in the same channel but on opposing teams lol

I've had the most fun with the tier 5 or 6 tanks. Before the nerf I had a speedy M10 that could fire 1 round a second. Anything higher was too much work and is cost too much to use. There is not much reason to go for light or medium tanks unless you just want to go faster. Their mobility (which aint that much) does not override a heavy's armor or gun. Doesn't matter how fast you move if you can't punch their armor. Premium tanks can kill the fun, but it's easy to start up another battle. If I turn the corner in my Sherman and run into a Type 79 I just log out there and move onto the next game. Most annoying thing is people not play their tank class. I'm tired of seeing Maus' hiding in the back corner playing sniper while the lighter tanks are on the front line.

Latest posts

Back