[WIP] Trumpeter 1/72 - Westland Wyvern S4

JMac

cut. glue. paint. repeat.
Right on, it's go day...
As soon as I finish the Herc... :)

[attachment deleted by admin]

I sooooo want to start on the Wyvern, I had all the sprues out, with the PE. It looks like a great kit, and a ton of parts / options for a small scale kit - two marking schemes, wings folded or not, four types of external stores, parts for rocket assisted take-off... :-\ choices, choices :-\ - Herc first.

Thanks.

Yeah - I kind of think it's an odd duck, one of the last naval Props as every military (who can afford it) on the planet changed to jet power (I should build a US marine Skyraider also...). I wanted to do something a little less common.

Sweet build subject ! :D

Not too often you find subjects about the "Suez canal conflict" are you going to use those decals ?

That would be a sweet scheme! Any way! Good luck with it.

Norm.

The kit comes with markings for the 830th squadron stationed aboard HMS Eagle in 1956. I believe the Eagle participated in the Suez, so I was going to do that scheme (besides its the most colourful/interesting of the kit marking schemes).

Cool, cool. I love this plane design. Wayne B. from here in NB did one and I just fell in love with it. Can't wait to see this build.

Thanks guys.

Scott - I have to totally agree - I bought the kit because I thought it looked really cool (and like many of my kit purchases - it was on sale), so when I found out that it fit in the GBs' timeframe and actually participated in the Suez crisis, I had to build it. Did Wayne build the 1:48th or the 1:72nd scale kit? Do you know how did he found the kit (fit wise, etc)?

I currently have about five WIP projects going right now. I was planning to start the Wyvern as soon as I finished the Herc, but I'm weakening.

He did the 1:48 and I think he enjoyed it. You could PM him here about it: WayneBt

Hey guys. I have a confession to make...I'm not done the Herc as yet, but, I STARTED MY WYVERN. WOOOOT! :)

Well it's not much of a start, but it's started. Just working on the cockpit right now. I can not believe that the ejection has about 10 parts not including a few PE details I've added. It'll be a slow build as I don't want to stop the Herc, and I really want to partcipate in Jingles way cool Mecha GB...

JMac said:
Hey guys. I have a confession to make...I'm not done the Herc as yet, but, I STARTED MY WYVERN. WOOOOT! :)

Well it's not much of a start, but it's started. Just working on the cockpit right now. I can not believe that the ejection has about 10 parts not including a few PE details I've added. It'll be a slow build as I don't want to stop the Herc, and I really want to partcipate in Jingles way cool Mecha GB...

Looks good! So tiny! lol

Here's an update, I'm still working on the cockpit. Having a great time with it, the experience gained on the Herc is paying off. I'm not putting every piece of PE on, just the ones I feel will be visible...

Everything has been going well except for the small PE mishap last night. I was playing Axis and Allies with my son and nephew, when my son got really excited and totally crushed/crumpled the PE fret. My fault should have cleaned up the desk better. :-[ I'll continue with what I have and put in an order for a new set today...

Slow and steady.

I`m putting the cockpit together, should have it ready for a wash tomorrow. While the instrument panel and the clear coat is drying I thought I would get started on the load-out. I decided I would built it up with the torpedo and eight sets of 60 lbs rockets. It`s taking what seems like forever to put the rockets together; the fins are very small and not really registered/located against the main body of the rocket.

The other minor issue I`m having with the kit is the painting instructions, to me they appear a little vague or overly simplified.

Sorry the picture is not the best.
Thanks for looking anyways.

Thanks. The RN had a few prop carrier aircraft in the 50s and 60s. The Wyvern had a very short service career, the Fairely Gannet was in service longer. Both aircraft had contra-rotating props.

Latest posts

Back