[WIP] Trumpeter 1/72 - Westland Wyvern S4

Ferris828 said:
Great work so far!

Not to get off topic, but does anyone know if their is a Gannet in 1/48?

No problem (and thanks for the positive comments). I would love to find one also. I think Trumpter makes a kit and I know that Revell of Germany has a kit. The Revell kit is 1:72 however. I'll look around, maybe someone else knows...

Just as a side note, I went looking for a 1:48 scale Gannet. Found out that the Trumpter and Revell kits are both 1:72. A 1:48 scale kit was released from Classic Airframes, but I could not find one at my usual model purchasing locations (online or otherwise).

Here's a link to a 2007 review.
http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/kits/ca/kit_ca_4135.shtml

Got the cockpit almost together (the only thing missing now is the gun sight).
Here's some pictures of the cockpit rough assembled to the fuselage.

[attachment deleted by admin]

One more picture...

Thanks for looking.

Coming along very nicely! Lovin' the detail!

On the Gannet front, Classic's kit is OOP. Hoepfully they'll do a reissue.

Thanks Ferris828, I'm really enjoying the build (all my othe WIPs' are suffering badly from delays however).

It's too bad about the Gannet kit, at least there is two offerings from Trumpter and the Revell kit. Might have to pick those up, at least one of them would look great parked beside the Wyvern in 1:72 scale.

Thanks Steve & Ozzy. I've been a little stalled here with work and family stuff. Hoping to get back to it soon. :)

I like to think of it as "real life in fake plastic miniature". ;)

Anyways had some good progress this weekend. The wyvern is starting to look more like a plane and less like a cockpit. Sorry the pictures are small (I really should get a photobucket account going). Still have lots of seam work to do...

Just as a side note, originally I planned to build up this model with the wings down, in the unfolded position. I'm considering building it the other way now, with wings folded. My question is, would an aircraft on the carrier deck be loaded out with weapons and have its wings folded? I don't know, but that seems to me to be unlikely...

Thanks for looking guys.

I enjoyed working on my Wyvern. I did the 48 scale version and I used the Pavla cockpit set. Here is a pic of the finished plane.

Wayne

Wyvernfin.jpg

Wayne - your 1:48 kit does look great. :) How did you like the resin cockpit? I've never tried working in resin and am hankering to try it....

Ozzy - Mine will have a slightly different paint scheme. It's paint will be similar to this;

wyvernfrog_371x255.jpg

I didn't build the kit in image above - just found it in a google image search.

thats cool too them stripes on fusaloge and wings look tricky though i am looking forward to seeing it ;)

JMac- The resin set was really nice. If I can find a resin cockpit for a kit I am building then I will try to get it. I enjoy working with resin. It is a lot better than photoetch.

WayneBt said:
JMac- The resin set was really nice. If I can find a resin cockpit for a kit I am building then I will try to get it. I enjoy working with resin. It is a lot better than photoetch.

The resin 'pit on your Draken turned out fantastic. When I see the cool work guys on the forum are doing, I want to give it a try also. I've two builds right now working with the PE, I'm finding it's great in some locations, and kind of crazy or pointless in others (parts total out of view inside the fuselage halves). I think a little resin with a little PE could really turn out nice (if my wallet can support more purchases). My next build will be OOB for sure.

About the only PE that I will do right now is if it comes with the resin set. Aires usually puts PE in their sets for IP's, HUD's and seat belts. I screw up the bending and I find the detail on some sets are not an improvement over the kit. And thanks for the Draken. I really took my time painting the cockpit. The cockpit is something that I always want to improve on.

Latest posts

Back