WIP: A Camel In Space...

tigrazor

audentes fortuna iuvat.
A... wait, WHAT?! Yes, you heard right. Hasegawa reissued the Maschinenkrieger "Camel" and I got one of them.

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0199/1398/products/hsgs6406inset1-lg_large.jpg%3Fv%3D1379631169

It may look a bit ugly, but imho its something special. And I LOVE special things. ;)

Firstly, the pilot got some paint, then the helmet. The "Camel" looks a bit boring with grey tones etc., so at least the vcockpit should have some colorful spots. ;)

camel03_zpsc2f4ee26.jpg

camel02_zps1a2b8d3d.jpg

camel01_zps0d9a4efe.jpg

Nice, haven't seen to many of these yet.
Ugly as a mechwarrior flea, but still so charming ^_^

Youre right, the design is a bit ugly.

Im working on the legs atm and they fit together very well - its a "snap kit" if you want. ;) Theyre completely moveable! Furthermore, you dont need glue - just a few parts had to be glued, all others fit together by pressure only. Wow!

The only thing you really have to take care about is to pay attention of the left side/right side stuff, but here the instructions are very clear so there shouldnt be any misunderstanding.

Putty is drying, pictures of the legs will follow.

Whoever is responsible for this kit - my deepest respect! All fits together by pressure, you wont need glue in most cases. So building is pure fun - I guess everyone who did a Ma.K. kit before knows what I mean. Only very small spots need some glue and putty can (almost) stay at home. ;)

The pilot is done and looks pretty realistic. Spare decals helped a lot here:

-1/16 rank sign (Tamiya)
-artificial horizon and danger sign (?) of a Revell Ju52 (Revell)
-white stripes for the helmet

The grey areas on the feet are an anti-slip-surface (MrSurfacer, brought on with a sponge).

camel04_zps9ac98225.jpg

camel05_zps4d889a60.jpg

camel07_zps242082ff.jpg

camel08_zpsa00c9401.jpg

camel09_zps9b4b6f81.jpg

camel10_zps305fe265.jpg

camel11_zpsc3e6009d.jpg

camel06_zps281fb588.jpg

Instructions say "one vinyl cable" for the cockpit console, but I upgraded it to 6 cables (lead wire). Id like to paint the interieur like a WW2 plane cockpit - either RAF or USAF... RAF will get a "Bakelite" seat, the "US" Cockpit version will get some kind of FS 34151 or something similar.

What do you think?

http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/attachments/schematics/40277d1299771157t-spitfire-cockpit-colour-img_0091_13_1.jpg

camel12_zps0cce859d.jpg

camel13_zps10924876.jpg

Great project, and a great start, mei Liaba! Nice finish on the pilot!

I have to disagree with you and Beork just a little on the design, though. I think the Camel (Kamel?) is one of the cooler designs from Kow's mind. But aesthetics aside, it is a cool kit. I like your start on the cockpit, too. I've thought that I'd like to light it, too. It would be easy enough to put a power source in the body and run some fiber optic lines through the neck joint. Since this is a lunar vehicle, it cries out for a diorama on the dusty surface of the Moon.

I look forward to your next installment!

That decal was in the kit - the rest not. ;) Man.... what a big beast that Camel is. And the cockpit isnt even installed yet!

camel15_zpsf3acdcee.jpg

camel16_zpse307872f.jpg

camel17_zps2a357677.jpg

The body halves had been put together! Looking pretty simple in the instructions, but you really have to look twice which part goes where and in which direction. If not, it wont fit and/or the moveable parts wont work anymore. Thats the clue of this kit: a few parts are moveable, including the booster on its belly. Not here, unfortunately, because I mixed up the direction of the connection part made from soft plastic (vinyl?!).

The heat guiding metal is the part with which you would move the rocket booster - normally. ;) Well... Never mind. Finally, the neck and top of the Camel got some MrSurfacer to smoothen the connections between the single parts.

If his legs would be more apart from each other, the Golf Mk.I could drive thru under the Camel. ;)

camel22_zps9bf3e65e.jpg

camel20_zps74fc602d.jpg

camel21_zps043f0b51.jpg

camel19_zpse87201d6.jpg

Thanks Baron. :)

More...

Interior without pilot and the seat. The decals come from a 1/24 Muscle Car ("Little Coffin") whose decals I already used for the Falke/Griffon. If you watch closely, you can read "Moon Equipped" - fits perfectly for a Moon recon tank, does it? ;) All decals dont come with the Hasegawa decal sheet btw, its some 1/87 stuff as well as AirScale WW1 instruments there, too. The lettering was done by hand. Furthermore, I repainted the cockpit with pure Testors "Italian Green" to create some "rework" here and there and to make the color a bit more colorful.

camel30_zpsbf9aa35a.jpg

camel31_zps93ca8889.jpg

camel29_zps73f79626.jpg

Pilot having a seat. Sorry, hes missing a foot, Ill have to take care for his feet anyways (they dont fit the pedals somehow).

camel27_zpsf4a3e626.jpg

camel28_zps4eb44d6b.jpg

And then I found THIS... :D

camel25_zpsf34fec1d.jpg

camel26_zps5dc4fb65.jpg

camel24_zps170333c4.jpg

Thanks for the nice comments. :)

The sand/glue mixture was pretty thin, so loads of tension caused crackles everywhere. Im pretty confident with the result, but the crater is a bit too much imho. With some "HEKI" grass, Rohrers Antiktusche (=antique ink, burnt umber), some moss flowers and a bit of green paint the base was completed so far.

Furthermore, I cut the "Camel" letters from the cigarette box as well as the camel logo and combined it with some spare parts from the greeble box.

Base:

camel42_zps2e2aed11.jpg

camel39_zps30cda91e.jpg

camel41_zps4d8d2a50.jpg

camel37_zps0cb19e10.jpg

camel40_zps8891d978.jpg

camel38_zps4e31bc10.jpg

Badge:

camel44_zpsd6842c47.jpg

camel43_zps63b6d343.jpg

camel36_zps203c88f5.jpg

Latest posts