Why do people lick their brushes?

hook1169

"220 221 Whatever it takes" - Mr. Mom , M. Keaton
So I have watched several painters in videos (oddly it seems to be mostly mini painters). Now mind you I am not referring to a clean brush or a brand new one even. I am watching people load their brushes with paint and pop the brush in their mouth for a quick swirl or a lick? WTH? I don't understand it, and thought maybe somoene here knew the reason someone would be doing this? Is this a nervous habit? Or is there a magical reason for this?

Thanks,

I never really seen this but I guess it could be habit for them, I can't think of any other reason that would make sense for it.

Whey they are clean, yeah I have done that as well, but not with paint on them.

Just make sure that if it is enamel or lacquer paint that after you clean them in paint thinner, you rinse them in water before sticking them in your mouth....wouldn't want to go blind from the paint thinner! LOL

Yup I'm guilty of licking brushes lol but yeah only when they've been rinsed in water, all though I have been caught out with thinner in my mouth a few times and licking cotton buds too, Vallejo filler has a sting to it :p

with round brushes, it helps to keep a point on them after they are cleaned.
I've seen artists do this often.
I don't know about flat brushes, but I suspect the same can be done to help keep them kinda square.

just make sure they are cleaned completely before doing so.

It's no secret.
If you have a brush that starts to split it helps to have the threads stick together to have point with round brushes or one line with flat ones. Also after painting it's good to do this as saliva preserves the tips on brushes that aren't used for some time.

I do this since I started painting and honestly I don't know why I started but I think it just came to me as a logical thing to do :)

I would think since saliva is slightly acidic, leaving a schmear of it on your brushes could ruin them over time. But whatever, this seems to be a popular habit.

I've found fingers work just fine... ::)

with a clean brush it is called tipping the brush, it was made popular when good brushed were red or white sable and a little moisture helped soften and shape the brush.

I agree about the "clean" brush, but I was asking about AFTER you dip it in paint... I see this is a common thing among mini painters I even bout one of miniature mentors figure painting videos and the artist in the video did the same thing, licks the darn brush just after dipping it in fresh paint and continues to do so everytime he loads the brush.

Latest posts

Back