Where do you buy your kits and supplies?

dkev

We actually have a decent model store here in Indy Big Boy Hobby. But he's nearly 40 minutes away as I live in the burbs.
So mostly I order a lot of my stuff from Megahobby. But I am always looking for new places to find cool stuff. So where do you guys go?

best place for me too is online my lhs is ok but he don't have a lot so i get mine in the UK no good to you tough :)

I buy everything online due to countless frustrating trips to my local "hobby shop"

elmcityhobbies.com is an awesome hobby store I've been hitting them up a lot recently. ebay is a great recourse for hobby supplies, for example, I just got 50 #11 Testors blades for something like $5 and they are better than x-acto in my opinion, I think a pack of 5 x-acto blades is $4-$5. I buy a lot of stuff off ebay, be careful it can be addicting. If you're into sci-fi, starshipmodeler.com is an awesome site. If you're into lighting modelersbrand.com is a fantastic site offering everything you need (besides soldering irons) for lighting up kits. hlj.com is really awesome too, shipping can be a tad pricey if you live in the U.S.

MrNatural said:
I buy everything online due to countless frustrating trips to my local "hobby shop"

elmcityhobbies.com is an awesome hobby store I've been hitting them up a lot recently. ebay is a great recourse for hobby supplies, for example, I just got 50 #11 Testors blades for something like $5 and they are better than x-acto in my opinion, I think a pack of 5 x-acto blades is $4-$5. I buy a lot of stuff off ebay, be careful it can be addicting. If you're into sci-fi, starshipmodeler.com is an awesome site. If you're into lighting modelersbrand.com is a fantastic site offering everything you need (besides soldering irons) for lighting up kits. hlj.com is really awesome too, shipping can be a tad pricey if you live in the U.S.

Wooo....$4-$5 for a pack of 5 #11 Xacto blades? You need to shop some place cheaper....I don't even think I charge that much for their new Z Blade #11s!

However, can't beat 50 for $5...that is a good deal. Only thing I find with the non-Xacto blades is that the steel seems to be a tad harder, and the tips break off easier, and I don't find they hold the edge as sharp for as long, (even the Excel blades, which is Xacto's major competitor), but for that price...who really cares!

Elm City Hobbies said:
MrNatural said:

Wooo....$4-$5 for a pack of 5 #11 Xacto blades? You need to shop some place cheaper....I don't even think I charge that much for their new Z Blade #11s!

However, can't beat 50 for $5...that is a good deal. Only thing I find with the non-Xacto blades is that the steel seems to be a tad harder, and the tips break off easier, and I don't find they hold the edge as sharp for as long, (even the Excel blades, which is Xacto's major competitor), but for that price...who really cares!

Exactly, at $.10 a blade who cares? Oh yeah, 4-5 bucks for a 5 pack around these parts...sad I know...

I get my supplies from all over the place.
My LHS, on-line through mostly Starship Modeler and Squadron, and, in a pinch, Hobby Lobby

I buy all my Aftermaket stuff from www.luckymodel.com/

great price free shipping.

Most of my kit i get second hand off ARC or LSP forums you get some great deals

i get my paints from my local hobby shop but its a PITA to get to like 30min car ride if trafic isint too nasty

I try to stimulate the local economy as much as possible so I buy almost all my kits and pretty much all my supplies from the LHS. The big reason for this is because they carry a wide variety of tools and such and carry a full line of Model Master paints (both enamel and acrylic), my favorite brand of paint. The prices are pretty reasonable when compared to online stores. For aftermarket sets I use spruebrothers.com most of the time and squadron.com and ebay a little too. For decals I almost always buy from a store called "runforcoverbooks". They operate shops on ebay and amazon, which is quite convenient. There are various other websites I order from occasionally, but these are the ones I use the majority of the time.

My only LHS is Hobby Lobby. My next decent shop is a chain store about an hour drive from me. My favorite on-line shops are...

http://www.scalehobbyist.com/
http://hobbylinc.com/
http://www.hlj.com/

I've ordered from all of the above many times, with no problems. If you're not in a huge hurry and you're looking for something different HobbyLink Japan is the way to go. All my shipments from them have arrived in about 3 weeks.

Erik

mr lucky said:
My only LHS is Hobby Lobby. My next decent shop is a chain store about an hour drive from me. My favorite on-line shops are...

http://www.scalehobbyist.com/
http://hobbylinc.com/
http://www.hlj.com/

I've ordered from all of the above many times, with no problems. If you're not in a huge hurry and you're looking for something different HobbyLink Japan is the way to go. All my shipments from them have arrived in about 3 weeks.

Erik

Thanks for for the heads up on scalehobbyist. com huge selection and descent prices it appears.

I shop at the locally owned hobby shop a lot because I enjoy visiting with the regulars...many are veterans who actually used much of the armor and choppers and things going back to Viet Nam.
I also check out Dollar General and Family Dollar stores plus the big chains like Michael's and Hobby Lobby. I found some short wooden sticks half as wide as pop cycle sticks and half as long that are PERFECT for stirring paint...found pack of 200 for $2.50! Much better than toothpicks...use those for other things.
Online I use Elm City and the others that support SMA and the mag. Eager to try some of the new links given here!

No LHS here so its all online for me.

Spruebrothers
Megahobby
Redfroghobbies

They have all worked out well for me.

Latest posts

Back