What skillset of modeling would you like to improve on the most?

What skillset of modeling would you like to improve on the most?

• Construction

Votes: 12 10.7%
  • Painting / Airbrushing

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • Weathering

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Bases / Groundwork

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • Dioramas / Composition

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Scratchbuilding

Votes: 15 13.4%
  • Figure Painting

Votes: 21 18.8%

• Total voters

Junkie

Just a quick poll to start and conversation as to what skillset of modeling would you like to improve on the most?

Figures with out a doubt. ive bought a few boosk on the matter so i do plan on "trying" to improve

Nice idea for a poll Scott, We need a Thumbs up smily :)

Geez....I can only pick one? LOL

I would love to be able to do better dioramas, which involves about 4 of those choices.

Anywhere from composition, to figure painting, believable ground work, etc, etc.

Is finishing a kit considered a skillset?

Seriously though it would probably be painting figures.

Jeff

Construction for me. You know, glueing things together is pretty important in this hobby.

Yeah nice thread Scott, I'd like to get better or at least try metallic paints, but I still struggle with sanding and filling.

In my case, it's weathering that has been my biggest weak spot.

I'd follow it with my barely existent scratch-building skills.
I can bash up a storm, but haven't had the guts to go totally from scratch in years

I'm no good in weathering imho.
At least I'm spending lot's of time to receive in the end what I personaly consider quite an avarage result, while lots of boys around seem to obtain some mind blowing weathering on there models, and that is in a pair of evenings!
Have been working on developing this branch of my skills for a while now.

Like Igard I went with construction. There's always one or two things in a build that, no matter how small, drive me nuts in the construction phase. Alignment, fit, seams.....all need magic and gold in your hands to make them look great.

My first thought was all of the above..but if I had to narrow it down..I would say...all of the above ;)

Weathering.... Precisely why I have not started an an OEF/OIF F-14B/D yet... I feel that in order for it to look right the weathering has to be spot on.And that is something that I need some practice at.

Definitely airbrushing, I'm still a beginner.

Also, it's not listed, but I'd like to learn to sculpt. I'm very slowly teaching myself to do it, though.

Since ! haven't built any models in years all the above. I just want to have some nice looking aircraft models in my computer room that don't look toy like.

Weathering is my area in which I need improvment. I either apply to much or to little. I am working on finding that happy medium. Another area I would like to improve my skillset is PE. Other modelers make it look so easy applying small details. Those tiny tiny details for me are difficult to bend and glue to the model. My BSC entry Leopard 2A6 is a challenge because I am replacing grab handles, brackets, and adding chains to the smoke discharge tubes. All these PE details for me are tough to glue and place with tweezers.

Latest posts

Back