What kind of primer to use on a Horizon vinyl model kit?

Rocket Boy

I'm building the "Creature from the Black Lagoon" vinyl model kit by Horizon. I would like to prime the kit matte black first but I'm not sure what primer paint would be best for a vinyl model. Also a recommendation on rattle can or brush primer. I'm planning on using Vallejo ModelColour paints for the base coats etc. I will be brush painting this kit.

Thanks in advance!

I've built a number of vinyl kits - Horizon, GeoMetric, Screamin - and the only paint I've had any luck with on any of them consistently is Tamiya acrylics. Every other brand was hit-and-miss, one paint that worked good on one vinyl kit would have problems on another. Tamiya was the only one that worked out every time.

Ziz said:
I've built a number of vinyl kits - Horizon, GeoMetric, Screamin - and the only paint I've had any luck with on any of them consistently is Tamiya acrylics. Every other brand was hit-and-miss, one paint that worked good on one vinyl kit would have problems on another. Tamiya was the only one that worked out every time.

what primer do you use?..it seems like any good acrylic would stick to a good primer

I generally don't use a primer. Sometimes I'll just do a quick "slop coat" of paint over spots where I had to putty a seam just to be sure I got the puttying done right, but otherwise I just start straight in with the base color.

Over the weekend I picked up some Vallejo black surface primer (bottle not rattle can) and some ModelColor paints. I think those should work. I've read online that some modelers mix 50/50 (50 paint to 50 water) even with the primer and apply a couple of coats. Not sure if I should use the primer at 100% or the 50/50 method. I'll have to test that out I guess.

Thank you for the responses!

Latest posts

Back