what fittings do i need

I have acess to a 30gal aircompressor at work it has a regulator an mositure trap on it with a long rubber hose and a quick disconnect on the tool end of the hose. Is it possible to get an airbrush hose with a male quickdisconnect on one end to attach to the hose easily and quickly? I do want to have to unhook the exisiting hose. I want to be able to go in at the end of the day do my painting and get out with out messing too much with their set up

Depending on the air hose you have, would depend on the fittings.

Before I got a hobby aircompressor, I was using a regular 1.5hp compressor with a 2 gallon tank, it came with all the standard sized fittings. I added a water trap to it, and wanted a quick connect for the hose, so I could also use the compressor to power an air nailer.

Using a badger hose, with this fitting:

HOSE-ADAPTER.jpg

1/4" (6.4mm) Pipe Thread Fitting Adaptor

The badger hose connects to the small end, while a standard 1/4" nipple attaches to the other end. Then just plug in and enjoy.

thanks for the info. One more question. Say if i didn't want to mess with the shops psi settings, could I rig a regulator to a hunk of wood and have a quick dissconnect nipple on it for the hose to the compressoron one side and the airbush fittings on the other?

Hey Deranged, i'm not too sure about attaching a regulator to a piece of wood idea. Although I am not an AB expert I would think it really is best to adjust the PSI at the actual AB.

If you can buy the compressor from Harbor Frieght I would say do it. I have the same one! :) It has worked pretty great, wort the 70 bucks if you can swing it, that and you can get the Badger Patriot 105 for around 70 bucks! You will be amazed at the results you get compared to your current tools.

DERANGEDWOOKIEE said:
thanks for the info. One more question. Say if i didn't want to mess with the shops psi settings, could I rig a regulator to a hunk of wood and have a quick dissconnect nipple on it for the hose to the compressoron one side and the airbush fittings on the other?

Yes, you could do it that way also, and most regulators have standard 1/4" fittings.

So basically, using a Badger hose and the converter above, that would go in the "out" on the regulator, and the nipple on the "in" of the regulator. Then plug the regulator into an output on the line running from the compressor.

This way you don't have to adjust the main compressor, and just at your regulator. Shouldn't need to attach the regulator to anything, depending on the set up...if the quickconnect is at say a bench location attached to the wall, the male and female quick connects should have enough strength to hold it. If it is just an airline on the floor.....you might need something to hold the regulator solid...but really shouldn't be an issue.

The tips OD is 5/16in and the ring is 3/8in I didn't measure the threaded end but from what i saw it could be 3/8in . Does this mean i need a 3/8 in nipple?and if so. When I get the parts would I need a regulator with 3/8 in threading or can I get a cheaper 1/4in threaded regulator and find an adapter for the 3/8in nipple ?

I have a shop compressor downstairs. That is set at 100 psi. I run a 50' hose up here, with a quick disconnect thing. That goes into a moisture trap that is connected to a regulator. I keep the regulator around 20psi. From that I down size to the Badger hose, with a quick disconnect on that. The airbrush has a quick connect thing too.

Works great. When I have to use a nail gun or inflate tires I just disconnect the 50' hose and take it downstairs.

DERANGEDWOOKIEE said:
Can anyone tell me want size male quickdisconnect this is?2012-05-01_13-18-28_186.jpg

You need to know two things when buying these. One us the thread size and the other is the nipple type. there are about 6 dffernt ones but yours looks to be the most common. I can't think of what it's called at the moment. 3/8's NPT is pretty common on the threaded end.

DERANGEDWOOKIEE said:
Can anyone tell me want size male quickdisconnect this is?2012-05-01_13-18-28_186.jpg

If you are using a badger hose, pretty much what you want is that nipple, with the adapter I posted above

The actual air end on that one is called "industrial standard"(Couldn't remember - had to look it up). You can get those anywhere for a buck. Just be aware there are different kinds.

Thanks for the help guys.caught the regulator / water trap on sale and all the fittings at harbor freight.i mounted to some wood in a b inverted T shape. The rig works great. Only problem is I get weird looks at work when i am airbrushing. And comments like is tgat a toy plane you are painting. Or what the hell is that .. so i guess i gotta save up for an air compressor. Or get my hands on an empty air tank or propane..

Latest posts

Back