What did you learn from building armoured vehicles?

DreamKnight

Ok you're building your tanka nd you run across some pretty neat information about it or the history of it. You remember any moments you thought was cool to share?

Some of the first deaths during the American landings in Africa where caused by the Vichy French. The Americans notified them ahead of time of the landings and some towns set up ambushes. They also bombed the Straits of Gibraltar, the Allies HQ.

While everyone agreed WW2 would not be a gas war like WW1, both sides were prepared since nobody trusted anybody. While it is believed no gas was during the war, there was in fact one battle where gas artillery was used... by the Americans! Somebody in an artillery battery grabbed the wrong shells and they fired a few gas rounds at the Germans. Upon realizing what they did the Americans called a "time out" during the battle and radioed the Germans to apologize and offer medical aid.

Chiefpettyofficer said:
I HATE those Vinyl-Tracks!!!! :p

YEAH, I gotta agree I hate those Vinyl Trax & those D.S. trax !! Aside from that ......

At least in the German Panzer Corps - Just when there as a directive to do something there are pix out there that contradict it ! Every time ! There are too many examples to list, but just when you think there is a certain variant with certain characteristics there will be a few that pop up that are different. So, as far as modeling goes as long as you are in th neighborhood, anything goes, especially late War.

While I may talk about th German Army & th Waffen SS I want to make it perfectly clear that I DO NOT believe in there politics & are drawn to them as a War Machine they were a tough nut to crack.

ERIK

panzerace007 said:
While I may talk about th German Army & th Waffen SS I want to make it perfectly clear that I DO NOT believe in there politics & are drawn to them as a War Machine they were a tough nut to crack.

ERIK

Even you believe, you would be little late. This times are gone ;-)

M18 Hellcats are fast and good in numbers against the least slow moving panthers

weathering.... with armored vehicles there is tons of weathering, mud.. snow... it gets on the vehicle.

ACE,

If you want weathering 101, find a construction site with some Caterpillar dozers out there & go lookin' around at them. That's as good as it gets. You will also notice that Rust never really collects on th trax that are in use. You may get some 1st. thing in the mornin' because of Morning dew, but that is quickly worn off once those Cats get moving around !! I work construction ( Commercial Plumber) & see those babies every day &take notice. Even th Diesel Fuel stains that run down th side & get dust collected ,mixed into it before it dries !!

ERIK

yep, as i said in the other forum, i have noticed that, somtimes the tracks will be caked in mud or snow or what ever, and the raised edges or teeth in the tracks to give the tank traction will usually be shiney with exposed metal. however most tanks today have rubber pads on there tracks for smoother rides on asphalt roads and concrete, and so it does not destroy the roads.

The rubber on the tracks isnt for ride comfort. Its to protect the roads. Bare metal tracks will tear the crap out of asphalt or concrete. The rubber cushions the track to road contact while still supplying a good grip on the road that the cleats on a metal track would have had. They are also cheaper to manufacture than a solid metal track. There is also a mild weight savings. If the roads are icy some tanks can have track pads removed and replaced with a cleat. These cleats are very obvious on modern german vehicles.

Right now the only way you can legally drive a steel tracked armored vehicle on the road is if there is NO other type of track for it. Bren carriers and german WW2 tanks have this problem. Most times though any surviving german vehicles arent driven to shows they are trailered and then driven around the show ground. A 250/251 series halftrack is perfectly street legal as it is.

HWR MKII said:
The rubber on the tracks isnt for ride comfort. Its to protect the roads. Bare metal tracks will tear the crap out of asphalt or concrete. The rubber cushions the track to road contact while still supplying a good grip on the road that the cleats on a metal track would have had. They are also cheaper to manufacture than a solid metal track. There is also a mild weight savings. If the roads are icy some tanks can have track pads removed and replaced with a cleat. These cleats are very obvious on modern german vehicles.

Right now the only way you can legally drive a steel tracked armored vehicle on the road is if there is NO other type of track for it. Bren carriers and german WW2 tanks have this problem. Most times though any surviving german vehicles arent driven to shows they are trailered and then driven around the show ground. A 250/251 series halftrack is perfectly street legal as it is.

i didn't mean for ride comfort, i meant for smoother operation, i figured that having normal metal tracks with the teeth or cleats would create more friction than the soft flat rubber pads... but i guess rubber padded tracks dont give you any smoother operation by what you tell me. but i knew that the normal steel tracks would tear up asphalt, you have a 40 to 60 tun vehicle, normal tracks will... tear a asphalt roads and concrete to peaces with that much weight driving the cleats into the road.

HWR MKII said:

Man !! I would totally Dig having a 251 as a Daily Driver !! ;D

it probably Wouldn't be good on gas... do you mean that some military vehicles like that are street legal?

Aside from the Petro issues, It would still be cool to be able to drive a 251 around ! Although th front wheels are not powered.

As far as having a Military Vehicle that's really street legal. I like that Heavy Duty "Jeep" . I think it's called a Unimog ? I thought They had an SUV version ...

panzerace007 said:
Aside from the Petro issues, It would still be cool to be able to drive a 251 around ! Although th front wheels are not powered.

As far as having a Military Vehicle that's really street legal. I like that Heavy Duty "Jeep" . I think it's called a Unimog ? I thought They had an SUV version ...

"Unimog" is a 2,5to Mercedes military truck. Have you a image to indentify it?

CHIEF,

I really don't. I saw it on a Flat Bed Truck. It looked a lot like it, but was a little more squatty (?) I wish I had some pix of it.

AH ! Here it is. Is it just th Civilian version beefed up ? I really like th look of this Truck. But it was still more Beefy

mercedes-benz-g-wagon-597x447.jpg

Want impressive look up the Dakar rally Tatra 8X8....

As a side note all current military vehicles are street legal when in private ownership provided they have headlights, tail lights, turn signals and rubberized track. Also helps if the person owning it has the proper licenses for it as well. Older vehicles from WW2 have to have lights and indicators added depending on the vehicle and in some cases rubber track isnat available. Then again there arent many tiger 1s or KV-1s running in private hands...yet

Latest posts

Back