Water splash issues

Pantherman

Hi, need the help of you wise and knowledgeable folk. I have fitted a regulator with water trap on my very old compressor and it's been ok for a few months but recently I've had alot of issues with water pulsing when I'm spraying and I can't seem to find a way to cure it. Any advice?
Irishvic/Pantherman

Attachments

• 20220717_161138.jpg
    20220717_161138.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220716_103131.jpg
    20220716_103131.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220716_103116.jpg
    20220716_103116.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 8
Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhh

Those photos of the regulator are how it appears currently ?
I would say you need to drain condensate from the filter bowl but it looks bone dry and completely clean .

Unless the air line to the airbrush has a lot of moisture in it somehow and needs to be purged but I doubt that unless you stored it in a puddle or something .
Possibly the regulator is cracked around the control section and air from the compressor is bypassing the filter assembly completely but again I doubt it .
Remove the bowl and visually inspect the valve body .

You can angle that oil-free unit ( motor/ compressor ) so the filter is operating plumb to the floor .

Here's a nice , concise vid on the flow path of those things :

If you can't correct it you can add a desiccant dryer to the line .
Such as : https://www.harborfreight.com/air-t...ories/inline-desiccant-dryerfilter-64637.html

Harbor Freight used to sell desiccant filters constructed like the one incorporated in the regulator but I don't see them now .
But any desiccant filter installed prior to the supply line will work .

There may be just enough water vapor making past that filter bowl and then condensing out in the supply line to the airbrush .

Such as : https://www.harborfreight.com/air-t...ories/inline-desiccant-dryerfilter-64637.html

Harbor Freight used to sell desiccant filters constructed like the one incorporated in the regulator but I don't see them now .

There may be just enough water vapor making past that filter bowl and then condensing out in the supply line to the airbrush .
Many thanks for the advice, I will try all the suggestions. The valve can not be fitted so it's plumb/vertical as the compressor body is in the way. I looked for an extension fitting but just can't find any that would work. I will let you know how I get on.
Irishvic/Pantherman

The extension can be made with a short 3/8 pipe nipple . I assume they are 3/8 NPT threads .
I meant you can run the compressor rotated so the regulator is upright as installed -- but I don't think it has anything to do with your issue .
Most likely there is just enough water vapor in the supply side that is too miniscule to centrifuge out and not enough cooling to condensate out .

You could immerse the filter bowl in ice and see if that is enough to condense out the moisture at the regulator .

The extension can be made with a short 3/8 pipe nipple . I assume they are 3/8 NPT threads .
I meant you can run the compressor rotated so the regulator is upright as installed -- but I don't think it has anything to do with your issue .
Most likely there is just enough water vapor in the supply side that is too miniscule to centrifuge out and not enough cooling to condensate out .

You could immerse the filter bowl in ice and see if that is enough to condense out the moisture at the regulator .
Think I will get the extension part's then strip the valve down at the same time, try all your suggestions, then see what happens. Probably a job for next weekend so something to look forward too. Love tinkering around with things. Many thanks wise one!
Irishvic/Pantherman

Hi, think I will add the desiccant filter. I ran the compressor and after 10ish minutes when it got hot I took the attached video (no paint in the cup) just to show you the issue.
Irishvic/Pantherman

I don't see any attached video .

You can get a desiccant filter lots of places like Amazon or airbrush vendors .
They can be dried out in a food dehydrator or oven once they become saturated .

Not sure why the video wouldn't load but amazon here i come !! Thanks.
Irishvic/Pantherman

I have made some additions and tinkered about with old bit's, rejointed the fittings and seems to have done the trick. Many thanks for your help and advice. I have added before and after photos.
Irishvic/Pantherman

Attachments

• 20220917_080620.jpg
    20220917_080620.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220917_082259.jpg
    20220917_082259.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 4
I know I'm late the game here but I have seen this issue resolved in aircraft paint shops by basically plumbing a trap into the system early in the line a few feet out from the pump but a good distance from the working end.

This trap looks exactly like the drain trap in your kitchen sink with the occasional addition of a small cock valve at the bottom

Yep , the more piping or hose the air has to cool down in on the way to the sprayer will allow the moisture to condense out .
Sending it thru a U-bend causes the momentum of the heavier water droplets to fall out of the airstream .

Yep , the more piping or hose the air has to cool down in on the way to the sprayer will allow the moisture to condense out .
Sending it thru a U-bend causes the momentum of the heavier water droplets to fall out of the airstream .
The other problem I noticed with those small pumps is unlike a shop with a tank system that air is getting compressed and pumped straight into the line any moisture in the ambient air getting pumped in gets pumped right out if there isn't enough length in the system, a good trap, or desiccant filter your gonna get moisture

Yep again .
An air tank makes a for a great moisture trap on it's own .
Too many people don't drain them regularly and the tank will rust thru and leak .

Yep again .
An air tank makes a for a great moisture trap on it's own .
Too many people don't drain them regularly and the tank will rust thru and leak .
The new compressor with air tank is going to be my xmas treat!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220916-190151_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20220916-190151_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 1

Latest posts

Back