Vallejo paint

spud

Irish and proud of it :)
can somesone tell me whats the differance between Vallejo Model Color Acrylics and Vallejo Model Air Acrylics. ive never used Vallejo as all my Paints are Tamiya and a few humbroll

The Model Air line is pre-thinned for use straight into the airbrush.

ah i taught as much. so what do you thin the normal stuff with do they have a thinner they use or??

Yes, I use the Vallejo thinner for the model color line. (I don't really like the Model Air, I prefer to thin myself)

I also use the Vallejo retarder, just a drop mixed in helps to prevent it from drying on the tip of the airbrush and/or really extends your brush painting time as well.

sweet thanks alot ken. ill grab some of the Vallejo paints soon and try that

I thin it with demineralized water in a 1:1 mix. Never saw any reason to pay extra for a thinner but the trick with using a retarder to prevent it drying in the airbrush might be worth looking into...

I used to thin it with distilled water and it worked okay but I used to notice it would separate in the color cup pretty quickly and I would have to keep stirring it throughout each session. Sometimes the paint would have a chalky finish to it as well.

The thinner just works much better, it's not a necessity but it makes a huge difference IMO. I get the 32ml bottle off of ebay for a few bucks so it's not like a huge expense or anything.

what in gods name is demineralized water, is it like Distilled Water ?

@ Spud....yeah same thing as Distilled water.

@Ken....I have the 200ml thinner back in stock when you are tired of the 32ml ones.

ScaleModelMadman said:
I used to thin it with distilled water and it worked okay but I used to notice it would separate in the color cup pretty quickly and I would have to keep stirring it each session. Sometimes the paint would have a chalky finish to it as well.

The thinner just works much better, it's not a necessity but it makes a huge difference IMO. I get the 32ml bottle off of ebay for a few bucks so it's not like a huge expense or anything.

Yeah, I’ve noticed that myself. I usually mix up some 15 ml. in one go – so I always have to shake it before use. Never had it separate in the airbrush though.
I haven’t noticed any change in the finish myself. But then again, I usually end up using two, three, or even four layers of different varnishes and twice that number of washes so...

spud said:
what in gods name is demineralized water, is it like Distilled Water ?

Not sure, but I would suppose so. It’s know as “demineralized” here in Denmark because, dooooh, it’s got no minerals left in it.

lol then that is distilled. ill try the thinners all the same. now as im thinking of it will normal thinners do it?

Spud...not sure what you mean by normal thinners, but if you mean alcohol and such, then no, as Vallejo isn't an isopropyl base and will end up gelling the paint....not good if it happens in your airbrush.

My advise....use the Vallejo thinner, or distilled water.

I guess it depends on what you mean by normal thinners. Things like turps/spirits etc. wouldn't work because Vallejo is acrylic.

I would have to say that the only normal thinner that comes to mind for acrylics would be water, which brings us full circle.

EDIT: was typing at the same time as ECH... but yeah, water or Vallejo thinner

cool handy to know. as were on it. what about the tamia thinners for there acrilics would this work?

Since were taking about Vallejo, some says model color dries fast and it clogs the AB, would water as a thinner, with a few drops of retarder would work? or should do 3 parts water to 1 part of paint?

is the game color has the same ratio?

Thanks!!!

I thin model color all the time with Vallejo thinner and never have a problem clogging the airbrush. If it's clogging the airbrush, it isn't thinned enough.

The exact ratio various from person to person so to give a specific, correct ratio is next to impossible. Trial and error are the best teachers.

Retarder will slow the dry time for sure, that's exactly it's purpose.

Eastrock said:
Since were taking about Vallejo, some says model color dries fast and it clogs the AB, would water as a thinner, with a few drops of retarder would work? or should do 3 parts water to 1 part of paint?

is the game color has the same ratio?

Thanks!!!

I’ve used both Game and Model Colour and I’ve seen no particular difference between the two.

As I said previously, I use a 1:1 mixture of paint and water. However, recently I’ve been slowly creeping towards 1:2 mix of paint and water. Mostly due to the fact that I’ve begun experimenting with using a mixture of Foundation White and the intended base colour to create a single layer of coloured primer. But that white paint is extremely thick and clogs up my airbrush within minutes.

Also, I’ve notice that there can be quite e difference between the consistencies of the individual paint bottles. For example, my previous flesh tone was quite runny but the replacement I bought recently is so thick that I can hardly get it out of the bottle. Really annoying...

Strangely enough, as I mentioned in my Jagdpanzer E 100 thread, the 1:3 mix of black wash and satin varnish that I use to protect the base colour, and work as the first layer of weathering, is playing havoc with my airbrush, despite being quite thin. Not sure if it’s because I’m mixing Vallejo and Games Workshop paints or if it’s something in the varnish that does it...

Latest posts

Back