Using a remote to switch on power to LED's?

JohnSimmons

For Spud: I was once Merseajohn
Hey is there a way to use a remote control (like a tv remote etc) to turn on a switch On/off inside your model? Would be realy handy. No fiddling about in your cabinet to switch it on, very handy at model show competitions just handy all round really. I suppose you would need an IR sensor somewhere but that could be hidden. I know Grendels has used a magnet switch which is getting close to my idea, dunno just thought it would be cool.

I don't know of anything specific to what you are asking for. The only way I can think of is to get a kids RC toy, and hack it apart.

The other route is to visit an RC store. Talk to someone that knows a lot about planes, cars and Heli's. They will know if there is a cheap solution to what you are looking for.

The third thing you can try is to get a wireless switch for the power source. One that plugs into the wall between your power source and the wall plug. There are plenty of those on the market. I have a lot of LED cabinet lights and I have a wireless switch for them.

Thanks G, my brother is into all the RC stuff so I'll ask him. I'll look into the £ store and see if there's any RC little cars I can rip to bits.

Cheers for the link Norm,why? lazyness, keeping it tidy and just......to see of it was possible really

merseajohn said:
Cheers for the link Norm,why? lazyness, keeping it tidy and just......to see of it was possible really

Hope you can use that circuit? If someone can do it. It's you!

Later big guy!

Ziz said:
Grendels said:
The third thing you can try is to get a wireless switch for the power source. One that plugs into the wall between your power source and the wall plug. There are plenty of those on the market. I have a lot of LED cabinet lights and I have a wireless switch for them.

http://www.x10.com/automation/wireless_remotes.html

The Starter Kits come with different types of remotes.

I would not use X-10 with LED lighting. I have tried, you get either a flicker when the power is off, or it just won't turn off.

My latest trial was with LED cabinet lights. I would turn them off and the X-10 module would turn them back on again about an hour later.

I did find a remote switch that did work with the cabinet lights. It was not the X-10 brand and was specific for LED's.

I understand the idea and usefulness or requirement for such circuit but instead of buying full blown units! I would experiment with the Very tinny circuit I linked to! As this unit would fit in a model and activated by any iR remote in the house! No programing at all!

Then you could not hate yourself for losing the remote? LOL

Best of luck!

Back