Trumpeter or Airfix?

13aceofspades13

lets kick some tires and lights some fires!
im looking at this model of a 1/24th scale P-51D Mustang, which would be a more detailed better model, of the 1/24th scale kit, if anyone would know, the Trumpeter or Airfix?

i don't know if i am going to buy it, but im looking at it! or should i just get a 1/32 scale

HI 13aceofspades13
i havnt got much experiance but i normally make arifix models and revell ,but airfix sometimes has fitting ishues with cannapies and the fusalage or fuz for short,unless you can get a new tooling airfix model they seem to go together really good,or just go for the model thats right for you

paul

I dont normally build wingy things ! But in my experience Trumpeter is better ,Their armour kits would be on the same level as Dragon ,but you need to be aware of older kits as some of them leave a lot to be desired !!.

Chris.

I have that Airfix 1/24 P-51D and have started seperating the parts and cleaning them up.
I think with any kit that big, getting your joins nice and clean is crucial as they show up more, so expect some filler work on either kit. Also, if you are doing an aluminium/chrome finish it is even more important to make the joins clean, as those finishes show blemishes up even more.
From what I can see the size (especially the cockpit) allows for a lot of improvement by adding scratchbuilt stuff and weathering.
I got mine for only £20 in a sale, so it was a bargain.

The Trumpeter kit is by far more detailed, however the Airfix kit would be the cheaper of the 2.

So it comes down to cost vs detail then. Just depends on what you want.

Elm City Hobbies said:
The Trumpeter kit is by far more detailed, however the Airfix kit would be the cheaper of the 2.

So it comes down to cost vs detail then. Just depends on what you want.
Somehow, I think this is the one to listen to.

I built the old Airfix and.... I would not buy it if I saw it again! Massive kit but very old!
Save up and buy yourself a nice trump. 30 years younger kit!

I've an old Airfix kit currently in my WiP - fit wise it sucks! Without doubt, it's the worst fitting plastic I've ever touched. I've only built one Trumpeter kit so far and I was happy with the kit for the most part. Instructions could have been a little more detailed, or with a few more colour / paint call outs. I would build another.

Latest posts

Back