Titanic 1:1200 Revell Sinking, Breaking Up and Lighted

So the pouring went fine, until I noticed resin coming out from under the mold, I lifted the mold to see where it came from and thus spilling some resin out of the mold (look at the left side), panic! Seems the leak is the brass tube. I added some more resin to compensate and turned a spatial heater on it and this is what I have now. After about 6 hours the resin is already not liquid anymore, the color is a bit too transparent to my liking but the real test will be when the lights are on in the ship. I added a nice detail also, there's some debris around the fractured area of the ship. And look at that rigging :) It's the best I could do. Later on will add the rear mast and rigging. Let me know what you think sofar.

9051411291_b9a780f7ff_o.jpg
9053640258_14b3865a8b_o.jpg

;D ;D Nice !
The splintered hull beneath the water is Fantastic .
I imagine you can add a glaze/wash later to the 'water' to darken it's appearance .
It's going to be fun for you to play with the light effects :)
Uru

Very cool,and nice job.

What would be good if you could get some small row boats and have them around the ship, but i guess they don't have much like that in this scale. ???

Thanks guys,

I'm going to let the ship sit for a while. Bit disappointed, turned the lights on shortly which is hard to do cause the wires are covered with epoxy. Major disappointment, de front deck has separated from the hull a bit, probably from epoxy inside the hull or air. Which is very obvious in the dark cause light shines through the seams. There's no way to fix this since it's "underwater". For the rest the lighting looks nice.

I'll take some pictures when it's all cured and I take the mold off.

Barry

Barry,

dont be too hard on yourself, it is a great project and you've done a great job mate ! :)

shane.

Thanks Shane the soothing words!

I think I was just a little bit too ambitious about this build and left a lot of variables to be determined without testing all of the possible outcomes. It's a learning curve allright, you're right, still will be an awesome display.

And can't wait to start something new :)

After the mold comes off (I took a side piece off already) I need to somehow fix the wires embedded in epoxy, a resistor snapped, add some waves with the clear sealer, maybe some lifeboats like was mentioned (wasn't gonna do that but will complete the scene). The aft mast and rigging and flag post and the base (have to modify it now the mold has a lump of epoxy on the bottom).

I got a bunch of led's today in the mail and also something I never saw or used before, a hollow fiber optic called "side light", works kind of like a flexible tube emitting light when you stick an led to it. This could be used for like a sign, a neon kind of effect. Might be something for a Blade Runner Spinner dio :)

Barry

im sure the display will look stunning mate :)
adding the life boats trying row away from the ship would add alot to the drama of the diorama and add a sense of scale to the model :)

oh a blade runner project that should be cool ! ;)

great work mate

Shane.

Here's a daytime shot, mold removed! It wasn't easy taking the mold off but I guess this proves that simple clear packaging tape works.
9067403404_5b1c95d580_o.jpg
9065199491_f7aa9ae55b_o.jpg

Man , that looks awesome !
I know you're focusing on what little mistakes you see but that thing rocks !
I love the water over the deck ;D
Uru

Thanks Uru!

I fixed the wiring so I could show you guys what it looks like at night all lit up ready to sink! :)

I also had an idea if I ever want to mess with an ocean again; a cutaway sub that just fired a torpedo (or is about to be hit by one!), has to be cut away cause where else can you put lights on a sub, right? Or a sub at the moment of impact of a torpedo blowing to pieces?

Another variant of the Titanic dio could be the wreck on the bottom lighted by the lights on a ROV vehicle, like they did for the documentary about Titanic, that could be cool as well.

Barry

9069170189_4d7fa10b5a_o.jpg
9071396588_9462f6fab6_o.jpg
9069171093_0afa8b38d5_o.jpg
9071397402_63ec642166_o.jpg
9071397784_75befbb189_o.jpg
9071398054_677f04d44b_o.jpg
9069172551_25f29c0bf1_o.jpg

I know you had some complaints, but it's very creative and I think you did a good job with it. The fact that it makes you want to stop and stare at it from every angle is proof of that.

...and I really liked your ideas for other underwater builds, especially the ROV. :)

Thanks Matthew, appreciate it.

I know I will appreciate it more once I get a bit more distance and away from the details. As it's sitting on my desk now it looks really nice, better even than in the pictures cause all is in focus :) Even the light leakage isn't that bad as it's mostly underwater.

Hell, I just might even do a Titanic triptich, the ROV scene and maybe one of it being launched?

Barry

Now that is a work of art.... I almost feel like I'm watching the Titanic breaking up from a life boat. I just Creepy /Awsome. :eek:

;D ;D Oh , Man ,,, that's sweet !
I'm just now seeing the lighted pics -- my internet's been in & out , bogged ----they wouldn't load :(

Well , I don't know where all these problems are -- it looks righteous on this end !
Uru

Latest posts

Back