Tiny Titanic!

You're not kidding when you said tiny... I think you can go so far as to say teeny weenie! Thiny doesn't do that scale justice... Teeny Weenie sounds alot better and is supported by the younger age groups these days! Ranks right up there with "cooties" and "poopie" LOL This is looking great my friend... I would have to agree with Tailor thou about how to use PE... always save it for last no matter how much you wanna see it yourself because it's soooooooooo easy to bend outta shape and once you do it's next to impossible to fix it back the way it should be. Keep it up and I love your blog!

Ugh... getting a little frustrated with how little time I have to work on this. Oh well, vacation next week should get me back in the swing of things.

I've corrected the mast color on the bow..
8630730302_b90f337a7f.jpg
Untitled by anguscubed, on Flickr

built a few more cranes...
8629625453_9cd86bc574.jpg

and worked on the rear wheelhouse. After looking at some other builds, I think the wheel house wheel is in the wrong position. It looks like that H piece should drop through the floor down to the deck making the wheel a lot closer to where someone could actually use it. In this shot you can better see the fine photoetch stairs. You can also see where i need to do a little more clean-up on seams and paint. :)
8630741964_b98d23f8e8.jpg
IMG_0290 by anguscubed, on Flickr

I got an hour yesterday to work on it... woohoo! Thank goodness vacation is next week and it's a STAY-Cation! I'll be able to get some appreciable work done, and perhaps a video update or two.

I sunk (pardon the pun) the steering wheel platform down where it was supposed to be:
8643136321_9410e5e7d0.jpg

And I painted and installed some interior walls. I used a brown micron pen to outline the windows. Thank goodness for the Optivisor!

8643136799_4447235d63.jpg

More soon.. for sure! and I'll be able to catch up on other people's builds too! Can't wait to see Grendels' Honda get some weathering!

Got a little more in today, but not enough for a video yet.

I cut out the roof of the Marconi room. The instructions said to make it a bit bigger to be more accurate, so I cut out the hole a little too aggressively. I had to add in some styrene rod to fill in some gaps. I guess Academy must have corrected the kit part after Toms made the instructions.

8645654029_6fd2cfa1c0.jpg

8645654827_52f2a6aba4.jpg

Then I scratched up my paint a little while installing the extra small stairs... there are eight of these little gems!
8645655573_afe0b17125.jpg

I also got a little more of the interior walls done.
8646753690_4fc1b15960.jpg

I'm still waiting for my flickering LEDs to arrive. I may have to go with straight warm-white LEDs if they don't come in this week.

Nice work with those tiny little parts....

Underlord said:
More soon.. for sure! and I'll be able to catch up on other people's builds too! Can't wait to see Grendels' Honda get some weathering!

Sorry I am working really slow on that Honda. So many small little parts that need three or four colors of paint. Madness I say!

This looks amazing. Im looking for a decent titanic model now iv seen yours.. I remember it was the 1st model i got on my 15th birthday :)

Thanks Ridgers22, This is the year to get a "good" Titanic model. This one ain't it, although it is pretty good for the scale. The 1:350 also from Academy, especially the Centennial edition released last year are superb! You can learn about the ship, models, and after-market upgrades for her at http://titanic-model.com/

Quaralane and Grendels thanks guys! Those LEDs won't be a loss though, they will look great in the engine cans of X-Wings and Vipers :)

Wow thats a great website and i was looking at the academy 1 last night acually lol. Need a bit of saving 1st its not cheep lol

Well, it's been almost 4 weeks since I was able to spend any time on this model due to "normal life" interference. Considering I'm a little less than half done, I don't think I'm going to finish for the contest.

Once I connected the upper decks to the hull I noticed that I can see my red power lead right through all those beautifully open windows! In order to do this build justice, I'm going to have to use crystal clear to fill in all those tiny windows, but it will look much better once that is done anyway.

I also lost one of the cranes on bow. I had glued that in before getting the excellent advice to keep the photo etch off until major assembly is complete. At this time, the carpet monster hasn't regurgitated it, but there is still hope!

I'll give an honest try to make significant progress this weekend since it is a long weekend here in the US. I still have base mounting, all those windows to fill touch-up painting, smoke stacks, and photo etch railings to go, not to mention any other photo-etch goodies that I haven't figured out where they go :)

It'll get done, even if it isn't done for the contest. I am looking forward to working on other models though! This one has beaten me to a pulp! A great learning project!

Latest posts

Back