Tiny Titanic!

Underlord

I pronounce them Dee-kal and Tam-eye-ah.
TITANIC_001.jpg
Ok, I think I’ve honestly gone completely bonkers! I’ve been building kits for gifts. (I’ve made a few for myself, too) Last year I entered a diorama, and had lots of fun. This year, there is no diorama category, and in keeping with extending myself beyond my comfort zone I decided to break open an RMS Titanic model I had bought for my wife. Once inside I realized this thing is TINY! I mean the iPhone 5 next to it is probably bigger than the iceberg! I looked at the parts and figured lighting it will be a breeze, but the railings and rigging are WAY WAY WAY out of scale, so I ordered the photo etch parts… There are two sets for this ship, the railings, and another for even more details and rigging. When I saw that there was 1/700 people, I just HAD to see what that looks like! I love this hobby, it is filled with good hearted and honest people. I’ve learned so much from the teachings supplied by Scott, Bad Grendels, the list goes on and on!

Saying 1/700 railings are small is like saying the universe can hold a few grains of sand! I’m going to order an opti-visor so I can have a chance of seeing this stuff! If I can pull this one off, I’ll be able to handle ANY photo etch in the future!

Now, I hope I get some evenings to work on it!
8547136386_01e7315a2e.jpg

Nice! I will be keeping tabs on this build; I may look for this kit to build for my daughter! :)

This should be interesting... its not that small... but I'm sure you'll have fun building it!

Super!
Great to see on of the Classic Liners here in this competition! I am looking forward to your experiences with the kit.

Will be watching this one. The wife has one in the stash. I didn't know that there was PE for it.

Oh my goodness, what have I gotten myself into?! Spent some more tie on it tonight, an I finally finished step ONE of fifteen! Ugh!

Untitled by anguscubed, on Flickr

Jim, thank goodness that that even tinier Titanic was paper... What am I saying?! You are amazing to even try it!

Les: I hope your daughter is an adult. Even if you build her out of the box, she has tons of tiny parts and is very fragile...

Quaraline: I am seriously jellous of your Queen of Spades build! I have one of those in my stash, and I am glad it goes together easy... I'll need a break after this one.

Solander, I am very impressed with the photo etch. Toms Modelworks did a great job. I would have preferred more elaborate instructions that didn't assume I know what a poop deck is (outside of the porch my mother in laws dog uses to relieve herself). The detail is amazing. I do need to invest in some small shop tools for bending though.

Grendels: I saw it in one of your videos, and was quite relieved that it wasn't for the contest... But you know that I had another ship I could enter... With a TARDIS on deck! LOL as for the PE, I got 769. 770, and 723... Although I probably won't be using the people.

Yikes, you weren't kidding about tiny.
I have that paint stand you're using. Now I know how small this little lady really is.

Underlord- Wait to attach the tiny detail such as the ratlines until after you have put together the big subassemblies. These super-fine parts will not survive handling for long!
Nice shade paint for the wood deck!

Part 1 of Vlog
2013 SMA Spring Conetst -Titanic 01

Part 2 of Vlog
2013 SMA Spring Contest - Titanic 02

Quaralane: Many of us have that stand. :) I put the q-tip in there at the end of my latest youtube update for scale too. I'm Sooooooo glad I got my Optivisor this week. I'm surely going to need it for this.

Tailor: Yeah, I'm beginning to see the error of putting the rigging up to the mast (if those are the correct terms) already. I'll have to re-think assembly order. I'm going to be taking a break from the photo-etch to concentrate on a lighting plan next. :)

Grendels: I hope Nelly has really good eyes! :)

((Edited to embed the video links))--Q

Underlord said:
Tailor: Yeah, I'm beginning to see the error of putting the rigging up to the mast (if those are the correct terms) already. I'll have to re-think assembly order. I'm going to be taking a break from the photo-etch to concentrate on a lighting plan next. :)

You'll need to put all the big assemblies of the kit together together and then work the deatils from the bottom up und from the inside to the outside. Rigging - such as the ratlines- is always to come last. I recommend you to prime all the PE black on the sprue, porper painting and thouch up should be done right before you attach the parts into their position. This is the best way to avoid little shiny bits in places hard to reach once the pieces are installed. Been there, done that and have a closet full of T-shirts to proove it.
Having taken a look at your Big-T in 700th scale it is defenitely moving up on the must-have-one-list! Keep it coming, man!
Cheers!

Latest posts

Back