Thoughts on the Harbor Freight Deluxe Airbrush

CyberShadow

I have been looking around for an airbrush, decided that I'm going to pick up the Harbor Freight Deluxe Airbrush this weekend (it's cheap, what can I say).

I saw that a few in the Nerd Herd picked them up last year... Thoughts after using them for a while? Any advice?

I will probably pick up a better one (if this one doesn't suit my needs) but I wanted to start with something cheap. I have a Air Compressor/Pancake Tank combo (Bosch) that I use in woodworking, I'm thinking this should be more than enough, though a little loud when filling the tank.

Can't tell you on mine, because I gunked it up completely in my first couple of attempts to use it.

Got a new brush awhile back, and sealed the leaks on the compressor joints since.

They are what they are: knock offs of various "real" airbrushes. Although I haven't used one myself I do know people who have and are perfectly happy, but I know others who have gotten turned off airbrushing altogether by them. To me if you plan to get something better eventually, why not save your money and do it now?

Well, ran out to Harbor Freight and picked one up. Got a $3 discount, so it was only $11.99. I just wanted to get one for basic model priming and whatnot. Sun, I would have had to wait for a while to get a "real" airbrush as I don't have $80-$100 right now.

Just playing around with it right now and so far, not too bad. Just getting the hang of it. My daughter (15, soon to be 16) is already got the hang of it. We picked up a few MC paints and my daughter had got some "tattoo" paint that she wants to use on me...

I'll let everyone know what my overall thoughts are after this weekend.

Well, I think I'm pretty satisfied with the airbrush so far. At this point I think most of the challenges are with getting the right paint consistency and PSI (from 15 up to 35). Dry tip has happened quite a few times and after the first cleanup, it took me a few minutes to figure out how to put it back together correctly. I haven't decided to quit, so it's not too bad.

I've been using Vallejo Model Colors thinned with distilled water or the Vallejo Surface Primer (not thinned) and think I'm getting decent results. I haven't tried Windex or any Acrylic thinners as of yet. I may pick up some Vallejo Thinner this week and give that a shot.

I'm not really sure what the difference in performance would be between this Harbor Freight "Deluxe" Airbrush and something more expensive, but I'll probably be picking up a Paasche Talon or Badger 105 in December.

I have determined that I will need to purchase a QUIET compressor for use while airbrushing. My Bosch Air Compressor if fine for running a nail gun and other construction/woodworking related stuff, but it's waaayyyy too loud for use in the apartment in the later evenings or early mornings.

Hey CS,

Let me tell you my AB journey and hopefully it will add to your knowledge base as you move forward.

I started out with a Paasche H AB in the early 90's. It did a fine job and I was always happy with it. A little over a year ago the seals finally gave up and it wasn't really cost effective to repair it so I decided to replace it with another Paasche H. Well it just so happened I was at a show about a week after this happened and was able to pick up an Iwata Revolution HP-BCR extremely cheap. As happy as I was with my old "H" the Iwata was a total step above. The spray pattern appeared more precise and consistent with a finer mist. It was much more controllable for me. I was happy! Now, as happy as I was I wanted a gravity feed AB and got my hands on one last August. It is an Iwata Eclipse HP-CS. I love it!!! Gravity feed makes all the difference in the world when you're trying to do intricate work. It's not very useful for covering large areas but I still have the BCR for that. I'm not saying Iwata is the only way to go. They just happened to be what I ended up with. What I am saying is that any AB can lay down paint but some of them are much more precise about it than others. Use what works for you.

HTH

CyberShadow said:
I'm not really sure what the difference in performance would be between this Harbor Freight "Deluxe" Airbrush and something more expensive, but I'll probably be picking up a Paasche Talon or Badger 105 in December.

I believe its less about performance and more about consistency. Manufacturing tolerances will be much lower on the knock-offs so not only will they vary from sample to sample but perhaps more importantly replacement parts (needles, nozzles especially), if you can even get them, will be hit and miss as one tries to mate one less precise part to another.

By the sounds of it you have a functional gun and I hope it serves you long enough to get you to the next one. Like Ace said an Iawata CS, Badger 105, or H&S Evolution (to name just a few good all around brushes) is going to give you more control and confidence working with it.

CyberShadow said:
I have determined that I will need to purchase a QUIET compressor for use while airbrushing. My Bosch Air Compressor if fine for running a nail gun and other construction/woodworking related stuff, but it's waaayyyy too loud for use in the apartment in the later evenings or early mornings.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-5-hp-58-psi-compressor-and-airbrush-kit-95630.html - The same airbrush with a 1/5 hp compressor

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-8-eighth-hp-40-psi-oilless-airbrush-compressor-93657.html - 1/8 hp compressor alone.

I bought a HFT AB about a year ago. I stil use it. Very thin paints leaks out but I guess I am too cheap to dish out the xtra cash for a name brand. I do have a Badger (single action) that is about 15 years old. It still works like a champ.

Looks like my last post was lost... Hmmm, not sure what I did with that.

Anyways, the AB is pretty decent but the biggest issue I have right now with it is cleanup. It's a PITA. My next AB must be easier to clean! The cup is pretty leaky too. It just seems like it should be easier to breakdown & clean. There is a part of the trigger that was a beast to figure out and get in right, that just seems like bad design to me.

So, any recommendations on the best place to purchase AB/Compressor combo at a good price? I've been looking at TCP Global, best I've found so far.

CyberShadow said:
the biggest issue I have right now with it is cleanup. It's a PITA.

Two words for you: Gravity Feed. :) Because the paint chamber is "open" at the top they are much easier to clean out than siphons.

So, any recommendations on the best place to purchase AB/Compressor combo at a good price? I've been looking at TCP Global, best I've found so far.

I buy everything from my local hobby shop so I cant offer any first hand experience. TCP Global definitely has selection but you might want to check out MidTenn. They've got a good price on the TC910 compressor I recently reviewed and carry both Badger and Harder & Steenbeck (my two favorites right now), spares and all.

you can get a nice iwata neo at hobby lobby , use a 40% of coupon and you got a very nice(bottom or gravity version) airbrush for little expense.

I won't comment of the Harbor freight airbrushes

Thanks for the recommendation RocketSilo, I hadn't looked at this AB previously. I have not been overly happy with how the HF AB performs, but it was cheap and gave me a somewhat decent baseline.

I may decide to go with this option rather than a Badger Patriot/105, since it will be about half the cost. I checked some reviews, looks like it's pretty easy to assemble/disassemble and most importantly, to clean. I know I'm going to have to get a new compressor so perhaps if I save a few $$ on the AB at minimum.

If anyone else has any experience with the Neo for Iwata, please let me know what you think.

-CS

My understanding is that the Neo is NOT made by Iwata. Iwata just markets them. That said I have heard they are a decent AB.

I saw that as well ShutterAce, it's NOT an Iwata AB. Odd way to hedge the companies reputation in the "cheaper airbrush" market.

In any case, I think I will end up getting a Badger Patriot, ended up finding it on Amazon for $69 with free 2 day shipping (Amazon Prime, it's worth it).

Perhaps I'll put up a new thread with my review once I've purchased, as a use it.

Thanks all!
-CS

You'll love it. I've got no less than four airbrushes, all of which I use, and while the 105 is not the best of them, its probably the easiest to use and maintain. Very versatile. A great all around gun for sure.

I mentioned the Neo for Iwata because you can get a great deal with a Hobby Lobby coupon , and because I picked one up ,, and can say it's a great little airbrush, the action is very smooth.
The needle size is just right for airbrushing models

Latest posts

Back