"The Thing" Antartica snow tracker?

builder101

With the snow falling over Western PA and being the middle of Feb I really enjoy a movie taken place in the cold elements. The Thing ,remade in 2011 is a decent movie that happens to be on HBO right now. While I model in my shop sometimes I put it on.. just to have something on that will not totally distract me from my work.

From the very start the scientists are traveling across the beautiful landscape of Antartica in this yellow cool snow tracker.. I love this machine, after seeing it a few times I tried to find out if this snow cat machine exists and I can't seem to find anything after searching some on the internet.. I would love someday to scratch build this beast crossing a small snow filled diorama. Any thoughts? I grabbed a sceen shot and have noticed other parts in the movie where I could get some good images. Looks pretty simple in design, I think a realistic cool model could be made from this..

So what do you guy's think? It maybe an up and coming project for me maybe even for next winter.

Here is the pic ----

snowtracker_zps9d81ea00.jpg

Does anyone recognize this vehicle? No imput.. Thoughts? I guess this was a model made specifically for the movie? :-X

that does look cool, there is a kit that looks like it made by hobbyboss and it could be a good base fro scratch building

Even a basic RSO/01 would serve as a good base. The tracks may be hard to pinpoint though. Most of these vehicles are modified box trucks laid on a construction vehicle chassis. Should'nt be too hard to even get a tank and an ice cream truck model and cobble the two together into a decent resemblance of what's pictured.

Here's a Google image search for: flexmobil

Looks like the same kind of vehicle.

flex.jpg

Thank you to everyone who looked into this a bit for me.. you guy's came up with some great info and idea's of how to tackle something like this. Maybe in the near future this tracking through the snow would look pretty cool in a diorama as I for-mentioned. I now have a better idea of how to go about it.

Thanks,

Mike

Latest posts

Back