The Duke

Hallo!
Wow, I am always amazed about what you guys can do with enamels... I started painting minis with my old Revells and it was a gooey mess!! I then discovered acrylics and never looked back since. Now I see the pictures with your excellent work and I am tempted to go down to the basement and dig up my box with enamels... ;D I hope, I didn't throw them out when I moved last february... :'( I am looking forward to your next pics.

Happy Painting, Sarah.

i think humbrol enammels are nice to paint with i just hate the drying time on them, revel enamels were mucj many years ago, duno what they are like now

Sarah ,Revell paints are not really any good for brush painting ,they tend to go thick and stringy , Humbrol is a totaly different animal and really nice to use with a brush ;)

Chris.

Hi Sara,

Thanks for the complements! Glad to have you on board to watch the progress of the duke.

I would like to give you a big complement by saying from the looks of your spider and base, you have really mastered painting with acrylics.

I have been using Humbrol paints since I was a very young boy. That is what I learned to paint with because my local Hobby shop stocked them. If I try anything else, I will try oils.

I have never tried Revell paints, so I don’t know what they are like to work with.

Big-J

Hi!
So, then the Revells stay in the basement ;) maybe I get some Humbrols then, when I can grab then.

@Big-John Thanks for the compliment and right back at you. Looking forward to follow the Duke.

Sarah.

Thanks for the complements Sara.

As promised, here’s an update for the week end. It doesn’t look like much progress, but there was a lot of work in those tan trousers. Pistol belt was painted with oils.

duke-2.jpg

The rifle is completed, the wood parts were painted with oils and still wet. The Gloss will die down as it dries.

IM005857.jpg

Here is a shot of a work station I made to hold all the sub assemblies.

IM005858.jpg

I need to let the rifle dry before attaching the arm. I will move back to the head finishing the hair and hat while things dry.

Brilliant work John :eek: I can appreciate the amount of work that went into the trousers ,one of those colours that is difficult to get the shading to look right ,but you hit it bang on buddy . I like the belts too and the wood on the rifle is excellent :) .....Keep at it ;)

Chris.

Thanks for the complements Tony and Chris! :)

I just finished painting the boots for Jelly. Will let them dry a bit and see if I need to tweak them before I take pictures. ;)

Boots look brilliant John ,you've really captured the worn leather very well ;) Its fun when a figure grabs you to the point you cant put it down ,I feel thats when you do your best work :)

Chris.

Fantastic work Big John. As a plane & Scifi guy, I'm totally amazed by the figure modelers.

Thanks for all the complements.

I started on the base today. The ground work is still wet.

IM005865.jpg

IM005866.jpg

Well folks, it’s done!

I would like to thank those who have followed along and thanks for all your comments. This was a fun little project and feels good to finish something.

Overall, I am very pleased with how it turned out. I feel I still need more practice with painting faces. I would like to see a little more contrast than this one has.

I finished this off by mounting it to an Andrea base. I applied a layer of A & B putty, sprinkled on some “Floor Dry” and pressed it in to the putty, I then glued the floor dry down with Matt Medium. After this dried, I dusted the ground work with Mig Pigments.

I may start another one while I’m still in figure mode.

duke-4.jpg

duke-5.jpg

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: wow thats Fantastic i would love to be able to paint figs like that, absolutly great job bj

Hey BJ not bad not bad at all. 8)
The stance is pure John Wayne.

Now do one of Clint for us ;D
Tony lee

Thanks Guys!!

Spud, you can do it, just pick up some figures and start painting. I used to be scared of painting figures. Then I made up my mind to just do it!

Tony, You would like to see Clint huh? I was just sitting at my desk trying to decide what to do next. Looks like you just made my mind up for me, LOL ;)

Latest posts

Back