The Duke

Big-John

Well I went and got my self involved in another campaign on another site. This one is a figure campaign of the Wild West.

I ordered this figure, and should have it early this week.

http://www.andrea-miniatures.com/_carro/AspsProductos/Detalle.asp?IdProductoDetalle=30

I plan to post a work in progress here, so please stay tuned.

It’s been a while since I painted any figures, so we’ll see how sharp my skills are. I am by no means an expert figure painter

Cool Big-John,

It will be good to see the duke, riding again.

Regards,

Craig.

Here are the pictures of the kit. Overall, A nice looking kit. The casting looks good, and the fit seams good. Now I have to work my way through the boring part of cleaning up the mold seams which don’t look to bad on this one

IM005825.jpg

These are the parts in the kit that I will be using.

IM005827.jpg

I will not be using these items, I will place the figure on a smaller, more simple base.

IM005829.jpg

Yes spud, it is metal, I have been cleaning seams and polishing it out with steel wool. And yes, it is "him" lol

Looks good John ,apart from a lot of flash around the rifle and forearm .
BTW ,have you seen the the fig of the Duke on his horse ,the one from true Grit ...its a cracking piece ,one I plan to do sometime ;D

Chris.

Hi Chris,

Yeah the rifle is gona be the hardest part to clean up. And yes, I have seen the “True Grit” figure, I really fancy that one too.

Speaking of True Grit, you need to watch the new remake with Jeff Bridges. It pretty good.

Just a small update. This week ends progress. All primed and ready to start laying down some color.

IM005830.jpg

the new movie is AWSOME.

and wow the head is an awsome copy of "HIM"

Hi John ,
The primer really brought out the sculpt didnt it !!! The face does look like the man . The belts look well sculpted too .

Bring on the paint ;D

Chris.

Ok, I can see, Big John: so you have "primed" him with enamels ??

(Yeah, the new movie is very good, I´ve enjoyed it, but I don´t like what happens to the girl´s black horsey... :'( )

So you´re going to paint this fellow with Humbrols, ah?

Spud and Chris,

Its harder to see in the pics, but to the naked eye, the face RALLY looks like “him”. I just hope I can do it justice with my painting ability.

Jelly,

The primer is an automotive primer in a spry can. The rest of the figure will be painted with Humbrols, even the flesh tones.

Started laying down the color, most of the flesh tone is done. I used Humbrol paints. All I can say is my eye sight is not what it used to be. After looking at the pics, I decided to go back and blend the face some more. I did this with a small filbert brush dampened with a little thinner. I then touched up the high lights again. The pics do not reflect this step.

The close up of the face looks like crap, but looks pretty good to the naked eye. I feel I have too much red in the flesh “mix”.

I’m not looking forward to painting the eyes. I should have painted them first so I could touch up around them with the flesh colors.

But like they say, no pain, no gain. I must carry on.

IM005836.jpg

IM005837.jpg

Hi John ..what do ya mean it looks crap !!!! looks real good from where Im sitting ,got to remember its only 54mm so the head its much much bigger in the shots ,keep it going buddy .Remember ,use a toothpick splinter to do the eyes ;)

Chris.

:) Hey Big-John,
I think you´re judging yourself hard,

I´m recently following the toothpick technique, its really good,
but as I´m not fully confident with me, I FIRST paint the eyes, then I proceed to go slowly painting the flesh around the eyes: this way I have much more maneuver field with the brush, an more control.

The fig is OK, Big-J., don´t punish your mind, it´s OK :) ... We can´t be Chris, Biskup and the other crack painting mates here, and there are a lot...
To me, in this figure, J. Wayne just closed the eyes to see better in the far distance (he got no glasses), just that, and that´s OK.
And the flesh is OK: close ups are always morale killers.

Go on, Big-John ;)
RG

Thanks Chris and jelly. ;D

I am much happier with it after I went back and re blended the face. I think part of it is that I’m using Humbrol instead of oils. The problem I run into with oils is that no matter how hard I try, I always over blend them, creating a gooey mess…lol

I was thinking about this while driving to work this morning and realized that it was just a 54mm head, and maybe I should resize my pictures to create the illusion of a figure at normal viewing distance with the naked eye.

looks real good to me bj. what do you use to glue teh metal wth, super glue?

Latest posts

Back