The Battle of the Hoth

Just to let you know, i recently reinstalled the myth and magic cds to get reference.
There's a quizz in it, and i fell on a question just for Scott:

So... officially, the Blizzard force, led by Veers on Hoth, was composed of 5 At-ats and 1 At-st.
And the rebels managed to destroy 2 At-ats during the battle, of course.

Scott Girvan said:
I like Star Wars too but lets not start an anti-armor flame war ok.

I'm not Anti Armour at all. I was merley expressing the pros and cons of the subjects you have rejected and chosen. ok?

If I were you I would have probably gone with the King Tiger, infact. :)

Oh you are building the big AT-ATs? That's awesome. The diorama will be... quite big then. Also: Can't wait to see your way of making snow.

When you think about it, The AT-AT's are by all intensive purposes....futuristic armor. Just think of the weathering possibilities!!!!! ;D

I grew up on Star wars as a kid, build a couple of AMT kit's(horrible but I was a kid it was fun), I could see this build getting my Jedi juices flowing!

Thanks all. Yeah the MPC ones. This is gonna be big....not sure how big. Looking at that tonight. Kind of mocking it up.

@spencer. I didn't mean you were anti armor. What I meant by that was simply lets all not start an anti-armor thread. Not you specifically.

And yeah AT-ATs are armor. I like that.

Here's my full thought on the dio.
I have the Rebel Base kit, with the small falcon and medium transport. I'd LOVE to have the hangar be part of this dio. So 3 AT-AT's, although I SHOULD have 5, one AT-ST, ground troops, 8 snowspeeders, 8 turrets, big Shield Generator, Big Ion Cannon (mine is way to small really) and then the base, kind of with a look through area, force the perspective a bit. I'd love to go that big. I set up some plywood tonight just to get a feel for the size and 2' x 7' long is about enough. That's with 3 AT-ATs, with 5, well I'd need more.

SO, whew that was long winded. Anyone ever make a base that is 2 parts and can be joined together seamlessly. I thought if I make the joint at the trench I might be able to get away with it.

Let the brainstorming ideas fly! Thanks.

Here are two pics of the layout I'm toying with. Kinda long though.

[attachment deleted by admin]

You should use the cutaway parts you made to rebuild the fallen one as exploded like it was in the movie. It would also add more to the scene. You can also make wreckage to be partially buried in the snow.

Great idea Sean. So it would be like it was hit and exploded revealing some of the guts (head and leg)

I don't think just having a cutaway version would fit in very well anyway.

Scott Girvan said:
Great idea Sean. So it would be like it was hit and exploded revealing some of the guts (head and leg)

I don't think just having a cutaway version would fit in very well anyway.

Just like in the film after Wedge and Janson downed the one. Another speeder came back to finish it off.

The drum kit and keyboards will have to go, too. sorry, Scott ^^

No, seriously, you were right about one thing, the ion cannon looks way too small.
Other than that, good dramatic action going on here. Huge diorama, too.

I saw a great Ion Cannon Build in a german Forum. You may have a look at it as well: http://www.phoxim.de/forum/index.php?topic=545.0

OH WOW! Thank you elend! That is awesome! I'm gonna rebuild mine. - oh, oh it's starting again.

Went to Micheal's on the weekend of picked up a 4" diameter clear plastic sphere - the biggest they had. It will make a much better ion cannon. Worked on the wooden base all weekend. I'll get some pics up later today.

Thanks for showing the layout, Scott! I don't recall a giant orange toque from the movie, though. Or does it represent an explosion? ;D

Could be an explosion.

Working on a laundry list for this diorama. Here it is:

Fallen AT-AT
Scribe
Modify Legs
Paint
Weather

AT-AT Blizzard 1
Scribe
Finish Assembly
Paint
Weather

AT-AT Blizzard 2
Scribe
Assemble
Paint
Weather

AT-ST
Paint
Weather

Ion Cannon
Scratch Build
Paint
Weather

Snow speeders (x8)
Modify
Weather

Figures
Cleanup
Paint
Weather

MF
Accurize a bit
Paint
Weather

Medium Transport & tiny Xwings
Accurize a bit
Paint
Weather

Rebel Base Interior
Assemble kit parts
Scratchbuild remain parts
Paint
Weather

Outpost, Rebel Battle field Equipment
Scratchbuild
Paint
Weather

Turrets and Guns
Assemble
Paint
Weather

Terrain
Scratchbuild
Paint
Weather

Power Generator
Scratch build
Paint
Weather

Wooden Base
Build
Paint

I did time estimates on each task and the total is 153 hours. With just over 50 days until the Shearwater show I would have to put in around 3 hours...per day...to make this deadline. Plus film and edit videos. Hmmmm.

Dang! This sounds like it's gonna be kinda of a big diarama. Did you measure out how the base is gonna be yet?

Yeah I did. Actually the base is finished except for a coat of paint. The actual diorama surface (not including the trim around it) is 23.5" wide by 6 foot 6 long.

That's HUGE

The battle of Hoth, the hanger with the Falcon on Tatooine, and maybe a 1/72 scale cut-away Star Destroyer with a complete crew (and a squadron of Fine Molds Tie Fighters), then you will need a new house...LOL

Just joking of course. :)
The tiger group builds are awesome (really inspiring), and this can be an epic build also.

Latest posts

Back