Taping

While that may be, I like to stick with things that I know work every time. Tamiya products do this. They always work.

Just like their paints. The acryllic X and XF paint line just work. You can thin them with acrylic thinner, lacquer thinner, and even water. They just work.

There is a price to pay for things that always work like they should.
Great problem with Tamiya. It is paper & when they cut from a huge long roll the edges are not smooth.

Plastic tape, in general, have a better edge due to the material.

Best with Tamiya, which I do not use, is to cut an edge on the tape with a sharp Morton blade.
Also ensure it is not wetted to much in airbrushing as the paint will seep on the edge

Other major problem with Tamiya it does not go around corners.

That is why I am using NITTO white tape. No seepage good edge & it is superb for going around even very acute bends. Also has a superb release.

Laurie

While that may be, I like to stick with things that I know work every time. Tamiya products do this. They always work.

Just like their paints. The acryllic X and XF paint line just work. You can thin them with acrylic thinner, lacquer thinner, and even water. They just work.

There is a price to pay for things that always work like they should.
Not really. The problem with Tamiya colors aside that they airbrush great, is the limited line of colors.

For example, Tamiya Neutral Grey is a different shade compared to AK Interactive Real Color’s Neutral Grey, even Model Master Neutral Grey.

Try a bottle of AK Interactive Real Color paint. They’re acrylics and are very similar to Tamiya. They can be thinned using Tamiya thinner as well as lacquer thinner and even isopropyl thinner. Sure they may be a dollar more than Tamiya but then again, what’s a dollar more on an investment to try it gonna hurt?

Don’t be afraid to expand your horizon to try/experiment different acrylic paint brands. I think you will be pleasantly surprised on the wider ranges of colors compared to Tamiya colors.

I have a wide range of paint line in my paint stash from Testors Model Master (enamel and acrylics), Tamiya, AK Interactive Real Colors, Gunze/Mr. Color, Mission Models, Humbrol, Aeromaster, PollyScale, etc…

The key is experimenting on how to find that paint to thinner ratio spot on. It’s not rocket science.

Not really. The problem with Tamiya colors aside that they airbrush great, is the limited line of colors.

For example, Tamiya Neutral Grey is a different shade compared to AK Interactive Real Color’s Neutral Grey, even Model Master Neutral Grey.

Try a bottle of AK Interactive Real Color paint. They’re acrylics and are very similar to Tamiya. They can be thinned using Tamiya thinner as well as lacquer thinner and even isopropyl thinner. Sure they may be a dollar more than Tamiya but then again, what’s a dollar more on an investment to try it gonna hurt?

Don’t be afraid to expand your horizon to try/experiment different acrylic paint brands. I think you will be pleasantly surprised on the wider ranges of colors compared to Tamiya colors.

I have a wide range of paint line in my paint stash from Testors Model Master (enamel and acrylics), Tamiya, AK Interactive Real Colors, Gunze/Mr. Color, Mission Models, Humbrol, Aeromaster, PollyScale, etc…

The key is experimenting on how to find that paint to thinner ratio spot on. It’s not rocket science.
To busy building to go through all of that experimenting. My time is concentrated on build build.
Which really is model making.

I know what works for me & that I have a technique & procedure for that which I use time after time.

Colour dead easy to make your own straight in to the cup. Do it all the time. Most of the colours listed by the manufacturers are those pristine when they aircraft etc come out of the factory.

Bit of sunshine, lashed with rain in flight the wind the aircraft soon looses it's original colour within weeks. So I am never bitten by original colours.

Fascinated by the Falklands & the Harriers. None were the same colour. On Invincible they had a spray booth but even then the aircraft colours were a real mixture. Especially on Hermes where they hand painted.

Admiral Woodward could be seen often on Hermes with his Dulux & 5" brush. Painting his cabin a Harrier colour.

Latest posts

Back