Taping

TJBegin

Hello again modeling gurus:

Help me with this one. Trying to tape for spray paint color border. I’ve curved the tape ok-ish along the upper border but am stumped how to tape the lower part (the “V”). The only thing I can think of is to try and cut the tape (orange modeling tape) to fit the contour. That seems real iffy to me. Any expert advise &IMG_6710.jpeg

Help me with this one. Trying to tape for spray paint color border. I’ve curved the tape ok-ish along the upper border but am stumped how to tape the lower part (the “V”). The only thing I can think of is to try and cut the tape (orange modeling tape) to fit the contour. That seems real iffy to me. Any expert advise &View attachment 104785
Tape what you can and use liquid mask on the rest to get into the awkward area's. Pantherman

I have been using this tape https://www.monotaro.my/g/1000696843.html

Polyester. Stretches. See through enabling accurate laying down.

Comes in a good number of widths including as very thin type.

Great edge which does seal perfectly. Also detaches with out leaving any residue.

Yellow tapes generally paper. Slight fray on edges & paint can penetrate I have experience..

Laurie

In the future get some of this type of tape for curves .
Bottom of the page --- other companies make it , prob find it at an art supply store https://www.scalehobbyist.com/catag...3,4&pg=1&ppp=48&sb=stocknumber_a&so=d&man=TAM

Liquid mask , latex , peels right off like tape after it sets and it sets fast .
Use Vaseline to remove it from a brush , can take some time so just load the brush with vaseline for a bit and you can pull the latex out of the bristles .

I agree with Beluga above , looks like there is a lip you can trace after sticking on an oversize piece of tape .

I have been using this tape https://www.monotaro.my/g/1000696843.html

Polyester. Stretches. See through enabling accurate laying down.

Comes in a good number of widths including as very thin type.

Great edge which does seal perfectly. Also detaches with out leaving any residue.

Yellow tapes generally paper. Slight fray on edges & paint can penetrate I have experience..

Laurie
This looks like good stuff. It’s not too expensive ($9) but the shipping is $40! Pretty costly. Is there a less expensive alternative that you’re aware of?

This looks like good stuff. It’s not too expensive ($9) but the shipping is $40! Pretty costly. Is there a less expensive alternative that you’re aware of?
Well certainly did not pay that. Amazing some of these firms lower the price of the product & hope no one will see the postage to increase profits.

Be back with I hope where I purchased it IJ

Laurie.

Well certainly did not pay that. Amazing some of these firms lower the price of the product & hope no one will see the postage to increase profits.

Be back with I hope where I purchased it IJ

Laurie.
Sorry can only find the expensive places. Non in the UK.

But not to despair.

Masking, Mats, Knives & Tools

3M™ Fine Line Masking Tape Blue 6mm x 32.9 m Roll

£8.99 inc Vat

Use it a lot very good. Go to here https://www.everythingairbrush.com/product-category/masking-mats-knives/masking-tapes/.

Just go for that width type. I use an INFINI CUTTING boards which gives the opportunity of cutting tape widths, circles, shapes all of different sizes. But they seem to have sucomed to covid & are exxpensive.

Alternative. Place a strip of tape on your cutting board (clean dust etc,) & with a rule & Morton blade cut the width required. The new cut will give you a sharp edge as all tapes on the edges cut in manufacturing are rubbish.

Laurie

Hmmm….never used “liquid mask” before. How do you take it off?
Well try Mr Hobby.

I do not use much but when I have to found it very good.

Mr Hobby Mr Masking Sol R.

Turquoise so you can see where you are applying.

Plus has a brush in the lid & the bristles are always in the liquid. No cleaning.

Laurie

Help me with this one. Trying to tape for spray paint color border. I’ve curved the tape ok-ish along the upper border but am stumped how to tape the lower part (the “V”). The only thing I can think of is to try and cut the tape (orange modeling tape) to fit the contour. That seems real iffy to me. Any expert advise &View attachment 104785
Kapton tape. works great for many areas of modelling.

Amazon product ASIN B07RZYY2T1

Amazon product ASIN B07RZYY2T1

Blue painter tape is too thick for masking and a tad too tacky. My suggestion is find Frog brand yellow painter tape. They’re thinner and easier to cut with an Xacto blade and knife. Cheaper and more economical than Tamiya masking tape.

Walmart and any paint store sell them.

I sometime use Frog green painter tape on certain situations.

Slap a piece of tape on there that will cover the whole "V" plus some. Then take a new sharp Xacto blade and trim to shape.

Blue painters tape is too thick and sticky. Use a thinner, less tacky, hobby tape. Tamiya yellow tape is my go to for this.

Slap a piece of tape on there that will cover the whole "V" plus some. Then take a new sharp Xacto blade and trim to shape.

Blue painters tape is too thick and sticky. Use a thinner, less tacky, hobby tape. Tamiya yellow tape is my go to for this.
Frog yellow tape has the exact tackiness as Tamiya tape but thinner. A heck of a lot cheaper and more economical than Tamiya tape - $6 for a roll that’ll last 10 times longer than Tamiya masking tape replacement roll.
I use a glass 12” X 12” square to cut any strip of tape to whatever size and shape I need.

Frog yellow tape has the exact tackiness as Tamiya tape but thinner. A heck of a lot cheaper and more economical than Tamiya tape - $6 for a roll that’ll last 10 times longer than Tamiya masking tape replacement roll.
I use a glass 12” X 12” square to cut any strip of tape to whatever size and shape I need.
While that may be, I like to stick with things that I know work every time. Tamiya products do this. They always work.

Just like their paints. The acryllic X and XF paint line just work. You can thin them with acrylic thinner, lacquer thinner, and even water. They just work.

There is a price to pay for things that always work like they should.

Latest posts

Back