stripping enamel paint from a plastic model?

Fork Virus

Is there another way to strip enamel paint from plastic models kits besides using thinner? Cuz I have a blackhawk chopper with paint I don't like and crappy paint job at that too.

Go to your local Walmart and get yourself a bottle of Castrol Super Clean. In the automotive section, comes in a purple bottle. Get yourself a rubbermade container to hold the parts, pour in the Super Clean and soak. After a day or so, you should be able to take an old tooth brush and remove the paint that should be slagging off. This stuff works awesome and won't harm the plastic. Good idea to wear rubber gloves however as the Super Clean will liquify the dead skin cells on your hands, as well possibly eye protection. I usually don't, but it is a good idea.

Now saying that...don't let it scare you off....Super Clean is not bad if you do get some on your skin....not like it will burn and stuff....but always best to take precautions anyway!

Scott, I've wondered about the Castrol Super Clean myself. Wondering about the environmental issues. How do you dispose of the stuff, or do you keep it in the tup, filter and re-use? I supose it wouldnt be much worse than the Oven Cleaner method I use.

Another good product is called "Crud Cutter"
I picked it up at either Wal-Mart or Home Depot.

It's specifically marketed for removing graffiti, and I've had good luck with it in stripping problem paint.

Carsenault said:
Scott, I've wondered about the Castrol Super Clean myself. Wondering about the environmental issues. How do you dispose of the stuff, or do you keep it in the tup, filter and re-use? I supose it wouldnt be much worse than the Oven Cleaner method I use.

Strain it through a coffee filter to get out the paint particles back into the jug....can be used over and over.

Some people will actually buy 2 plastic containers....when done a stripping job (not that kind of stripping job, get your mind out of the gutter), pass it through a filter into the other container and it is ready for the next time. Can probably use it 5-6 times before having to use new stuff...depending on what it is you are stripping.

Thanx for recommendations on those two products. I'll go out and find them. I like to thank Carsenault for bring up the issue of disposal. ;)

Latest posts

Back