STEAM-PUNKin What was I thinking?

ModelMakerMike

"It's Slobberin' time""
:eek:
Hello everyone!!!!
I am not sure how many of you are aware of the Trend/fashion genre called "Steam Punk".
A good friend of mine have been fond of this type of stuff LONG before there was anything called "Steam punk".
Last Saturday, I was at his house, and someone, either his wife, him, or I blurted out "Steam-Punkin", and I said, yeah, we could go to Michael's crafts, and get a couple Fake pumpkins, and give 'em the Steam Punk treatment.
He and I ran off, and picked up some supplies. I got two pumpkins, the large one and one about half that size. We got a strobe light led set each, a couple packets of brads, one copper, and one silver.
This first picture shows the Jack-o-lantern with varies parts gathered around. I painted everything today, and hope to do more assembly, and detail painting tomorrow, or maybe the next day. ;D

SteamPunkin3.jpg

SteamPunkin2.jpg

Here you can see the chrome I painted on the inside, hopefully to reflect the light, and make it look brighter. Also, I have the Steam whistle set on the pipe on his right side.

SteamPunkin4.jpg

Close up on the whistle.

SteamPunkin7.jpg

The brass latch and hasp set up I bought at Home Depot Weds.?

SteamPunkin6.jpg

SteamPunkin5.jpg

Here is the Gauge I greebled together out of a Prescription bottle cap, and a piece of sheet styrene. I am going to paint the details on it, or maybe try and make a decal.

SteamPunkin11.jpg

Here is a brass hinge that I also picked up at Home Depot. It is fastened to the pumpkin with 4 of the Copper Brads from Michaels.

SteamPunkin13.jpg

Okay, a couple years ago, I picked up a few little stands from the dollar store. The were intended for Laser etched plastic cubes. I just bought the stands. :) They have three leds; yellow, red, blue. They slowly fade from one to the next. I cut off the stem, and carved a hole for it. I am going to glue a Prescription bottle on top of a Scotch tape reel, and glue that right over the hole so the light shines up through it, and then the conical "hat" goes on top of that.

SteamPunkin12.jpg

SteamPunkin14.jpg

Here you can see the insides of the LED thingy. It's mostly batteries. :) It is glued, and Duct taped into position. You can also see how I had to carve away some of the foam, so I could fold down the "wings" of the brads to keep them and the hinge in place. :)

SteamPunkin15.jpg

SteamPunkin16.jpg

Here is the strobe light thingy that will go inside the pumpkin to light the eyes/goggles, and mouth.

SteamPunkin1.jpg

Here is a kind of close up of the Prescription bottle, and one of the goggles. I took a cap from a bottle of tropicana orange juice, and carved the center out of it, and sanded/cut all the grooves out of it. You can see the outter cover I made for the goggles. I have some textured clear plastic that some garment bags came in at work, so I sprayed them with a Translucent red, and cut circles out of it for lenses for the goggles. The lens will fit between the juice cap, and the sheet styrene cover, then Brads will be put through the holes, and spread on the back to fasten the goggles together.

SteamPunkin9.jpg

Here's a close up of the Hat cap that I made for the chimney/prescription bottle that's going to light up. I took some of that clear plastic (which glue didn't want to work on) cut a circle, and then made a staright cut to the center of it. Slid a bit of it over the other edge, and put a silver Philips head brad through it, and fastened it! Then I glued that on top of another bottle cap.

SteamPunkin10.jpg

There's a lot of details I didn't cover, but the Grate over the mouth is just some extra styrene strips my friend gave to me a few years ago, and then I attached them to the Pumpkin with more of the copper brads.

;D
I am not sure if any of you would find this interesting or not, but I had to share what I have been working on.....and what's keeping me from the M.F. Build!!!!!!!! Darn my A.D.D. !!!! whats' that? a shiny object? SQUIRREL!!!!
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Better make sure that sucker is chained down, or it will disappear on Halloween night for sure.....

Texaslobo said:
Better make sure that sucker is chained down, or it will disappear on Halloween night for sure.....

Oh.... I am not letting him go outside un-attended.
He has a tendency NOT to play well with others.
;D

Now this is something you see every Day 
I like it a lot and I’m looking forward to see it finished.
Cheers
Lukasz

Thanx guys!
I too am looking forward to seeing him finished.
Hopefully I'll get to work on him tonight after work!
;D;D;D

Hey Guys,
thanx for all the really nice compliments and stuff. I truly appreciate it!!!!
I finally had some more time to work on him. A little yesterday, and some time tonight.
Yesterday, I glued the Cuff for the "light-tube" thingy, and then cut some shapes out of styrene strips, and welded them into place with Tamiya putty. I also glued the "feeder tube" to the side of the cuff. I whittled that out of some circular sprue from a Zoids kit. (I knew that stuff would come in handy one day!)
I also had some Miscellaneous bits which I attached to both ends, and it made it look like connectors.
I had been thinking about what metallic color scheme to go with a lot today at work. Either Iron or Copper, and I was leaning towards copper because it would be more Pumpkin like. :)
I asked the step-son what he thought, and he said copper. :)
I have a tube of "Ruby" Rub 'n' buff that I picked up at Michaels over a year ago.
So, I tried a little, and liked it. It took FOREVER!

CopperJack2.jpg

CopperJack1.jpg

CopperJack5.jpg

CopperJack3.jpg

CopperJack4.jpg

Oooooops, I accidentally hit the enter button too quickly. :/
Anywho. Following the instructions, I applied the rub 'n' buff with a finger, and spread it around. You can't apply too much at once because it can remove the other paint I already have down.
After it dries thoroughly, I can buff it with a soft cloth and get more of shine out of it. I am thinking I will only do that in a few spots. But we'll see.
Anyway, this is more progress, so I thought I'd share.
;D;D;D;D

Outstanding idea project. You are honoring the greatest Holiday of the year beautifully :eek:

WELL, fellow herders!!!!!!!
IT IS FINISHED!!!!!!!!!
I had a few late nights this last week, and did some final work on him today!
Yesterday, I found 2 flickering lights for jack-o-lanterns at Michaels, and fortunately, they fit perfectly on the insides of the goggles. :)
My friends donated the tiny Lock for the lid, and the cover for the Gauge. I designed the graphic for the gauge on my comp. w/Coreldraw.
There are too many details and "how I did stuff" to mention, but if you have any questions PLEASE feel free to ask. :)
I am just so excited to have something finished! Plus, I really him.
I posted some of the last batch of pix on facebook, and someone offered to buy him. I'll have to check into that. ;D;D;D;D Hope you all like my "COPPER-JACK"

CopperJack29.jpg

CopperJack28.jpg

CopperJack26.jpg

CopperJack25.jpg

CopperJack24.jpg

CopperJack22.jpg

CopperJack20.jpg

CopperJack19.jpg

CopperJack18.jpg

CopperJack16.jpg

CopperJack10.jpg

CopperJack12.jpg

CopperJack13.jpg

CopperJack17.jpg

CopperJack1-1.jpg

CopperJackchimney.jpg

Thanx Q,
I wish I had a way to take some video of him, and post it.
The lights in his "Chimney" changes from yellow to red to blue, and the lights in his goggles, and his insides strobe/flicker.
He's kinda fragile, but I think he looks pretty kewl, and I am quite pleased with him.
The Library in Longview, Wa. Is having a Steam-Punk evening, and I have been asked to put him on display along with some pieces from my long time friend!
Pretty excited!
;D;D;D;D;D;D

Congrats MIKE,

Let Us know how th Steam Punk Event turns out . Take some Pix ??

This Rox !! Great Job !

Latest posts

Back