Pin wash question

Yes. I use craft-store acrylics (Americana, Folk Art, Apple Barrel) or Vallejo Model Color black, and water. I don't have exact measurements; I eyeball it, but I'd say it's not more than 10:1 water to paint. Basically, I put some drops of water in a well on my ceramic palette, then pick up a little of the paint on a brush, and dip it just till the water turns opaque with the color. Very thin.

I use the same formula with other colors, too, because sometimes black is too dark for the piece I'm working on. Medium grey or a brown sometimes looks better, to my eye, over different colors.

Hope that helps!

Best regards,
Brad

Yes. I use craft-store acrylics (Americana, Folk Art, Apple Barrel) or Vallejo Model Color black, and water. I don't have exact measurements; I eyeball it, but I'd say it's not more than 10:1 water to paint. Basically, I put some drops of water in a well on my ceramic palette, then pick up a little of the paint on a brush, and dip it just till the water turns opaque with the color. Very thin.

I use the same formula with other colors, too, because sometimes black is too dark for the piece I'm working on. Medium grey or a brown sometimes looks better, to my eye, over different colors.

Hope that helps!

Best regards,
Brad
Thanks Brad, really appreciate the help. I will have a go.
A friend suggested humbrol thinner and oil paint but didn't actually have a proportion of the mix. Have you ever used or heard of this.
Pantherman

Sure thing, PM, hope it helps!

I've never used Humbrol products; growing up here in SE PA, they weren't generally available at the hobby shops I visited.

But I have also used mineral spirits and oils for making washes. I don't use that combination much anymore, because I just find water-based acrylics easier to use in this particular case.

But really, with a wash using mineral spirits, you just need to make sure that the color coats are protected as necessary, so the solvent won't attack them. For example, some would lay down a coat of a clear acrylic before applying the wash (even a pin wash), and seal the colors against the solvent. A clear acrylic coat can also help with flow, though with a pin wash, you don't want to clog up the fine detail where you want the wash to go.

Mineral spirits won't dissolve acrylic resin .
And If it did , how would clear acrylic protect pigmented acrylic ?

All good comments and just shows how every model maker has his or her variations. Me, I use oil and mineral spirits...always have. After painting my models with their base colors, I coat them with gloss varnish which I find helps with the application of decals and to protect the base color. I am not sure if this helps with any washes, but it is just what I do.

Phil

I use oil and good humbrol thinner and adjust the mix as I go. I also have some AK and Ammo premixed washes.

Good idea to gloss varnish and capillary action will help draw wash into and/or around detail.

Depending on base colour Black can be very stark, so consider brown shades.

Another thought with panel lines a nice Sharpe HB pencil can make things stand out. Works best on Matt finish and go gently.

John

Thanks Brad, really appreciate the help. I will have a go.
A friend suggested humbrol thinner and oil paint but didn't actually have a proportion of the mix. Have you ever used or heard of this.
Pantherman
The good old Flory Clay based weathering liquids can be very nice and forgiving. Cock ups washed away with water, but the must be varnished in nice gentle coats to make permanent.

John

Hi, does anyone have a "recipe" for a black pin wash / panel liner?
Pantherman
As a thought if you go to the Ammo of Mig site, look for Weathering Magazine Specials Downloads and there is a FREE sample mag, with full articles from the full expensive magazine, that demonstrates his techniques.

Search in Web browser thus: Ammo of Mig Downloads. Click on link that results and download away. Magazine sample, Brochures, Step by step projects, ALL FREE!

John

As a thought if you go to the Ammo of Mig site, look for Weathering Magazine Specials Downloads and there is a FREE sample mag, with full articles from the full expensive magazine, that demonstrates his techniques.

Search in Web browser thus: Ammo of Mig Downloads. Click on link that results and download away. Magazine sample, Brochures, Step by step projects, ALL FREE!

John
Here's the way ahead.
https://www.migjimenez.com/en/content/7-downloads-ammo-of-mig-jimenez

Pinky,
We managed to have a reasonably nice Christmas although quiet as we visited our Son and his wife and our two granddaughters 18 and 19 and sadly as it spent much of the time bawling, met our 1st great-grandchild, a wee girl called Aurora. Disappointed a bit as contraception nowadays hardly entails a visit to the barber or buying 20 tubes of Toothpaste as the chemist's only had women. Plus there are so many different choices for both. I still remember Aids and as a reservist/TA going on exercise to Germany having a briefing as a group with the Padre about health matters and being advised to take some clingfilm, not to cover your sandwiches, but in event of meeting a lady, taking off the clothes, before getting between the thighs and having a chat. They make things called 'Damms' now.

No to adding to my stash as it is well beyond my lifetime I suspect. Plus when I see kits that I bought some years ago at full price, under £30, now on the shop shelves at around £70+. Well............ I looked at the 1/48th Airfix New Bucaneer and the Tamiya F35 and the prices......... I just looked.

I still invest in figure type sets and some resin things as I need them. I got some nice DVDs, Scottish Nectar and some bits and bobs that are welcome.

Did you download the Mig bits the best of the Weathering Magazine might give some inspiration.

Have fun,
John

Pinky,
We managed to have a reasonably nice Christmas although quiet as we visited our Son and his wife and our two granddaughters 18 and 19 and sadly as it spent much of the time bawling, met our 1st great-grandchild, a wee girl called Aurora. Disappointed a bit as contraception nowadays hardly entails a visit to the barber or buying 20 tubes of Toothpaste as the chemist's only had women. Plus there are so many different choices for both. I still remember Aids and as a reservist/TA going on exercise to Germany having a briefing as a group with the Padre about health matters and being advised to take some clingfilm, not to cover your sandwiches, but in event of meeting a lady, taking off the clothes, before getting between the thighs and having a chat. They make things called 'Damms' now.

No to adding to my stash as it is well beyond my lifetime I suspect. Plus when I see kits that I bought some years ago at full price, under £30, now on the shop shelves at around £70+. Well............ I looked at the 1/48th Airfix New Bucaneer and the Tamiya F35 and the prices......... I just looked.

I still invest in figure type sets and some resin things as I need them. I got some nice DVDs, Scottish Nectar and some bits and bobs that are welcome.

Did you download the Mig bits the best of the Weathering Magazine might give some inspiration.

Have fun,
John
That's more like my old sparing buddy, Pinky is a new one!
I have looked and signed up to the site but I just need to create some new file's to download the wealth of information you guided me to, many thanks.
I know what you mean about the cost of stuff. I recently done a bit of a stock check just on my little paint rack and added up what I spent, bloody good job I was sitting down as around £250! Still, it should last a fair while.
Take care gramps!!

Pantherman

Attachments

• 20230107_230339.jpg
    20230107_230339.jpg
    427.6 KB · Views: 6
Pantherman;
Sepia's I find give better results than black. As others have said, blacks can be quite stark, and dirt is the general colour, even with oil leaks and such they gum up with dirt and grit. Hope that helps. I know I got here late.

Pantherman;
Sepia's I find give better results than black. As others have said, blacks can be quite stark, and dirt is the general colour, even with oil leaks and such they gum up with dirt and grit. Hope that helps. I know I got here late.
You are spot on Sepia is my go to Brown, for lots of pinwash, and colour filter effects. Thanks for adding as although I was thinking Sepia, I must have had my television head on.

John

That's more like my old sparing buddy, Pinky is a new one!
I have looked and signed up to the site but I just need to create some new file's to download the wealth of information you guided me to, many thanks.
I know what you mean about the cost of stuff. I recently done a bit of a stock check just on my little paint rack and added up what I spent, bloody good job I was sitting down as around £250! Still, it should last a fair while.
Take care gramps!!

Pantherman
What kind of ballyhoo is this? Do I see a bottle out of alignment?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230718_194750_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230718_194750_Gallery.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 5
girl-screaming.gif

What kind of ballyhoo is this? Do I see a bottle out of alignment?
Early day's before I got OCD about my man cave. How time flies and money flies even faster. Hate to think what it all adds up to now. Pantherman

Attachments

• 20230601_060152.jpg
    20230601_060152.jpg
    296.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230601_060115.jpg
    20230601_060115.jpg
    363.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230601_060102.jpg
    20230601_060102.jpg
    315.5 KB · Views: 4

Hope that helps!

Best regards,
Brad
I will try this! I have always used Tamiya panel liner but struggled some times.

Latest posts

Back