Pin wash question

I use Panel Line Accent Color by Tamiya.

They produce a number of colours.

Nicely provided with a very fine tip brush in the lid.

Paint it on. (with varnish over the matt paint).

It will spread a little. Not to worry. Let it dry then remove unwanted
using white spirit with a cotton bud. It is very fine a leaves a good clean panel line.

So the other thing I I do instead of panel liner or pin wash is use some of this Flory models weathering wash. apply it along the panel lines, and then wipe off with a dry or slightly damp q-tip. The panel lines on this Viper are like canyons compared to the Tamiya zero. which is why they are so different.

IMG_3665.jpeg

IMG_3667.jpeg

IMG_3666.jpeg

So the other thing I I do instead of panel liner or pin wash is use some of this Flory models weathering wash. apply it along the panel lines, and then wipe off with a dry or slightly damp q-tip. The panel lines on this Viper are like canyons compared to the Tamiya zero. which is why they are so different.

View attachment 103016

View attachment 103017

View attachment 103018
ohbejuan Yes you can. Providing the dustman has not been for a number of years you can have my Flory washes in the bottom of my bin.

Being water based it is once dry difficult to remove in a smart way as you can with the Tamiya Panel Line.

ohbejuan What I have done with oversize panel lines is to use a grey. Tamiya grey in place of the black panel line paint. The do a couple of greys.

Not so prominent much less impact.

Laurie

Some great tips here guys, I'll chip in if I may. I use Artist's Low Odour Oil Paint Thinner from either Winsor & Newton or Daler & Rowney mixed with cheap quality oil paints, no exact ratio as I just mix it as thick or thin as I need it. The main benefits are that it is slower to evaporate and it doesn't stink the house out.

ohbejuan What I have done with oversize panel lines is to use a grey. Tamiya grey in place of the black panel line paint. The do a couple of greys.

Not so prominent much less impact.

Laurie
I just got good advice from the owner of my local model shop. If properly cured this Tamiya pin wash can go right on acrylic, rather than on top of a coat of AK Gauzy Agent. "Stop trying to compress time John" he said to me. I tried putting it right on the acrylic paint and was pretty happy. I used Mona Lisa odorless enamel thinner form the Michael's for clean up.

I just got good advice from the owner of my local model shop. If properly cured this Tamiya pin wash can go right on acrylic, rather than on top of a coat of AK Gauzy Agent. "Stop trying to compress time John" he said to me. I tried putting it right on the acrylic paint and was pretty happy. I used Mona Lisa odorless enamel thinner form the Michael's for clean up.
Takes little time to varnish & makes Tamiya Panel Lining use much easier. Just, for instance on a long panel , just touch one end with the brush & capillary action will run the ink to the other end. Very little cleaning up.

Found recently this novel way of using panel liner.

Not for getting that the product comes in black grey & brown.

Laurie

Latest posts

Back