Starter paint set recommendation?

Ian

Since I'm starting from scratch (see this thread), I'm wondering if a paint set is a good way to begin collecting.
I like the look of the Vallejo sets but there are a lot to choose from.

Modeling will be sci-fi and military mostly.

Any recommendations?

Can't beat the value with Vallejo, ive been eyeing up their 72 color model air set and model color set

i bought the military set when i got mine, but i prefer Tamiya for spraying as its an easier paint to thin.

Guess I'll maybe get a small Vallejo set and some individual Tamiya based on the kits I'm buying. Thanks for the help guys.

I only have 1 and its German Grey and it works really well., and as Scott said Vallejo and Tamiya :)

Vallejo Model Air works very well, simple drop in your airbrush and go.

As well with the new re-formulated Vallejo Thinner, it is now much easier to thin the Model Color line as well, 2 parts thinner, 1 part paint, stir and spray.

As far as the sets go, Vallejo makes 8, 16 and 72 color sets. I personally don't find the sets that economical, as the paint works out to about the same price as buying the bottles individually for the most part, and you usually get at least one color or 2 that you might never use. I usually advise people to just buy the colors they want, vs buying the sets. That is of course unless you buy the 72 color packs, which come with a nice carrying case, and usually 2-3 Toray brushes. Still costs about the same as buying the paint separately, but you get a nice case and some brushes for the same price as well.

The case can be purchased separately, and is very handy, but if you can swing it...the 72 color cases are probably the best deal, and they have 2-3 different sets, I think 2 in the Model Color line and one in the Model Air line.

Super, many thanks for that detailed breakdown.

I looked through the few small kits I'm starting with and decided on a bunch of the Tamiya paints to begin. That's what I used previously and the pricing was petty good for individual bottles. I'm sure some Vallejo bottles are in my future though.

That's what I'm doing as well Ian. My airbrush is going to be delivered tomorrow but I'm going to use some food coloring or ink to start off till I get the airbrush control and technique down a bit. Then I'm going to get the basic colors of each Vallejo Model Air and Tamiya. See which one I like the best and take it from there. Vallejo I believe makes a 92 bottle set as well. Ive seen that on evilbay previously in my searches. I've found bottles of Vallejo Model Air for $2.39 the cheapest and Tamiya 23ml bottles for $2.28 so its pretty much the same price for the two best paints on the market. Suposedely you don't have to think Badger Model Flex paint either so I'm eventually going to try some Badger paint out as well as I like to stay partial and bias to Badger when I can for the simple fact of support and sponsorship they give the SMA website. Ive played with testors a bit recently so already know what that paints like and as of right now of course is what I use because it is what I have. If you can find the paints somewhere cheaper, please relay the info to us so we can all utilize the cheaper prices ha ha.

Before you go and buy a bunch of paint, buy a few bottles and test it on a model first. You may find that you like one companies certain shades, another company for modern shades, metallics, clears, etc. I have a bunch of different brands of paints and each has its role.

PharmPony said:
Before you go and buy a bunch of paint, buy a few bottles and test it on a model first. You may find that you like one companies certain shades, another company for modern shades, metallics, clears, etc. I have a bunch of different brands of paints and each has its role.

^^ X2

For airbrushing I use Tamiya acrylic paint and Tamiya X-20A thinner 90% of the time. About a 50/50 mixing ratio. For me, nothing works as well through the airbrush. This stuff can be fussy to brush paint with though. Trick is to still thin the paint (maybe 25-33% thinner) and keep the brush clean, wet with thinner between strokes and don't "re-brush" the same area. Takes some practice to get the brush painting technique down but as PharmPony said^^^.

Enjoy putting your arsenal together...Definitely part of the fun!!

Is it safe to mix match paints like that on the same kit ? I found through reading on various sites that its not reccomended to mix paint brands like that ? I guess its kinda like a sales pitch trying to sell you their paint ha ha. I mean styrene is styrene so what should it matter what brand of paint ya put on it when we know the brands of paint that are specifically for modeling ?

You don't want to mix paints from various manufacturers, but you can apply multiple coats of paint, each of which is from a different manufacturer. You want to wait till the bottom coat is fully cured till you paint another coat on top of it. The general rule is to apply lacquers first, enamels next, and then acrylics on top. If you switch the order around you may find the paint you are applying is dissolving the coat below it.

when i brush tamiya paints i mix some Vallejo retarder medium 597 into the mix and this stops the tamiya drying out to quick

hooterville75 said:
Is it safe to mix match paints like that on the same kit ? I found through reading on various sites that its not reccomended to mix paint brands like that ? I guess its kinda like a sales pitch trying to sell you their paint ha ha. I mean styrene is styrene so what should it matter what brand of paint ya put on it when we know the brands of paint that are specifically for modeling ?

Physically mixing 2 brands of paint together to custom make a color...no, don't do that.

But if you say use a Tamiya base coat, and Vallejo for say camo colors....then there is nothing wrong with that, as long as you let each layer cure before putting on the next.....notice I said "Cure" and not just dry. Most acrylics are dry to the touch in 10-15mins, but will generally take 24hrs to fully cure.

As far as different types of paint, lacquer, enamel and acrylic on the same kit, you probably should avoid it, however, as long as the bottom layer of paint is fully cured (there is that word again), then it really doesn't matter what you put over it.

How long does paint take to cure....well like I said, most acrylics is 24hrs (some maybe 48hrs), pretty much the same for lacquers, 24hrs or so. Enamels....that is where it gets tricky....some will be cured in a couple of days, some may take weeks, or even months to fully cure.

I have used lacquers over enamels, over acrylics and any combination there of.....as long as the previous layer is fully "CURED", then you should have no problems, but if you can help it, save you the headache of it to just try and avoid mixing types of paint on a kit.

spud said:
when i brush tamiya paints i mix some Vallejo retarder medium 597 into the mix and this stops the tamiya drying out to quick

Yeah, using the retarder is probably the exception to the rule.

I certainly wouldn't take Tamiya Black, and add Vallejo White to it to lighten it up, or visa versa, but using the retarder would be ok, as it wouldn't be the same as using an actual paint.

Most acrylic paint retarders and flow-aids contain about the same chemicals and can be used with various paints, but make sure to test it first. I had issues mixing one of the Liquitex mediums with Gunze Aqueous paint which caused it to stay tacky.

fumblethumbs said:
For airbrushing I use Tamiya acrylic paint and Tamiya X-20A thinner 90% of the time. About a 50/50 mixing ratio. For me, nothing works as well through the airbrush. This stuff can be fussy to brush paint with though. Trick is to still thin the paint (maybe 25-33% thinner) and keep the brush clean, wet with thinner between strokes and don't "re-brush" the same area. Takes some practice to get the brush painting technique down but as PharmPony said^^^.

Enjoy putting your arsenal together...Definitely part of the fun!!

@fumblethumbs - very helpful, thank you.

Latest posts

Back