Plastic Model Paint

TJBegin

Hello again, modeling gurus:

Here’s my next question - I use both enamel and acrylic paints because I have not found one where all colors cover well. I have Testors (of course) enamel but also Vallejo and Tamiya acrylics. Every brand has colors that always cover well and others that don’t. Is there a brand where ALL colors cover plastic models well (yes, I wash the trees with soap & water before I begin).

You don't need to wash the plastic .
No form release is used in injection molding .

Do you use a primer ?
What do you meaning by " covers well " ?

Primer: always on larger parts (auto body, chassis, interior shell) hardly ever on small parts. By covering well I mean one coat thoroughly covers the parts (no shadows) and can cover margin areas where the adjacent paint color have bled.

Yes always prime to get a good colour depth. Prime coats are very matt.
The plastic has a grin which is not matt.

I use Tamiya XF but applies to all types. Often mist coat then 15 mins or so apply a good coat.
But not had any problems

If the final coat is gloss then I would apply a matt very near to the gloss colour first.

I WAS the one that used to insist on one coat when spray painting but I have since changed my ways. Sounds like a mist coating of primer on all parts while still on the trees might be helpful? I’ll try that and hope I don’t lose fine detail so I can still detail paint (eg, trim) the pieces. As always, thanks for your advise, gurus.

I wouldn't paint parts on the sprue .
Too difficult to avoid paint on the surfaces to be solvent welded .
Plus , glue will damage the paint .
Plus you still gotta clean the part of it's gate , where it connects to the sprue , and any other flash etc

I think Laurie was talking about misting down his first color coat , not the primer

I WAS the one that used to insist on one coat when spray painting but I have since changed my ways. Sounds like a mist coating of primer on all parts while still on the trees might be helpful? I’ll try that and hope I don’t lose fine detail so I can still detail paint (eg, trim) the pieces. As always, thanks for your advise, gurus.
No, do not paint or prime on the sprue. You will have to remove some primer to cement parts together. Plus were you cement parts together you will still have to prime any way.

Plus where you remove primer a lot of sanding to smooth.

Laurie

I wouldn't paint parts on the sprue .
Too difficult to avoid paint on the surfaces to be solvent welded .
Plus , glue will damage the paint .
Plus you still gotta clean the part of it's gate , where it connects to the sprue , and any other flash etc

I think Laurie was talking about misting down his first color coat , not the primer
Correct urumomo. Should be mist coat colour coat not primer

Laurie

Got it. And I learned two new terms: ”sprue” (what I called the tree) and “gate” where the part attaches to the sprue. So, one more terminology question: what do you call the (my term) “chaf” when the plastic leaks out of the mold and leaves little thin ‘wings’ on some parts.

Ejector pin marks and short shots, don' t forget ejector pin marks and short shots!

Rob.

200.gif

Latest posts

Back