Star Wars TX-225 Tank Complete + FULL BUILD VIDEO

It's really fun to watch you work. There are so many times I think you're done but you have something else to do and it is a net improvement. I've watched this through twice.

I am really curious about how the model was manufactured. From what little I know about injection mold making (learned back in '79) it would be impossible for the the hull of the model to be hollow. But I can't imagine them casting it solid. Is it hollow? I can kind of think of a way using air pressure that it could be. They did not do that back then this would be a technique that was developed later. In fact a lot of progress has been made since the late '70's in injection mold making since then to bring down the cost best I can tell. Given the price of stuff that would have been relatively short runs back then.

It's really fun to watch you work. There are so many times I think you're done but you have something else to do and it is a net improvement. I've watched this through twice.

I am really curious about how the model was manufactured. From what little I know about injection mold making (learned back in '79) it would be impossible for the the hull of the model to be hollow. But I can't imagine them casting it solid. Is it hollow? I can kind of think of a way using air pressure that it could be. They did not do that back then this would be a technique that was developed later. In fact a lot of progress has been made since the late '70's in injection mold making since then to bring down the cost best I can tell. Given the price of stuff that would have been relatively short runs back then.
Hi Lance,

Thank you for your kind words, great to hear you enjoyed it!

I'm not sure 100%, but I think it is hollow. What I can say for sure is that the level of detail is impressive for what is "just" a wargaming model.

Thanks, You would know just by the weight if it was hollow. So the only thing I can figure is they use air pressure to push plastic against the walls of the mold internally. I'd really like to know for sure though. Think about how most of the models you encounter have at least two halves that have to be glued together.

I forgot to mention I was particularly taken by your method of using the liquid mask to do the chipping. That is very clever.

Thanks, You would know just by the weight if it was hollow. So the only thing I can figure is they use air pressure to push plastic against the walls of the mold internally. I'd really like to know for sure though. Think about how most of the models you encounter have at least two halves that have to be glued together.

I forgot to mention I was particularly taken by your method of using the liquid mask to do the chipping. That is very clever.

I think it is two halves, yeah, upper and lower, but it's done very cleverly - the seams are pretty much invisible, and the whole thing has zero mold lines, which is what I liked best. I hate having to waste hours going over them.

As for the liquid mask, thank you! :)

Latest posts

Back