Spray booths

Cave_Dweller

Hey guys, before the BSC starts I'd like to build a spray booth, as I've been using a cardboard box up to this point to catch my overspray and paint dust and I'd like something nicer, and also one that could vent fumes outside (especially for paints like Alclad).

My desk is set up right by a window, which I could open and place a duct in.

I've seen many designs and some complex discussions online about this on other sites devoted to modeling. I was hoping to get some wisdom from you guys. What has worked, and what hasn't?

What sort of fans have you found that worked well, and should I go for down draft or back draft? This could get quite complex from some of the designs I've seen...but it seems like something that will be useful if not essential.

Thanks!

Here is mine I built about 6yrs ago

http://public.fotki.com/ScottM/models/paint-booth/

1/2" MDF, 110cfm bathroom fan. Work surface is pegboard, with a 20"X16" furnace filter between it and the fan.

If I had to do it again, I would probably go for the same size, only change I would make is to build in lights, and build a set of doors I could close to keep dust out and heat from the lights in to help with the drying of the paint.

That's a hell of a setup! Very nice.

Not having any done any kind of electrical wiring, was it hard to set up that fan?

Also, any issues with connecting the switch to the electrical cord used to power the fan. Great set up.

No issues at all, switch on the front is a household light switch, the power cord I just used a computer power cord, and took the power receptacle out of an old computer and wired the fan/switch to, so if I ever have to move it I don't have any cords dangling down as I can just unplug the power cord.

The fan exhaust is vented out the back, with a dryer hose going to a window to exhaust the fumes from the booth.

Basic electrical wiring is all it takes really, and the fan should actually come with some basic instructions.

Latest posts

Back