DIY Spray Booth Ventilation Concerns

RickyE

I have been watching various videos on YouTube regarding DIY spray booths. I have done some research about the fans people are using and I must say I have some concern. I for one do not have the funds to purchase the expensive items you really need. I have purchased a 58 quart clear plastic container to be used as my spray booth. However, I am confused about what type of ventilation fan to use. I have looked into using the bathroom vent fans you get from hardware stores. What my concern is, blowing myself up. I am not sure what to get for my spray booth project but I know I cannot afford to get the explosion proof fans. Can anyone help me please?

Really depends on the paint you are spraying.

99% of the people that blow them selves up are using a spray can, and it is usually the propellant that is igniting and not the paint.

Having said that, I have used the odd spray can through my booth (110cfm bathroom fan for ventilation) and have had no ill effect. However 95% of what I do spray is acrylic, through the airbrush, and again no ill effects.

9 time out of 10, those that blew themselves up, were probably doing something they shouldn't have been, and a bathroom fan is just fine.

Also, take a look at HVAC fans, most of them have the motor out of the airstream, and are about the same price as a bathroom fan.

As mentioned its gonna be a flamable gas thats most likley to cause a fire.
Bathroom fans are designed to work in wet enviroments, range hoods are the same so the electrics are generally well isolated.
Keep away from computer/desk fans as they are not as insulated.

Thanks everyone...Well I ended up at HomeDepot...lol..I purchased a few items including a Nutone basic bathroom ventilation fan, 50 CFM. I also bought some "L" shaped brackets and mounted it on the back of my 50 quart clear plastic container. For a filter, I bought a blue fiberglass air filter. I cut the filter to make it just a little bit bigger than the hole I cut in the container. I then placed the filter between the hole and the grill system for the fan. I spliced some wires and connected it to the wires on the fan and connected a plug. Plugged it up and it worked great. I placed a piece of paper near the grill while it was running and it sucked the paper and held it in place indicating I have good suction. I still have some work to do to make it complete. I am unable to to use a caulk or sealant to seal the sides of the fan system, but I am going to buy man's favorite useful tool.."Duck Tape"...LOL..I have tried to post pictures of it on here from a camera and a cell phone, but it keeps telling me that the size is too large. I wanted to show off my first spray booth. Once I figure out how to resize the pictures I will get them posted.

Goto Photobucket and get an account. Upload all your photos to photobucket, goto the photo you want to post click on the IMG code to copy the link, post here on the forum and your set. No resizing needed. It changes the photo to a image and your good to go. Best thing I ever did for photos :D

Well here is my spray booth I built. I hope it works out well for me.

6F1EF4D1-4AD6-4CEF-82A2-21F4D7958B24-3440-000004867F5E6403_zpsd669ff48.jpg

857435A5-C0F4-4891-9835-5200498342BB-3452-00000486C663B791_zps20ea4173.jpg

3544D5C8-9FAA-4023-88DE-11E76E50CDA5-3452-0000048749625DA6_zps4ac8b25e.jpg

A3871C4E-5263-4785-8B41-0559ABD43271-3452-00000487CCA873EE_zps5df3e226.jpg

Latest posts

Back