Solander's "The First Mission"

Well Sol,
looks like you're at it again.
This will be really kewl.
The contest this year is very intimidating. :(

Solander said:
@Grendels, yes, buddy, the dio cat is really strong this year. It was very strong last year as well, but definetely less in number of builds included. I think that it is also much a result of this year's rules for the terain and the only way to include what was once for the figure cat. If my opinion is of any value, I think that is cool.
I've always loved dioramas, even before becoming scale modeling addicted, so the more of them - the better ;D

Yeah with the new rules there is sure a mixture in the Dio category. I expected Armor to show, and maybe a car or two, but we have planes and ships and a lot of other such things. Defiantly a hard category.

Speaking of making things hard for others, good work on this one, and I agree with a few of the comments. Leave the skull. George Lucas would have left it there.....

Cheers, gentlemen!
I'm very glad you're enjoying this build. :)

P.S: and by the votes of the majority, the skull stays in game ;) ;)

Thanks, guys!
Couldn't get enough time for some modeling for the past 2 days, but I've dig some on tomorrow evening, hope to spend it all at the workbench and prepare something for an update ;)

Sol, the base is coming along very nicely,

really like all the detail work your putting into it,

keep up the great work buddy

cheers,

shane

Hey Solander :)
This thing is wicked and the base is just superb :)
Can't wait to see this one done as it will be an eye catcher.
Cheers
Lukasz

Thank you, longlance67 and Biskup!

Unfortunately, I've slowed down a lot on this - lots and lots of distracting factors :(
However, I do really hope that in about 10 more days everything will be back to normal, and I'll come closer to the completion of the dio.

Because of the same reason, please, excuse me everyone for the lack of comments posting on your entries topics. I nevertheless try my best to keep them all tracked for the updates, and all of them till the very last one are absolutely awesome I'd say ;)

Thankfully, I've manage to devote the last two days to the modeling completely, trying to gain back the lost hours spent away from the bench.

I did make all the paintjob on the tank (which is a layer of silver after priming, then Future and then about 6 or 7 else layers of paint - the preshading, the simulation of the vehicle's priming, and different shades of brown, green, sand-yellow and other tones, as from what the studio pictures seem to show, the actual color of this tank is impossible to name for sure))) I have also complete the paintjob on the base as well, with several layers starting from flat black and proceeding with more and more light mixes of sand, carmine red, flat earth and light-orange to give the terrain a sence of depth. The border for the dio has been also made.
Finally, I've done the first stage of chipping on the vehicle (a promised video-tutorial is included). Next step - various fading, applying filters and washes and all that stuff to the tank and all the elements of the diorama.

Silver Primer Chipping Technique [part 1]

How come i've never seen your videos before Sol, that was great buddy

You should do one every week dude, i will definately be using your technique my friend ;D

Also excellent progress on this build, weathering is definately not my speciality so it will be realy helpful to be able to follow a master like you, that chipping is so realistic :eek: just fantastic mate ;D

Great stuff dude ;D

Gag

It's looking really good.
Like your video on the paint chipping.
Where is part 2? Maybe you haven't filmed that one yet, eh?
This whole project is looking really cool, and makes me anxious to see it all complete.
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I so want to watch this video, but won't have time for a week!

I am sure it is a good one. Keep us posted!

Dude seriously this is stunning! Great vid by the way, have you ever tried using the AK Interactive chipping fluid? You use it basically the same way you do but it may be slightly quicker? (all though you seem to have it nailed and by the looks of things you have slightly more control over the chips with just a cocktail stick than if you were to use the fluid with a brush).

Thank You very much, guys!

The Nylon Gag said:
How come i've never seen your videos before Sol, that was great buddy

You should do one every week dude, i will definately be using your technique my friend ;D

Also excellent progress on this build, weathering is definately not my speciality so it will be realy helpful to be able to follow a master like you, that chipping is so realistic :eek: just fantastic mate ;D

Great stuff dude ;D

Gag

Thanks, Gag, dude :) I will try my best to make more video tutorials like this one, and maybe even achieve weekly updating. However, I'll need a bit more practice to combine filming the tutorials with no harm to actual model building in the snce of the time I'm able to devote to that.

ModelMakerMike said:
It's looking really good.
Like your video on the paint chipping.
Where is part 2? Maybe you haven't filmed that one yet, eh?
This whole project is looking really cool, and makes me anxious to see it all complete.
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Thank You, Mike!
Yep, right You are, the part 2 is yet in production :) Filmed already by now, but still have to make the montage, so it will be released just a bit later (a couple of days maximum I hope). Stay tuned ;)

Grendels said:
I so want to watch this video, but won't have time for a week!

I am sure it is a good one. Keep us posted!

Hang on buddy! I'm working as a personal tutor myself, holding only a one pupil right now - he is living close to my institute, so it is an easy time-spending with an ability to gain some extra cash (and the guy made from a 3-mark in maths to a desire of following my steps in experimental physics which is a pleasant feedback as well). But back from the times I have been on the first courses and have been starting tutoring, I remember what is that a rush among abiturients in the months before the acceptational exams in colleges.

And I'll try to make more vids, for You to have some pleasant watch during the well-deserved rest ;) ;)

merseajohn said:
Dude seriously this is stunning! Great vid by the way, have you ever tried using the AK Interactive chipping fluid? You use it basically the same way you do but it may be slightly quicker? (all though you seem to have it nailed and by the looks of things you have slightly more control over the chips with just a cocktail stick than if you were to use the fluid with a brush).

Thanks, buddy! :)
Haven't seen the AK Interactive chipping fluid You're talking about, but haven't actually asked about one yet. Now, will certainly ask for one in the hobby-shop, and when I get it I will give it a try by all means, to post a verdict, hardened by experience ;)

Igard said:
Chipping looks awesome! The vid is very informative. Great job, Sol. :)

Igard, thank You, my friend! I'm glad You've enjoyed the tutorial.

I really do hope, that you, guys, would find this technique-video of a use.
In the next one, which I'm preparing right now, I'll show you how to make and deal with acrylic filters.
Stay tuned ;)

Latest posts

Back