Solander's "The First Mission"

Solander

Hello everyone!
I have finally returned home, and ready to jump with the head into the Big Spring Contest!!

My entry is going to be a diorama I will call "The First Mission".

A short back-story:

The Clone Wars have begun, with the battle on Geonosis tearing apart the ages of peace and prosper of the Republic.
Among the clone-warriors of the newly formed Grand Army of the Republic, Captain CC-2224, specially genetically-engineered to command clone forces, is preparing to rush into his first fight.
However, his dropship has been shoot down shortly after leaving the dock of the mothership.
The soldier who is yet only to be once called Commander Cody and serve under the command of Jedi-General Kenobi, finds himself and only the two other clone-troopers who had survived the crash cut from the main forces of the Republic.
Trying to reunite with his comrades, he encounters the outnumbering enemy forces - a column of Corporate Alliance Droid-tanks right from the production line and hurrying to join the army of separatists. Such force can heavilly influence the battle and tear victory from the Republic right into the hands of the Confederation.
Now, the only way for Cody and his subordinates to help the Clone Army is to create a diversion, blasting the long bridge over a canyon the tanks are passing, maybe even with the price of their own lives.
The last tank is on the bridge already. Clocks are ticking.

Alright, now, when the idea is written, let me show what did I prepare for it's realization.
First of all it is the model of the Corporate Alliance Droid Tank by AMT/Ertl - one of the last Star Wars kits they have produced right after the release of the Revenge of the Sith. It is often considered as 1/48 scale, but it is a bit oversised for that, so I'll call this dio I'm making to be about 1/32-1/35.
Here is the proof picture with the unstarted kit:

Besides the tank I also have the following:
-a Chain Desert Base by Kotobukiya

This was initially created to demonstrate various Gundam Mechs in their natural enviroment, but it will also serve my need perfectly.
I've got the figures for the diorama too. They are the several clone troopers and a super battle droid from the Hasbro's series of "Unleashed" minifigures, including the main character - Commander Cody in the MkI armor as he had been seen in the early series of the Clone Wars cartoon as well.

My plans are to make a part of a bridge rising from the base shown. The tank would be moving onto the bridge, and the clones are going to be placed hiding under it and preparing a demolition.

Being away from the workbench for longer than a month, I've missed modeling quite a lot, so took a fast start.
I began with the model of a tank.
First, I've taken all the kit parts off the sprues, cleaned them and dry-fitted the model, to see what will require some work.

The kit is very nice overall, with perfect alignment of parts and a smart engineering, which led to absolutely no seams.
However, it's weak point is the inside machinery. The tank is designed so that all the insides can be seen from the outside -all those wheels and gears moving the central track, which I think is pretty cool. However, AMT did not do a great job with filling the kits inside with enough guts - only a pair of gears. Plus absolutely hollow wheels do make the kit look incomplete and toyish - it is very well seen that it is hollow. To bring that to justice, I've added some stuff to the inside structure.

I've also built all the other parts into the easy to paint subassemblies, adding extra detail here and there to reach a proper level of detalisation.

All the parts have been primed by now, and are currently drying - should be ready for the paint pretty soon! :)

Hope You'd enjoy all this initiative, guys. Comments are extremely welcome as allways ;)

I was wondering when you would show us your entry! The Dio category just got a whole lot harder.....

Thanks, guys, I'll try to match your expectations :)
And Grendels, this was my first thought as well when I saw your Mercury 9 ;)

This kit looks really fun and I like what you’re doing with it :) Looking forward for more.

This looks really cool Sol. Can't wait to see what you do. Should be awesome.

And man you've got so much done already. Good to have you back Sol. 8)

If your last build was anything to go by, Boy we are in for a treat ;D

Your detailing is excellent as alwas Sol

Great start

'Bookmarked'

Gag

Solander said:
Thanks, guys, I'll try to match your expectations :)
And Grendels, this was my first thought as well when I saw your Mercury 9 ;)

LOL, more than one has said this. Keep it up and I will get a big head!

But seriously, I think the dio category is going to be the hardest one.

Thank you a lot, guys!
I really do appreciate having all of you among the viewers :)

@Grendels, yes, buddy, the dio cat is really strong this year. It was very strong last year as well, but definetely less in number of builds included. I think that it is also much a result of this year's rules for the terain and the only way to include what was once for the figure cat. If my opinion is of any value, I think that is cool.
I've always loved dioramas, even before becoming scale modeling addicted, so the more of them - the better ;D
By the way, have You also noticed this year's sci-fi category? Extremely strong to. Several very complicated projects, and a big number of participants as a whole. Can't say anything precise on other categories, as even though I do enjoy all types of models, I'm pretty much a noob in questions of modeling the real-life crafts.

Anyway, it took me longer to get a new update once again. Work is drawing more and more of my attention recently (and the two next weeks seem to be quite a challenge, but I'll get through ;)) + I've been in the mode of searching and getting some supplies.
But what's good: these supplies I'm talking about is a find I'm extremely glad with.
The self-polymerizing modeling mass DARWI-TERRACOTA.
Pretty cool stuff - looks like clay when taken from the bag. With some whater applied it becomes more amorphous and sticky. After giving it a required form, you can change it then within 2 hours if required. After 24 hours it can be painted with any acrylic paints. Complete polymerization after 2 days.
This mass happened to be perfect for me to create some Geonosian landscape on the base of Kotobukiya's desert-base. I made the bridge itself and some geonosian-style stalagmites around + used some of the "easy-to-build-diorama-for-possible-figure-presentation" stuff from the Hasbro's set the clone troopers came in for additional details under the bridge where the troopers are going to be positioned.
All in all, here how it looks now, drying:
(also a pair of pics of the tank on it's primer stage included)

Beautiful detail on this Sol. You're additions have made a big difference and that base is very cool. Will be awesome watching this all come together.

As a big fan of Clone Wars series,

im already hooked :)

great stuff,

shane.

Thank you, gents :)

Todays update is more about the cosmetically work.

I've found out with some disappointment, that although that sculpt I've used is extremely cool, it has a slight disadvantage - a big value of reducing it's volume while curing. Almost forgot about such things working with the green stuff. This effect led to some cracks here and there, which do look quite interesting, and seem to be on their own place, so I'm going to leave many of them alone. However, the other problem is that the separate elements I've sculpted individually happened to become not so well bonded together as I had expected, making the whole structure more fragile. To avoid it's spontaneous destruction, I've hardened everything with the two-component putty.

Next thing I've worked with was the small scull laying near one of the spikes. It look too obvious to be a cow's one, maybe a horse's if not the cow's. Anyway, I intended to make it a massiff's (massiff is this little guy http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Massiff)
Here is how it turned out

Looks like a bit too much like the cheap special effects of 60-s to me, will see how it will look after painting... Don't know if it would stay in the dio yet anyway.

Finally, I've started painting the tank. I'm going to use the silver-primer-chipping technique on it, the one that turned out so well with my previous project - the AAT.
And I do remember that I've promised a step-by-step video, I am going to make one ;)
As for now, here is a shot of the parts painted silver:

Thanks for stoping by, guys. No promises, but I'll try my best to make a one more update before the end of the first 1/3 of this contest :)
See ya!

Loving your work Solander, this is a really unique build. The detail on the vehicle is great and I can't wait to see the base evolve.
Top work

This is looking great Sol, that skull has to stay! That's an order lol! Only joking mate I just think it adds interest. Really looking forward to the vid mate. If this turns out anything like your previous build your onto a winner.

Latest posts

Back