Shuttle Tydirium [FINISHED!]

Re: Shuttle Tydirium [WIP]

You are putting a lot of work into this! And I am sure it will pay off.

Thank you guys!
A new update is already here!
A video, dealing with the lighting, as I've promised. Sorry for bubbling and the overall quality - I was a bit nervous talking to virtually so many people :)

Shuttle Tydirium [WIP#1 - Lighting]

Here is this pic:

As You can see, lots of tiny controls arrived.
Try to make some new updates on installing the lights as soon as I prepare the parts with protection from the light leaks.

Nice video! A question though, why a Pic controller instead of using a timing chip? Couldn't you get the same results without programming?

WOW !

I just caught this .. Smoookin' Job ! Yeah, You really are goin all out ! Cheers to ya' Bro !! This will definitely pay off in t end !!

Lucas Light & Magic ( Is that th right name for it) would be proud !!

Thank you, buddies! Would have joined the L&M gladly, if only it was still the time of scale models in the movies, not the digital ones.. And one more doubt - I'm afraid, that making one's hobby a job might be a way to totally ruing all the fun))

Grendels said:
Nice video! A question though, why a Pic controller instead of using a timing chip? Couldn't you get the same results without programming?

Several reasons for that, Grendels:
- the chip is a much easier way to make the desired complex blinking scheme with the exact time periods: two blinks 0,75 seconds each with the same pause between, then a long pause and repeat. It would take more time to find or order or solder together in a way of huge RC-scheme the time chip needed then while using a microchip
- It is a bit more compact and costs less then a time controller (it is of course if You already have a programmator - these guys would really eat lots of your potentially new kits)
- microchips are handy - solder a connector to the scheme plate, plug it in and here You go. If another programming is required, just change the chip on another one or reprogram in mater of minutes.
- Finally I've frankly never used microchips in modeling before, only for work, and decided to see the results, as I'm going to continue using them further with building for ex. a Monogram's U.S.S. Voyager with all the different groups of navigational lights blinking with their own rate and WARP nacelles automatically switching to the faster-then-light mode, stopping the impulse engines and engaging WARP with only pushing one button. It of coerce would require a more advanced chip with additional output pins. Ah, dreams, dreams... :)

Thank you for answering my question!

I didn't realize that you had a variable blink rate. You are correct it would not be good to try and build that with timing chips.

I use a few different timing chips when I light up models. (The 555 and the 4060 cmos.) Both of these chips work well for blinking lights, but they cannot do what you described in your post. They can blink on and off. The 4060 can control many different blinking lights at one time, while the 555 can blink only one thing. The other difference is that the 4060 only blinks on and off, with the same timing for both the on and off cycle. While the 555 will allow you to adjust the pulse width so you can have a short on, long off, or a long off, short on.

Both of these chips use a resistor and a capacitor for timing.

My next step will be to venture into Pic chips, but that is for next Winter when I have a good long vacation to devote my time to it.

Inspirational work Solander! I wish I had the patients to light my builds but my electronics skills leave some to be desired!
Keep the updates coming!

Shuttle's looking great. Can't wait to see what you make of this kit.

Grendels, when You turn to Your work with PIC, just let me know if You need - I'll send You some useful stuff I've found for this proj. myself: compilers, prewritten progs for LED blinking, microchip emulator, programmator drivers etc.

nimrod77, no prob ;) and believe me, like all skills it is coming thing. I myself have taken a solderer in my hands for the first time around 1,5 years ago with an absolutely 0 knowledge of what and how to do. Just don't be afraid to experiment.

Scott, hope to complete the shuttle without the stand I've got plans for to till the middle of May. I'll be entering harsh time of exams session in my institute by that time, which would in the worst case (means I get no auto passes) till the mid of June. So I'd prefer seeing this buddy ready for presentation on the final entries page by that time, just in case I won't be able to afford much time for modeling.

So now I'm trying to speed up a little bit.
Here is the progress so far:

Scratch-built a corridor, connecting the control room with the cargo/passengers hall

Also made some final touches with the controls - added "ok, lets go to hyperspace" levers on the central console and a pair of steering control.

Now starting to work with the detailing of the ship's bottom:

Wow, you are sure doing this one right!!

I appreciate the offer of info for pic controllers. I will look you up when I get there this next winter. To be honest that is what has been slowing me down with them. Too much info and I am not sure where to start. I do have a book on them, just no time at the moment to read it.

Good luck on your exams in May. And thanks again for the offer on the info.

Great amount of detail your putting into this one,love the cockpit.

Just fell off my chair(Should not have had that last pie! ;D), this is a great build to follow. So much attention to detail. Thanks so much for sharing.

Making some pretty good progress there. Enjoying the follow along!! ;D

I like what you have done with the landing legs. Routing power through them for landed mode is a great idea!!

Latest posts

Back