Shuttle Tydirium [FINISHED!]

Solander

Hey, guys! Guessit's time for some addicted modeling once again! ;D
And here is my first entry for this Contest: the Lambda-class Shuttle "Tydirium" by AMT.

Guess you all know this guy, so that's enough for presentations.
The kit is something between 1/72 and 1/144, and it is really BIG. Guess it is something about 1/2 of the studio model, and unlike many other AMT Star Wars kits it is very accurate despite some minimal mistakes.

Due to the dimensions of the box, I was unable to take it in a photo along with my cell-phone for the date to be visible for verification, so I placed the SMA site as a background with a contest banner that had appeared on the 1st of April.

The long strange thing lying in the box with the sprues is a micro halogen lamp.

It is 100mm long and 4mm in diameter and emits blue light of 15000 mCd. Also it includes a tiny power converter that allows to light it from a 12V source and would fit inside the model with no problems. Despite the fact that this lamp coasted me about twice as much as the model, it would be perfect for proper lighting the shuttle engines.

Another thing I've thought about is the cockpit. It is rather poor for details, and, as I am intended to light it too, it requires some rework. The thing I've started with is the crew. The one that came along with the kit is a piece of crap, so I'm now making new pilots from the RAF ground personnel figures in 1/72.

Will post new update really soon, so stay tuned and thanks for watching.
All the most interesting is just beginning ;)

Re: Shuttle Tydirium [WIP]

Should be interesting.
Been a really long time since I last saw one of those built

This was one of my favorite kits from the star wars movies!

Are you going to mount it in flight or landed ?

It huge when in flight, but looks cooler than landed version.

Best of luck mate.

Thanks))
I've got plans to make it changeable from flight into landed mode and back.
Magnets or pins (didn't decide that yet) would serve for attaching landing gears or the hatches on their place, along with a hull plate covering the hole in the bottom for the stand when it is in flight.

Just a quick update of today.
Have spent about 5 hours sanding down the outer paneling of the kit and cutting new lines. Only one half of the upper wing is yet complete. Yeah, it is a very slow process, but it makes a great deal in the ships resulting look.
Here are some comparative shots of the wing's halves before/after:

Nice!

"...what is your cargo and destination?" ;D

I'm not gonna lie..., I've got kit envy.
Nice work so far.

Here is the progress so far.
Still takes lots of time to change paneling from outer to an inner one,but it really gives a great deal to the kit, so I'm going to do this through the whole ship.
Both sides of the main wing are yet complete, and undergone some detailing in the area of connection to the hull.

The small intakes were also drilled on the both sides.

Then I've turned for a while to the engine section. Cut out the engines, and also added some small details.

And as a final touch for now are the two missed panels on the main hull.

Thats all for now. Next I'm planning to add a pair of details to the engine area, and, if I manage to get a 5-12V transormator and a 12V synchronized adapter I would start lighting. Might even make a short video on that, but still not sure, as my verbal english is not perfect thus slow, and I'm afraid of making you, guys, bored :)

P.S: Let me know what way of presenting photos You find preferable: as a preview, like I did before, or as a full scale pic, as on this topic? Anyone suffering traffic?

Looking great! All this work will pay off bigtime.

Posting pics like this is fine with me. I have a limit of 5 per post, but that's for attachements.
These are hosted off site and that's cool.

Pics is fine by me as well.
And I like that they're hosted off-site.

The model is looking really good.

Solander said:
Might even make a short video on that, but still not sure, as my verbal english is not perfect thus slow, and I'm afraid of making you, guys, bored :)

No worries, it's the only language I've ever spoken and mine isn't so good either. ;D

Solander said:
P.S: Let me know what way of presenting photos You find preferable: as a preview, like I did before, or as a full scale pic, as on this topic? Anyone suffering traffic?

I like the pictures posted like this...

I will be honest and say that when I come to a post loaded with links, I rarely click them all. :-[

Looking sharp!! As for photos, post the way you are, they tell the story better. I think someone on Dial up will have issues but other than that, everything should be fine!

My reason is this:

Most everyone here found SMA via youTube. Videos require high 'enough' speed and therefore inline pics aren't much of an issue.

schweinhund227 said:
DIAL UP ?

I have seen other modelers from various parts of the world on other forums mention dial up I believe...

First of all, let me send one's greetings to all of you, guys, reading now this topic with the occasion of a 50 years anniversary of the first humans flight into space! Remember: the future is just beginning, and all of us can participate in building it and making it a better one.

Ok, as the holiday part is over, about the current project status:
not much to show for now (I'd even say nothing) as for the last two days I've been making myself acquainted with assembler and programing PIC micro-controllers to create correctly blinking navigation lights for the kit. I'm nt a big lover of programing, so it was going so slow, but the code has been completed and tested for being correct on the emulator minutes ago. So what is going next is to plug the chip into programmator and solder all the electronics together to prepare them for the installation into the shuttle-hope to do it by saturday.
And the way of pics-posting: carried unanimously - and it stays))

Hi, guys!
It was a really long time since the last update, but, along with that, plenty of work done.
Unfortunately I can't show you the video about my shuttle's lighting process for around 1-2 more days - still have some minor touches left with the microchip scheme.
But, here are some lightworks complete:

The small scheme near the lamp is the 12-5 Volts power converter, through which I'm going to power up all the LED's. I took it from an old mobile telephone charging connector for the auto cigarette lighter. A small red LED had been preinstalled in it as a current indicator, and I'm planning to use it with fiber-optics for some "watch you head!" lights near the ramp.

Another major part of this update, is that I've finally complete all the rescribing. It definitely gives a lot to the model, but, as it was my first experience in rescribing ever, I must say with all confidence, that since now I would avoid kits with outer paneling at all costs! :) Here are the results:

A little bit more details have been added to the engine section

Then I've turned to the interior.
I'm sure, You can all remember the grill-panels lighted with blue on the back of Darth Vader leaving the shuttle. Here they are:

The cockpit was a total crap (You can find it's original look on the first page of this topic). So it is now on a reconstruction. The progress so far:

And here are the chairs. Knowing all their issues after watching the 6th episode, it was very difficult not to think about wookies, while constructing them.. But the desire for accuraci has overweighted ;D

Hope You'd enjoy it, and thanks for watching!

Latest posts

Back