Show off your Paint booth!

jorgeg15

So I am considering building a DIY spray booth. Ive been doing some lurking around on this site looking for ideas and have come up with mostly showoff mancave posts. Id like to see what some of you guys have rigged up for booths.
I do however see peeps saying that its not good to use a restroom vent or range top vent because of the possibility of fires with enamel based paints. But I have seen a few on this site still using them. Id like to get a idea of the wiring used to make them functional.

Well enough of that, lets see those spray booths! Thanks guys!

BTW: first post!! ;D

Here's mine:

http://public.fotki.com/ScottM/models/paint-booth/

Just a bathroom fan in the bottom (100cfm I think, maybe 120), I have sprayed everything from lacquer, enamels and acrylics and haven't blown myself up yet. Most of the time when people have had problems, they were spraying with a spray can, and it is generally the propellent in the can that is alot more flammable than the actual paint/thinner.

If you are spraying with an airbrush, you shouldn't have an issue. If your still skeptical, you can always daisy chain a bunch of computer fans together, as they are a sealed unit.

Elm City Hobbies said:
Here's mine:

http://public.fotki.com/ScottM/models/paint-booth/

Just a bathroom fan in the bottom (100cfm I think, maybe 120), I have sprayed everything from lacquer, enamels and acrylics and haven't blown myself up yet. Most of the time when people have had problems, they were spraying with a spray can, and it is generally the propellent in the can that is alot more flammable than the actual paint/thinner.

If you are spraying with an airbrush, you shouldn't have an issue. If your still skeptical, you can always daisy chain a bunch of computer fans together, as they are a sealed unit.
Your spray booth was actually one of the ones I was looking at last night while I was searching the site. I really like yours it seems extremely functional since you have so much space and it works off of a cheap easy to find filter. In contrast to the custom filters that you can only find online.
Also I appreciate the advice on the computer fans

Yeah, my buddy and I built one for each of us at the same time...I mean if you gotta cut MDF for one, doesn't take much more time to cut MDF for 2.

I then just transported the parts here (he lived in Ottawa at the time) and assembled it here.

If I had to do it again, I might make it a bit bigger. We built them around the furnace filter (20X16 I think), so could go to a slightly bigger furnace filter if you wanted.

Would probably build in lighting and maybe some plexglass doors. This way you could close the doors, and leave the lights on and use the heat from the lights to cure the paint a bit faster, in theory anyway.

Not very pretty but she's workin like a champ! It's built on a hinged platform on the end of my bench. It has a fold out leg and when folded up its right in front of the window. Air duct comes out the bottom and right out the window.

20150316_193118_zps6uq0vvyk.jpg

Here's mine :
IMG_2605.JPG

Nice. I just have one of the cheap 'portable' units. Added a inline fan to boost the airflow.
Recently picked up a artograph 2025. Not ideal but it was $25 and with filters being hundreds I figure I'll,use the fan etc to make my own Grendels style booth.

WebbyNZ said:
Not ideal but it was $25 and with filters being hundreds...

Tell me about it. I have a 1530 and it's great but the filters cost hundreds. I just 'gangster' them using furnace filters.

Scott Girvan said:
WebbyNZ said:
Not ideal but it was $25 and with filters being hundreds...

Tell me about it. I have a 1530 and it's great but the filters cost hundreds. I just 'gangster' them using furnace filters.

This is why I built my own spray booth.....

Latest posts

Back