Second Hand AMT Star Wars STAP with Battle Droid

iandrewmartin

Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2013
Messages
46
Reaction score
17
A while back (around early March if my memory serves me correctly) I managed to obtain this kit.

It has been worked on and there are some issues with it, primarily it had been started, but never finished by the parent's son many years ago. Over the last month, I've been looking at the kit and completed parts and have been reworking them to remove the seam lines, moulding imperfections and on. I've had to reglue a fair bit too as many of the parts were not well glued originally.

Of note though is that the ball joint for one of the arms is missing. And it is not inside the chest piece. However, trying to fit the remaining arm to the ball has been impossible so far. I'm wondering if anyone else has built this kit and if they found the same problem with the arms and their attachment?

Pictures shared below.
20200705_091208.jpg 20200705_085904.jpg 20200705_085915.jpg

Project Status:
  • Most of the body glue-up (and re-gluing where needed) is complete.
  • Full body seam clean up is complete.
  • I've worked all of the fine detailing with a small triangular file to remove the mould lines, and they came up very nicely.
  • I'm going to leave the arms off until I get to the time where I attache the droid to the STAP. I'll likely just glue them in place for simplicity's sake. And my sanity of course.

The building of the kit will not be a problem. It will be the painting that will do me in. It is my weakness.

Your thoughts, experience and tips are highly welcomed.
 

iandrewmartin

Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2013
Messages
46
Reaction score
17
OK - so I was reading on a couple of other sites and determined that to display the droid on the STAP you need to glue the droid anyway. So I think that I have my answer on this one.
 

Dark Kyp

Active Member
Joined
Nov 27, 2011
Messages
702
Reaction score
48
Nice start. ;)
You will have to glue the arm indeed. I advise you to build the STAP first. This way you can find the good position for the arms.
 

iandrewmartin

Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2013
Messages
46
Reaction score
17
Nice start. ;)
You will have to glue the arm indeed. I advise you to build the STAP first. This way you can find the good position for the arms.
One of the sites I visited did say that about the kit. Luckily the young fellow who started the kit did not start building the STAP. So I'll be working on that next to get it completed. I've got to remove some paint first - I've no idea what used but it is awful and shiny. So that has to go. Then it is all about filling of the back of the legs - where the parts come together. I cannot find a decent shot from either the movie or a still that shows the back of the droid's legs. So I' m not sure what is "correct". I'm going to fill them and then deal with any fallout from there.
 

iandrewmartin

Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2013
Messages
46
Reaction score
17
Hi all;
Well, work has been overwhelming here in Melbourne (Victoria, AU), not any of the other ones. I managed to get the body of the droid prepped and puttied on Wednesday (in between some honey-dos) on my day off. Back to work again and tonight I managed to get the putty sanded and the body generally cleaned up.

Putty is a mix of squadron green (I have a bunch of it to use before I buy anything new) and Tamiya (TM) Extra Thin cement, made into a paste - just a little thinner than toothpaste. I find that this allows it to get into holes and cracks easily with the added ability to glue and fill at the same time. That is especially useful in this case where I am rebuilding a previously started kit.

So let's start with the images. (Note: Before on the left - after on the right - except as noted on the last image)
Front of the droid model
Front_Side_Before.jpgFront_Side_After.jpg
There's still a little fine file work required just under the breastplate. But mostly done.

Note: For rubbing down the putty and prepping the plastic for undercoat I am a fan of buffing files. These are the kind with the foam sandwiched between a fine and medium grade (wet and dry) for finishing, or coarse and medium for getting things close to true. You can read more about them here.

Port side:
Port_Side_Before.jpgPort_Side_After.jpg
All of the seams are now flush and tight. Ejector pin marks are filled and any other marks are likewise complete. This is a nice kit.

Starboard side:
Starboard_Side_Before.jpgStarboard_Side_After.jpg
There seemed to be a lot of fit issues, which I am sure were the result of a young modeller, rather than the kit. Still, it has come up nicely.

Back Side (After only)
Back_Side_After.jpg
The tailbone took quite a bit of work, and as described in an earlier post I did a lot of work on the concentric rings inboard of the leg-joins to make sure they all lined up and the join lines were smooth.

Finally, I wet sanded the previously applied paint-work to get rid of overspray and runs. A little more work with the putty tomorrow should see this part of the kit ready to go for undercoat. I'll be spraying it in the Tamiya Fine White Primer. This is ultra-fine and self-levelling and gives a nice smooth result.
 

iandrewmartin

Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2013
Messages
46
Reaction score
17
Here is how I made mine:
It is still in progress.
I don't know it the position is the good one.
Dark Kip;
I meant to ask previously, what paint you used for the metallic. That looks really nice.
 

Latest posts

Top