Sd.Kfz 234 -- a simple OOTB...something

Well, I had one last thing to do before painting....create seat-belts. I used the jerry can wield-rib PE pieces.
wip_234_33_zpsd286f58a.jpg~original

Everything that was left over. Still a lot of goodies left for the next project.
wip_234_34_zpsee0caaf0.jpg~original

I primed in Tamiya Grey. Then I sprayed a mix of Vallejo Primer Black and Dunkelgelb mixed. Hit it with chipping fluid...then airbrushed a primer red mix from LifeColor paints for the interior sections.
wip_234_35_zps5b59a7bc.jpg~original

More chipping fluid and a light grey color from LC.
wip_234_36_zpsb0cda1ca.jpg~original

On the outside, I used chipping fluid and Tamiya Light Grey (it has a strong bluish-tint).
wip_234_37_zps396ee8a6.jpg~original

Finally, more chipping fluid, and this time I hit it with a mix of Tamiya JA Grey and Royal Light Grey.
wip_234_38_zps12363130.jpg~original

I'm still considering more colors as I want it to look really beaten. Of course, once I start weathering, a lot of the contrast will diminish in some areas.

Thanks for the comments.

Well, it's decal and detail painting time here. First up is adding some decals and roughing them up by dragging a razor knife over them once they have set. (With the other single-kit kit-bashed hovertanks, I always chopped down the Balkenkreuz for a sci-fi look). Also, I masked off some areas of the wings to create orange stipes/chevrons.
wip_234_39_zpsf83918bf.jpg~original

This decal was originally Blucher, but the "h" tore. So, Blucner it is.
wip_234_40_zps0b171465.jpg~original

This is the gunner's screensaver. Yes, that is the Dragon logo.
wip_234_41_zps27dc46fe.jpg~original

The white circle and orange triangle were created from stencils I bought. (They were WWII allied stencils that I rearranged somewhat, like masking the star so I would only get the surrounding circle).
wip_234_42_zps2cf47b4b.jpg~original

Finally, I started painting the chair:
wip_234_43_zps6800be0c.jpg~original

Well, I took a break from weathering/painting to do some groundwork (which is kinda a last minute decision).

First, I laid out a bunch of rocks I had molded for AT-TE Cargo Walker. I also used 2 of the kit tires for more scenery, one of which I drilled some random holes in the wheel. I also took time to beat up the tires, and cut gouges in them.
wip_234_44_zps73eba1ff.jpg~original

Here, I've scored the base with a razor knife, and begun gluing the rocks in place.
wip_234_45_zps416f5a81.jpg~original

And here we are after getting a layer of DAS air-dry clay laid over some wood glue. I also sprayed a little scenic cement and dropped some rocks/dirt for more texture. The tires had to be super-glued to ensure they stayed in place.
wip_234_46_zps94a470f7.jpg~original

It might be a stretch, but I still call this OOTB, as no other styrene was harmed in the making of this.

Thanks man. It's been a fun project.

So, I primed the base in Vallejo Primer Black (this helps with shadows...at least in my mind it does).
wip_234_47_zpsc4928c8d.jpg~original

Then I started spraying Tamiya Deck Tan with a little Desert Yellow added:
wip_234_48_zps5ccda005.jpg~original

After that, I moved to Vallejo and hit the rocks with more shades of grey. Finally, I used a dark grey from LifeColor for the tires. Next up will be hand-painting details and picking out shades for some of the rocks.
wip_234_49_zps232ecf2d.jpg~original

Finally, this is where the weathering is at right now. I've added dust, dust, and dust (all enamel/oils):
wip_234_50_zps6ef1296e.jpg~original

The roller-mines look really bright, but they are quite "dusty". Once I break out the pigments, I think I can tone that down some more. I also want to add more rust to the front end.

Thanks John. Your "Remora" has been quite the inspiration.

A small update. I started painting the rocks and tires late yesterday, and I made a big "woops". I created a mask out of Scotch blue painters tape to paint the inner wheel, and when I lifted the tape, it lifted a bunch of the paint. I went over it with a paintbrush, but you could still see where the edges of the original layer were.

Frustrated, I decided to weather it and see if it disappeared, but what I got was quite a surprise. I layered highly-thinned Vallejo paint (filter consistency) on the tire, and it crept along the edges of the paint creating a rotten tire effect that I now LOVE. It looks like cracks in the tire...and all it was a fortunate accident and watery Vallejo paint. In fact, all of the weathering there is acrylic...no pigments or enamels yet.

wip_234_51_zpsa7812457.jpg~original

Brilliant!
Brilliant idea, brilliant modelling, brilliant painting...
This things rocks!

You, sir, are the man. Love the creativity and imagination going into the build. Awesome looking progress so far - I will definitely be watching this build.

Thank you guys for all the comments.

I'm about to start adding some tufts of grass here and there. This will be my first time working with the little animal hair fiber grass, so wish me luck.

Well, I declare this beast complete. Enjoy

reznap234_2.jpg

I used pieces from the instructions to create maps (one rolled and one open)
reznap234_8.jpg

Engine detail:
reznap234_10.jpg

Interior:
reznap234_7.jpg

A shot of the vegetation around the tire:
reznap234_20.jpg

Latest posts

Back