Sd.Kfz 234 -- a simple OOTB...something

Unreality

or Jonathan if you prefer
So, for something a little different, I decided to do a simple, relaxing out of the box build.

The subject, Dragon's 234/4 Panzerspahwagen
wip_234_1_zps0f5c586d.jpg~original

Following Dragon instructions is for pansies, let's just jump in:
wip_234_2_zpsbdaa4573.jpg~original

You'll notice the leaf springs and suspension bits are now mounted on the sides. That's strange...it almost looks like I'm making a hovertank. Hey, it's still out of the box.
wip_234_5_zpsc2b5bdcc.jpg~original

I don't need the fenders anymore, so let's cut them up and extract the cool trapezoid doors:
wip_234_3_zps12635dce.jpg~original

And then we can sand those down and make wings out of them:
wip_234_4_zps3dc63097.jpg~original

While we're at it, let's make a neat engine for this beast. You might notice some jerry can handles in there. And you can see the little wing/doors on the side. And we'll make the engine cover is removable...in case we want to play with it later.
wip_234_6_zps92b7bfec.jpg~original

Good choice, this ones on my build list for the future.

Look forward to seeing what you do with this

Thanks guys for the comments. I've been building a lot, but I haven't been updating. So, to catch everyone up.

I used pieces of the gun mount to create engines.
wip_234_7_zps963d0187.jpg~original

Then I sliced off part of the undercarriage bit for the thrusters. (This hurt because I thought it would make a nice refueling station for a 1/144 Star Wars dio)
wip_234_8_zps5c47cdd1.jpg~original

Added those in and used the gun shield as wings. Notice I had to cover up the viewport with apoxie sculpt.
wip_234_9_zps3247c10f.jpg~original

Another view
wip_234_10_zpsf07a13a0.jpg~original

Added the side walls on
wip_234_11_zps54c8ea7c.jpg~original

Finally, I created a two-seat command chair using the gun mount, the jack, various bits, and some stretched sprue.
wip_234_12_zps7282a74d.jpg~original

The small screen is from the jack, and the lower screen is a rear notek light.
wip_234_13_zps320eb175.jpg~original

Thanks everyone for the comments. I am progressing...slowly.

In trying to create a side-cannon, I first used some parts to create a mount/ammo container. Here, I'm using various bits to cover up one of the side-lockers on the standard 234.
wip_234_14_zpsd3433b6d.jpg~original

Also, in keeping with the OOTB build, I'm using pieces of the "Dragon" sprue label instead of busting out sheet styrene. All it really takes is just sanding off the letters.
wip_234_15_zps4359e1ea.jpg~original

And here, the gun barrel from the kit, but hollowed out...and mounted from container pieces to the hull. More detail to follow.
wip_234_16_zpsa5fe9e60.jpg~original

On the front, I trimmed down the armor hatch with the expectation to create a windscreen.
wip_234_17_zps318b579c.jpg~original

I used a pin vise to drill holes surrounding the area to remove.
wip_234_18_zps46ab4325.jpg~original

I snipped off the offending piece, smoothed it out, and found part of the PE sprue which I will later use to attach a clear windscreen. My option for the windscreen are limited to the plastic bags the sprues come in....so that will be interesting.
wip_234_19_zps85b502e1.jpg~original

OK, so last we left off, our intrepid hero was attempting to....

I got the photo-etch part glued down. I'll be adding the window next. By the way, if you haven't bought a Glue Looper...consider it. Version 2 is stainless steel and comes with 6 tips: http://creativedynamicllc.com/the-glue-looper.html Just add some extra-thin CA, and tap it to the edge of the PE piece. Use a lighter to clean the tip off.
wip_234_20_zps5bad4938.jpg~original

I made these rolling bomb things earlier with the idea of attaching the to the sides.
wip_234_22_zps2024bfae.jpg~original

But after looking at these pieces...
wip_234_21_zps1b356834.jpg~original

I thought a rail launcher at the back would be perfect. I'm considering painting them yellow as a homage to a great shark-hunter. "Farewell and adieu..."
wip_234_23_zps9cc003df.jpg~original

On the left side, I used part of the breech rail to create a step-ladder into the vehicle.
wip_234_25_zps0f2fe932.jpg~original

Best part, I was able to make it rotate:
wip_234_24_zps1ada9413.jpg~original

I've also fashioned an MG out of fire extinguishers.
wip_234_26_zpsac50cca5.jpg~original

And I just realized a few days ago that I have these metal (aluminum?) braces that came with the kit for the suspension. If I flatten them out, I'll have some great grab-handles or roll-bars.
wip_234_27_zps26183ca5.jpg~original

So far, we are still 100% OOTB.

And a big "Thanks" to everyone for the comments.

Alright, so I've been slacking when it comes to in-progress pictures, but I do have the several good shots of the current look. It's almost ready for paint...after just a few more details here and there.

You can see the metal bars on the sides. I also used the plastic sprue wrap for the viewport (really hoping the tamiya tape doesn't pull it up when I finally remove it).
wip_234_28_zps47bb37fb.jpg~original

Here's a shot of the roller-mine dispenser. The mines are not glued, and I can fairly easily remove them.
wip_234_29_zpsf8e58429.jpg~original

Top-down view of the interior.
wip_234_31_zpsd7fe617d.jpg~original

Head-on view. I used part of the fenders for the frontal armor
wip_234_30_zpsaf1f9afa.jpg~original

Finally, I bashed a little sci-fi gun together.
wip_234_32_zpsf573b225.jpg~original

Hope you guys like it.

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back