Scratchbulding a Banshee (Wing Commander IV)

I am currently doing the main body / fuselage. Started today and am still not finished. :eek: Thought that'll be quicker.

Ahhh memories. My Dad and I used to "hot seat" on the old 486 playing Wing Commander til the wee hours. A great game with a nifty design aesthetic. Terrible (in a fun way) movie though :p

It's pretty cool to see one of the old classic designs being brought into three dimensional life. I'm looking forward to following your progress.

The Fuselage / Cockpit

Yikes. Took me longer than expected. I am quite slow at this, mainly because I am afraid I could cut something too small or entirely wrong. My Fuselage actually is a tad too high, but I am ok with this. I am now in the progress of roughly detailing the cockpit. That's mainly adding a chair, some weird stuff on the walls and well. A canopy I have to build as well.

Banshee_04.jpg

And another small update, before I have to stop working on it for a week. The Cockpit is a bit detailed and I also built the pilot's chair. There is still a lot of detail missing in the cockpit, but that'll be finished later. Next up: The engines and... connection things, which hold everything together.

Banshee_05.jpg

Banshee_06.jpg

I don't even know where to begin.
For one, I've never attempted anything that wasn't out of a box, so I applaud the efforts of anyone who can scratch build something.
Awesome work and hope it comes out exactly the way you're aiming.

Hey mates. Time for an update! :D Here's what I did the last few days.

I finally built the weird things on the side of the wings. That wasn't as easy, as I thought first. I am not happy with the size and shape of them, but they'll do for now. I even added some detail to the open ones. The colored parts are from some Italeri Matilda MK.II tank kit.

Banshee_07.jpg

Oh and now the engines. They took me much longer than I expected. I really love their overall form but... I messed up the stuff inside there. It doesn't look like the illustration at all and I am thinking about removing it, if possible. It looks more like a rocket launcher, than some engine intakes or whatever this should have been. Too bad I already put so much work in those tiny pieces. :(

Banshee_08.jpg

I also added even more detail to the cockpit. I don't think it's done yet, because I really like that "stuffed" look on spaceships and my cockpit still looks a tad empty. I used random tank and battleship kit parts for that. As well as styrene and brass rod. On the backside I already started detailing it with random Star Wars easy kit parts someone once sent me.

Banshee_09.jpg

Banshee_10.jpg

I thought I might show you the tiny blaster and axe (for emergency purposes) I built out of 1/350 Yamato Parts and styrene, because once the pilot's seat is in, they will be hardly visible. :D

Banshee_11.jpg

Well that's it. More coming soon, when I found a way to remove the messed up engine detail and built new one. I still have to do the stuff, that keeps it all together, as well. Dunno how I could call it. Once that's finished I can concentrate on detailing, which is much fun!

Oh and btw, if you right click on the images and choose "show graphic" (I hope that's what it's called in english windows?!) you can view the pictures in a slightly bigger version. I think the forum resizes the pictures!

Latest posts

Back