Scalemodelmedic's Staghound

Jon...

why do you have to build such fantastic models? Why couldn't you have built a plane dude?

;D

Love your stowage and the dusty finish and the fact that you are doing this your way.

Awesome stuff brother.

It is wonderful work, one day I will have your skill with a paint brush, but until that time, I have to marvel at others work. :D

Hey thanks to all you guys for the encouragement, this has been a big boost - so I've put in extra time lately and I've decided that even though there are just days left, I am determined to get a base done for this model !!

Here's where I am now. I turned this from a photoframe to a Normandy road in ONE NIGHT :eek: I didn't even know I could model that fast myself. Trying to keep the momentum building but hey - it's slow going sticking trees together lol

stagbase3.jpg

stagbase4.jpg

Looking great Jon,

Tired out the Vallejo Grey Primer (the new one) and love it.

Vallejo was kind enough to send me an advanced copy of their new DVD.

Well worth the price (whatever that will be as I don't have a MSRP on it yet).

One thing that is nice to know....once the Vallejo Primer has set up (IE: Cured), it will take enamel or lacquer paint over it with no problems at all. I just finished putting gloss black on a few parts in prep for the Alclad chrome (pics to be posted momentarily), and it stands up to both enamel and lacquer very well!

Hey Elm, glad you're a fan of the primer too. I love the darn stuff now... it'll grip anything ! If it's not working so great out the airbrush then a thin smear with a brush will get just enough down for the next coat to grip hard. I'm a total convert!

On to the updates...

well I've been away on business this last couple of days and I've also left the camera on... managed to get a couple of shots but man they SUCK ! I have really lost the knack of taking decent modelling shots.

I have asked for advice from a professional who's really helped me out, I just need to get some new lights. In the meantime guys you're stuck with my crap pics....

final_stag_2a.jpg

final_stag_1a.jpg

the stag is all but finished but I have a lot of work to do on the base and also I have to paint her crew.

I don't know if I'll get all that done... but the important thing is 99% complete and that's the vehicle itself.

thanks for all the interest guys

speak to you soon
Jon

Hey guys,

so after my recent failures with the photographs I figured I'd keep working and worry about the photos later.

Just 48 hours left and I'm not finished.

The stag is done, the crew is done, the base is nearly done.

Here's where I am right now (glue is still wet in the photos lol)

stag_base_near_1.jpg

stag_base_near_2.jpg

Fantastic! Man, Jon this is incredible. You gotta do some videos on ground work man. Seriously.

The ground is awesome. Looks just like real gravel. I'd like to know how you did those lovely trees.

Thanks guys, I'm glad you like it ! You wouldn't believe how rushed that base is... normally I would've spent weeks, if not months, poring over it... just as an example, all that grass you see was added in one night !! The hedgerows took just a couple of days and the tree the same. It's not a difficult method at all... the whole base is basically just polystyrene foam and toilet paper with a texture layer on top!

Just one night to finish ! AAARGH! So much left to do !

I'm not sure what category this falls under any more, as the commander has been looking through binoculars and will have a map. Does this now move into diorama as it kind of tells a story? or does it stay in armour ?

I gues that's your call Scott !! I don't mind at all either way !

::) okay so I went nuts tonight and started taking pics on my old printed backgrounds !

I'm enjoying my new lights for photography but as you can see in these two first photos - the colour balance makes such a hell of a lot of difference... I need to practise heavily !

by the way - to view properly, copy the image location into your browser and view them direct. The forum makes me resize them down a bit.

stag_base_near_4.jpg

stag_base_near_3.jpg

stag_base_near_5.jpg

Great stuff man the standard for this contest has been really high :)
its also great for the new guys like me because we get to see all the updates in a kinda blog format .

Latest posts

Back