Running into decal setting issue. Help!

Airmedical

I'm doing a custom build 1/32 EC-135 medevac helicopter with custom decals. I use Future before the decal then the Microscale Microset and Microsol decal solutions. I have 90-95% of the decal setting correctly but I still have some issue were it is not contouring correctly over the slightly raised areas. It's the hinged and riveted area of the rear clamshell doors on the left side. It has more detail than the right side. I still am doing several applications of the Microsol and it does seem to help a little more each time. So I was wondering if there are any other tricks that you all use outside the Microscale decal soulutions. I've never had an issue like this before.

TIA
John

Sometimes with decals the stars just don't align.

Keep brushing them over with the Sol, allow it to dry completely, repeat till you are blue in the face.

If it just doesn't submit you may have to do some knife work: when dry CAREFULLY score the decal along panel lines and/or around detail. Hit it with Sol again and CAREFULLY press with a qtip on raised detail like the hinge. This is not with out risk of complete failure, but I have had success along these line before with particularly troublesome pieces.

O.k. I was beginning to figure it may be a patience thing. I can do that.
I did notice some faint splitting of the decal. So I know I will have to try and match the decal color as close as possible to touch up the base paint to blend into the decal. I poked some fine needle holes lastnight and this morning showed good results. I think we looking good!

Thanks for the help!
Cheers

one word of caution.... using too much Micro Sol will in the end TEAR your decal... the shrinking effect could conform but can also Tear the decal... I would press hard on it with a paper towell ! and if not to your satisfaction... cut away the few little parts that won't conform and paint it ! with match color of course...

I did a job like that and the Wing details was so prononced it tore right thru the decals... which I ended up
painting in the end... Too much Micro Sol !!! but the color was the same as the paint so... you can't tell !

I was lucky ! on another occasion I actually Removed the Detail part before assembly... saved it till decal time and added the detail after onto the decal with white glue ! and painted it to match... No micro sol required !!! but that's only good if you know it can be trouble before you start !!

Good luck with your Model...

later !

I had a similar issue with nose art decals on my "Li'l Chief" P-47. I used a new #11 knife blade and a very fine needle to make slits or holes where the decal had wrinkled, along with Solvaset (but not too much, as Schweinhund noted), to help get them to settle. There were also some spots on the undersides of the wings, around the ordnance pylons and on the hinges for the ailerons, where I had to nick the decals, too. They were good decals, but those were just some problem spots. It happens.

I have found the decal soulution to affect kit decals more aggresively than the custom printed decals.
But I learned the hot water trick from a friend to be the best trick and less harmful to decals.
This was copied from a decal soultion topic I replied to. Highly recommend!!!!

<Reply from another post>

HOWEVER, HERE's A TRICK FOR EVERYONE.

Put a cup of water in the microwave and bring it to a boil. (HANDLE WITH CARE) With a Q-tip, dip it in the hot water than straight down onto the decal and hold for a few seconds. DO NOT ROLL OR SCRUB SIDE TO SIDE) Lift staright up. Have a paper towel on hand to soak up the excess water. JUST DAB LIGHTLY. It will melt the decal right down. It will not hurt the decal. Allow to dry and when happy. Take a Q-tip wet with Furture (not soaking) and gently run it around and over the decal, sealing it in place. It works like magic.

RocketSilo said:
good stuff airmedical ,, thanks !

You're welcome!

Hey, tell me about your cut masks?
I know you are not taking any orders right now, but I would like to design some helicopter model masks and have someone make them. I build custom helicopter display models which require masking over and over and over and.......

Basically I can take a design( It helps to have vector artwork) , and cut it from premium paint mask.
I have a Roland vinyl cutter that does some very detailed cutting. you are left with the negative or positive (or both ) mask.
If you have overlapping graphics(such as your chopper photo) than several matching layers of masks can be created.

Not much to it really and it's usually easier than creating decals...lol

Latest posts

Back