Revell still making Star Trek kits! Whhaaaaa?

AKE

http://www.startrek.com/article/developing-revellundefineds-new-star-trek-model-kits

Maybe this is old news, but considering I haven't see a Star Trek kit from Revell in ages, I assumed they no longer had the license. Guess they do! Two new releases are the Enterprise TOS and Klingon D-7. At first I was "meh" for both, but a detailed TOS would be nice in a large scale. The D-7 release though I don't get. Polar Lights already has two, the new tooled 1/1000 and the retooled new 1/650. Don't see a need for a third.

Maybe this is why Round 2 lost the rights to the new movie Enterprise kit.

Yeah, I guess there'll always be a demand for Enterprise kits, but I'd have preferred to see their take on the Rommie Bird of Prey. Who knows, if this is a success (and it might be if it coincides with the next Trek movie), then we might get more releases from them.

It's kind of old news, yes.
Me, I'm tired of seeing kits of the "E" and the D7.
I WANT the 2009 Enterprise.

Just hoping SOMEONE puts one out soon.

Revell's work on these looks pretty good, though

And don't forget that Polar lights is soon to release the 1/350 TOS enterprise....

They sculpted in the grid lines though. Not too happy about that.

I'm passing on the 350. I still don't have a coffee table large enough to build the Refit 350th I already have.

Quaralane said:
It's kind of old news, yes.
Me, I'm tired of seeing kits of the "E" and the D7.
I WANT the 2009 Enterprise.

Just hoping SOMEONE puts one out soon.

Revell's work on these looks pretty good, though
YES, I totally agree with "Q" here. I was SO excited when I learned that round 2 was going to produce an Enterprise from the J.J. Abrams "Star Trek". Then I was crushed when they announced that they weren't going to produce one. Then I got all excited when they confirmed the 1/350 scale Enterprise!!!!!
Maybe Revell is just going to release these as Europe exclusives. With the base of the Enterprise looking so large, maybe the ship will be small....like 1/1000?

Round2 has had a couple of false starts - they had announced the 2009 Enterprise, an a few years ago they announced an Akira class kit. Not sure if anyone knows where that kit is at...

Apparently Round 2 only has the license for Star Trek for North America or something like that. The kits are being put out by Revell Germany and apparently aren't going to be distributed in North America.

Of course that doesn't stop anyone from buying them from a foreign country and having them sent here.

Personally I have never seen a Revell Star Trek kit, and when I asked the folks at Round 2 how they could put out a Star Trek kit when clearly Round 2 has the rights to all things Star Trek, they told me that those rights were only for North America.

The Akira was actually half way through being completed when Polar Lights sold their company to AMT/Ertl back in the 90s. When the same people that now own Round 2 reacquired their Polar Lights molds from AMT, they figured, why not complete the molds for the Akira. However apparently when they went looking for the half complete molds, they found that AMT hadn't kept really good care of them, and that it would probably cost as much or more to repair what they had already finished, as well as complete the rest of the molds, as it would to start from scratch, with new more modern technology. So the kit has been back burnered.

As far as the 2009 E. I think it has only been put on the back burner for now, and not completely scrapped, as they have hinted to the fact that they still want to do it, and that they do have most of the ground work done for it. However if it actually does get finished....is anyone's guess.

Latest posts

Back