New Sci-Fi kits

ohbejuan

I am feeling like new Sci-Fi model kits are a little slim this year. I am waiting on Round 2 to announce some new Star War or Star Trek kits, maybe because there are no big franchise releases? Lots of good vintage re-releases. Did I miss any announcements?

I wonder if 3-D printing is taking more market share from Sci-Fi kits than other types of kits. That is my perception, but I follow more 3D Model Makers in sci fi. It feels like 3D printing is used to enhance WWII models, and used to replace Sci Fi models. I see folks making Sherman tank tracks for other kits. But I see lots of STL files for the complete Star Wars fighter line up.

Round 2 is putting out the USS Ceritos from Star Trek Lower Decks later this year, and Moebius will have the Space Station V from 2001 a Space Odyssey in a couple of months (or so they say...)

Larry

3-D is nice, but you have to cut those annoying supports off of the parts, plus somehow sand off or fill in the lines created by the 3D printer as it prints the model layer by layer. I have a couple of FDM printers myself, but I don't model with them much for those reasons. I did make a Phantom Cruiser from files I found on Thingaverse, but it took a LOT of effort to make it nice. I found the Space Ghost logo with Google, downloaded it, sized it with Microsoft Word, then printed it on decal paper.

PXL_20240410_191235149.jpg

PXL_20240410_191259753.jpg

After thinking about this, I got into this hobby fairly recently and Bandai was really pumping out the Star Wars kits at the time. I think that was an anomaly, and set my expectations very high.

After thinking about this, I got into this hobby fairly recently and Bandai was really pumping out the Star Wars kits at the time. I think that was an anomaly, and set my expectations very high.
I think Bandai is pretty much done with Star Wars. Their primary market is Japan, not overseas. The novelty of SW kits has worn off, and those lousy Disney+ shows are incredibly niche in a country that still has video rental stores. While Japan isn't quite as adamantly opposed to woke propaganda as China is, it still doesn't help that the writing is garbage. Western modelers assume that Star Wars must be such a sure thing for marketing, but it doesn't come close to Gundam even though Gundams all start looking the same rather quickly.

I only ever got the first generation of "Star Wars" models, when AMT brought them out in the wake of the first movie's release. I built them and enjoyed them, but I always wished they had also kitted the Y-wing and a regular TIE fighter, instead of Darth Vader's machine.
I built their original Millennium Falcon, and enjoyed it. People today turn their nose up at it, but in 1978 or so, it was just cool to have a model of it at all. And I built the 12" (or so) Darth Vader figure kit, with the glow-in-the-dark piece for his light saber. I could see re-doing it today, to see if I've learned anything since then.
The only kit I've built is also an older one, the scout walker. That was more recently, about 10 years ago or a little earlier. I think I got the kit in one of our club raffles. It's on the Shelf of Doom now, though I think I finished assembly, and got stalled at detailing it and making a Hoth base for it.
I would like to get the Razor Crest, too, but otherwise, that's about all I'm interested in building from the franchise.

I just realized I misremembered the maker of those Star Wars kits-it was MPC, not AMT. Though AMT issued the original Star Trek models, and I loved the Enterprise kit-whatever Hyperscalers today might say about it. I never did get around to building the entire Star Fleet, though.

Now MPC, AMT, and all of those old kits are owned by Round 2, so many of them get reissued.

One thing that occurs to me is that one of the issues with Sci-Fi kits vs other kits is licensing. I know that some WWII aircraft kits are licensed, like Tamiya's P-39 has the company (Lockheed?) on the kit. But anyone can make a Bf 109 kit, or an M4 Sherman without having to worry about a massive fee. But any kit that is part of some modern media empire: Star Wars, Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica, has to get approval from the mega corp, and pay a fee. This is a huge bummer, and limits the number of kits. For example I emailed Moebius models a few years ago and asked if they would reissue any of their great BSG kits, and they emailed back and said: "NBC Universal is not giving anyone a license for those right now, we keep asking". Or put another way, not just anyone can make a X-Wing kit. That may be why 3D printing thrives for Sci Fi. There is no official "Ghost" kit, but there are a lot of STL files for one. Ok, I am babbling. All Done.

I just realized I misremembered the maker of those Star Wars kits-it was MPC, not AMT. Though AMT issued the original Star Trek models, and I loved the Enterprise kit-whatever Hyperscalers today might say about it. I never did get around to building the entire Star Fleet, though.
No, you were right. They were originally MPC, then AMT, then AMT Ertyl, then Ertyl, then now back to MPC. It's all the same company now, apparently.

I just finished Picard season three and have to say I’d really love a styrene kit of the Titan.
you may be aware, there is a company called Horner shipyards that 3d prints the titan with optional decals depending on what version you want. Its currently available in 1/1400 scale, but they are working on a larger 1/1000 in the near future. kinda pricey but i like how mine looks lol

Latest posts

Back